24 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_Focus

Chris_Focus

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2012

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Are these things known for being thirsty? Hard to believe my 210bhp mapped Octavia VRS got me mid to late 40's and that was not hanging about - this thing so far has got me early 40's and has 95bhp less.....and I'm driving it much more gently. That's 25mpg less than what Ford claim on the combined cycle which is a huge difference.

It's only got 2900 miles on the clock - could it be that or do I have to start shouting at the Ford dealer tomorrow?

Again hoping a future remap will sort some of this out as the standard mapping is pretty naff with jumpy laggy response in 1st and 2nd with some torque lacking in the higher gears.

Any other experience welcome.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jimrex

jimrex

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 557 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: 2011 Mk3 Focus, 2009 Mk7 Fiesta
  • Year: 2011

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Mine has 18,000 miles on it now and at best I manage 47mpg. I can maybe see over 50 if I am gentle on a long run, but that's it. I wouldn't compare it to the quoted figures, they are produced in controlled conditions and in no way realistic in real world driving.

Completely agree about 1st gear, would be interested to know what you find out :)

#3 oilburner79

oilburner79

Feet Under The Table

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Name: darren
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec Collection
  • Year: 2000

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'd wait till you have a few more miles under its belt it'll improve as the engine loosens up

#4 Chris_Focus

Chris_Focus

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hmm, been reading about Fiesta owners with the same issues and Ford applying an ECU update which transforms it. 25mpg lower than advertised is horrendous though and for 115bhp, 42mpg is utter garbage. BMW can get 60mpg out of a 320d, and VAG fare better too still giving late 40's/ early 50's with way more poke than this.

It's booked in tomorrow for the steering wheel buttons to be fixed so I'll have a word/ rant. If there is an ECU update then I want it applying.

Mileage wise, yeah I'm expecting it to rise a bit as time goes by - I'd say about 10k and it'll be run in properly. Was like that on the Octy.

#5 FitzyJ

FitzyJ

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec-S

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Mines got just over 4k on the clock and I'm averaging 59mpg. That's sitting at around 60-65mph on a 50 mile trip to work.

#6 Chris_Focus

Chris_Focus

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Mines got just over 4k on the clock and I'm averaging 59mpg. That's sitting at around 60-65mph on a 50 mile trip to work.

Now that I'd be happy with. Only got 370 miles to 3/4 of a tank so far - works out at 42mpg and that's mostly m'way at a straight 70mph with a bit of town here and there. Abysmal considering I've lost 95bhp and even that was giving me 46 - 49mpg.

#7 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,899 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

im afraid there are many complaints that the mpg on newer cars not just ford dont match peoples expectations those figures are achieved using a detuned engine for pure economy and not power to meet eu emission regulations thats the way it is they dont lie the car can achieve say 70mpg under test conditions in a lab they should put up real world mpg figures also but dont

#8 Chris_Focus

Chris_Focus

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Trouble is this isn't just lower than the manufacturers claims but actually quite poor in general. 42mpg average for a 1.6 diesel producing moderate levels of power is awful in the scheme of things and as such there must be something amiss. The fact it's 25mpg lower than the manufacturers claims (which encouraged me to buy the car) are just adding insult to injury. :(

We'll see what Ford say - it's in there today having this and a few other things looked at including:

Steering wheel buttons not working
Keyless entry sometimes freaks out - it tries to lock itself rather than unlock when you grab the handle
Occasional hesitation on the m'way after applying power

#9 Amir

Amir

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi (109) 2007

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Now that I'd be happy with. Only got 370 miles to 3/4 of a tank so far - works out at 42mpg and that's mostly m'way at a straight 70mph with a bit of town here and there. Abysmal considering I've lost 95bhp and even that was giving me 46 - 49mpg.

I have exactly the same problem with my recently bought Focus 1.6 TDCi (2007). According to the owner's manual, it should be above 55mpg, however I am getting 38mpg instead! which is kind of disappointing. Next week I'll try to change air filter as well as engine oil and will let you know if there is any improvement!

#10 minnis

minnis

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: SEAT Ibiza ST 1.2 TSi

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

To all of you with a mk3 focus, take this with a pinch of salt as I've got a mk2, but Amir listen up! I have a 2006 1.6tdci Ghia, with the 110bhp engine. My journeys include mainly short (15-20 mins) motorway trips, and occasional short trips - going to and from uni, (m'way) and stuff like to the shops and back. This gets me 50-55mpg. When I first bought the car (in summer hols, before uni had started) I was doing very short trips of about 1 mile per journey most days. This got me about 40mpg. Don't forget that it's winter, and personally my mpg has been affected quite a lot in the weather. The day after I bought the car, I did an a-road run (40-50mph roads) and got 65mpg at the end, but I haven't been able to replicate this in the colder weather.
Hope this helps :).

#11 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,899 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

in honesty the issue and no offence is down to naivety on the buyers part any amount of research on that model would tell you
1. the figures are based on test conditions not real world no car will hit the claimed figures as we do not drive in optimum temperatures on flat roads etc etc etc rule of thumb is take the lowest mpg figure qouted and that will be around the right mark
2.the manufacturer doesnt lie the car can achieve that figure in perfect conditions
3.diesels are useless if you drive less than 15k a year or short /town journeys the mpg will be poorer than a petrol

as for the other comments ie keyless entry steering wheel buttons keyless entry has been or is being dropped by other manufacturers as they found the car was easier to steal and the rf signal can be copied by small crooks with a 300 pound device (serach bmw thefts} and that it was going faulty as you have stated ford have went ahead with it and its biting them in the backside i know the keyless entry is a big issue with the dealers who are getting onto ford about a fix as they get it in the neck from customers there are updates to the ecu to try and solve the issue some work some dont

the steering buttons ive heard 2 theories so far 1 is that microsoft developed the interior system ie stereo voice control etc and its flawed i know for a fact that the buttons stop working the voice control can have a mind of its own and stereos can switch on at full volume as yet theres no fix from microsoft to ford dealers are rebooting the system and hoping for the best. 2 was that some wiree states owners there have been lawsuits against ford and microsoft s hadnt been connected at the factory

#12 footfistart

footfistart

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Name: Ryan
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 tdci 110

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Ive got a 60 plate 1.6tdci and im getting 65mpg Driving normally and thats doing town and motorway driving. It's got 25k on the clock. Is imagine just needs more running in to loosen it up abit :)

#13 Chris_Focus

Chris_Focus

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

in honesty the issue and no offence is down to naivety on the buyers part any amount of research on that model would tell you
1. the figures are based on test conditions not real world no car will hit the claimed figures as we do not drive in optimum temperatures on flat roads etc etc etc rule of thumb is take the lowest mpg figure qouted and that will be around the right mark
2.the manufacturer doesnt lie the car can achieve that figure in perfect conditions
3.diesels are useless if you drive less than 15k a year or short /town journeys the mpg will be poorer than a petrol

as for the other comments ie keyless entry steering wheel buttons keyless entry has been or is being dropped by other manufacturers as they found the car was easier to steal and the rf signal can be copied by small crooks with a 300 pound device (serach bmw thefts} and that it was going faulty as you have stated ford have went ahead with it and its biting them in the backside i know the keyless entry is a big issue with the dealers who are getting onto ford about a fix as they get it in the neck from customers there are updates to the ecu to try and solve the issue some work some dont

the steering buttons ive heard 2 theories so far 1 is that microsoft developed the interior system ie stereo voice control etc and its flawed i know for a fact that the buttons stop working the voice control can have a mind of its own and stereos can switch on at full volume as yet theres no fix from microsoft to ford dealers are rebooting the system and hoping for the best. 2 was that some wiree states owners there have been lawsuits against ford and microsoft s hadnt been connected at the factory

Hmm, ok thanks for the info. I've owned a number of diesels before including

Pug 405 1.9D
Pug 405 1.9TD
Pug 306 2.0 HDi
Citroen Xantia 1.9TD
Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 TDi
Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDi

And then this.....it's my 14th car overall (I've not included the petrols in the above list).

So far it's been the most juicy to be honest (for example I had to rag the Octavia to get it down to early 40's) but based on what people are saying it may well be down to a running in process as it is only just breaking the 3000 mile point. I read somewhere else that these engines take quite a while to run in - the Octavia was pretty much loosened up by about 5k. As I say I'm not expecting 67mpg or anything close but I was expecting more than 42 - something like 50 perhaps based on the engine size and power. I'll give it some time. :) Also I commute 74 miles a day down the M62/ A1 so I am well in diesel territory.

Re the buttons, Ford have now had to take the steering wheel off and keep it for an extra day. Think this is more than a software issue......
As for the rest we'll see when I collect it.

Cheers,

Chris.

#14 jimrex

jimrex

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 557 posts
  • Ford Model: 2011 Mk3 Focus, 2009 Mk7 Fiesta

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

..based on what people are saying it may well be down to a running in process as it is only just breaking the 3000 mile point. I read somewhere else that these engines take quite a while to run in - the Octavia was pretty much loosened up by about 5k.

Mine has done 18k though and has had little improvement from when it was at 3k, so I wouldn't expect miracles :P

#15 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,899 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

neither would i the reviews are as you guys are saying the fuel economy is poor given what it was claimed to do the real world mpg site 45.3 mpg

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users