Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Spill When Pumping Gas

ForTim

I have Focus 2007 1,8 TDCI. When I try to pump gas (it's a diesel) at full speed, gasoline comes back out of the fuel filler neck. I tried at two pump stations. I can refuel slowly.

I've just bought a car, and I don't know about it's history. I went to the service and the serviceman checked the fuel and air tubes, but found nothing.

Any idea?

I had a similar problem on my last Ford, I cured it by feeding a length of clean dry garden hose pipe down the fuel filler to check for obstructions, pulled the hose pipe out it looked clean and on the next fill all was OK again, it's worth a try.

That's what my serviceman also did, pulled it all the way down after he detached the fuel filler, but didn't help.

I have Focus 2007 1,8 TDCI. When I try to pump gas (it's a diesel) at full speed, gasoline comes back out of the fuel filler neck. I tried at two pump stations. I can refuel slowly.

I've just bought a car, and I don't know about it's history. I went to the service and the serviceman checked the fuel and air tubes, but found nothing.

Any idea?

A mate of mine recently bought a mk2 and had the same trouble,

Took it back to the garage and they denied that it could happen.

So he handed the sales man a 5 euro note and said "try put that much in the tank"

Sales man got soaked in diesel and they replaced the filler pipe from tank to flap.

..Sales man got soaked in diesel and they replaced the filler pipe from tank to flap.

If that's the solution, fine. But, what's the problem? Isn't the filler pipe just pipe, how can it be damaged? I understand that if it's clogged it doesn't work, but when you pull some rubber pipe all the way down the filler pipe, what's the obstacle then? Maybe it should've been done with some flexible scrubber...

If that's the solution, fine. But, what's the problem? Isn't the filler pipe just pipe, how can it be damaged? I understand that if it's clogged it doesn't work, but when you pull some rubber pipe all the way down the filler pipe, what's the obstacle then? Maybe it should've been done with some flexible scrubber...

I'll ask him next time I see em but I think he said it was a problem with the capless filler end of the pipe

Some spring or somthing inside was failing to open fully when the nozzle from the pump was inserted.

Have a look at this, it shows the flap design inside the easyfuel system so you can see how the inner mechanism works.

It may well be that most fuel pumps just don't have long enough nozzles to fully disengage the mechanism.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/Easy%20Fuel.pdf

• 3 months later...

I haven't solved this yet, although I tried a second time, when my tank was empty, so it was disengaged. My Focus is early 2007, I don't have Easy Fuel system. Replacement fuel filler is 250 euros plus work.

There are a number of people with the same problem:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299394

http://forums.focaljet.com/mk-i-tech/563585-problems-gas-tank-when-filling-up.html

Later link mentions some Ford TSB 07-08-01.

There is some solution which I have to try titled "Gas Tank Won't Fill? Let me show you how to fix it!":

youtube.com/watch?v=ksHqjydj5bA

• 2 months later...

Hello all.

I still have the same problem with this. Both the fuel filler and air tubes look clean, so it must be something with the filler mechanism.

Probably like Lenny said: "Some spring or something inside was failing to open fully when the nozzle from the pump was inserted." although I don't understand whether it's fuel or air that's not open in that case.

Can someone post that Ford TSB 07-08-01?

Thank you

• 7 months later...

This was solved by proper positioning of simple irreversible valve in the fuel filler.

Glad to see you managed to get it solved in the end, and thanks for coming back after such a long time to tell us!

So was it an expensive fix in the end?

It was rather inexpensive at the end, just 2 hours of work - taking off everything - to find out it was a simple problem, a plastic (irreversible/check?) valve at the bottom of the filler neck.

I remembered to explain this for somebody else's sake, having in mind my own troubles.

Hopefully this comes in use to others!