30 replies to this topic

#16 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford
Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

The thing that makes me wonder most, which Adrian has stated himself, is that it starts the car once then thats it the car forgets the key. I'm seriously starting to think yours is one of the few Ford set up with user programming of PATs turned off. Gaz, what do you think, would it be feasable that the car learns the code, but when the ignition is turned off again its set not to remember the code permanently????

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk5 Fiesta

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

The thing that makes me wonder most, which Adrian has stated himself, is that it starts the car once then thats it the car forgets the key. I'm seriously starting to think yours is one of the few Ford set up with user programming of PATs turned off. Gaz, what do you think, would it be feasable that the car learns the code, but when the ignition is turned off again its set not to remember the code permanently????

Don't know about the remote keys but with the normal keys you can use them once even if they aren't programmed. As long as you used a programmed key before using the unprogrammed one. I did this with a ka once. Used the new key after just getting it cut without thinking. It started the car fine when the owner was standing next to me. Then turned the engine of and handed them the keys. They went to set off but couldn't get the car to start using the new key! :lol:

#18 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

So that could well be the problem then.

#19 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

Could well be. But if hes reprogramming the key right then why is it still doing it?

#20 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

Because user programming is disabled. As you stated if you use an unknown key it works once as long as a known key was used before it, which is what he is saying is happening. Therefore we dont actually know if the car is in PATS learning mode as it doesnt chime or anything when programming PATS. Least mine didnt when I programmed my jag keyfob.

#21 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

I thought it said in a previous post that it did chime. Must of been in another topic

If it doesn't chime after holding the key fob button down then the PATS programming must be disabled

#22 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

Mine deffo didnt chime when programming PATS just when programming central locking.

#23 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

To the best of my knowledge, you can always programme the remote central locking even if PATS is turned off. But you cant programme it to the immobiliser. Which would explain in this case why the car will only start once with the new key.

No chimes = PATS off? Pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong

#24 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

PATS is the immobilisor mate. Passive Anti Theft System. I believe on earlier fords PATS1 controlled a seperate immobiliser Bosch I believe, on early mondeos this is true. Then with PATS2 which is what all current Fords have it was more integrated into the engine management system rather than a seperate immobiliser

#25 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

Sorry, what I ment was;

No chimes = the ability to programme the key to PATS by using the keys has been turned off

#26 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

Cant be, mine definitely had no chime and I've programmed my jag key myself. I do believe however, if theres no chime after turning ignition to position 2 4 times in 6 seconds to programme central locking that means that parts disabled using the keys.

#27 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

I haven't programmed a key the old fashioned way myself for a while now but am sure it only chimes after you press and hold the button on the key you're programming

#28 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

Trust me mate, I've done them loads of times. After turning the ignition off for the 4th time it should chime then it chimes again when you press a button.

#29 gaz6076

gaz6076

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

Kl kl. Well if its not chiming for him then looks like its a trip to the dealers or sum1 with diagnostic equipment ;)

#30 adrian109

adrian109

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus
Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hi Guys,

Just to update you - I changed the key fob for one with the exact same part code as I one I already had and working. This time the PATS programming stuck! I programmed it using the normal instructions and its starting the car all the time now. My problem must have been because the fob I tried first with a different part code was not compatible.

Thanks for all your advice has saved me a trip to the dealer which is always good!! :-)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users