Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speed Camera

k13r4n

on the average speed camera front i recently bought a tomtom xxl sat nav and noticed that when i recently went to duxford on the A14 through the average speed cameras it calculates your average speed on the nav through that area nice bit of kit to have if going into areas you dont usully frequent. also changes colour if you are over the limit on a particular speed limit say doing 45 in a 40 goes to red as a visual warning.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stoney871

• k13r4n

• Brigante

• Haz93

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup! The A14 through Cambridgeshire is one long average slog. They stick roadworks in, reduce the limit to 50 in places and adjust the cameras to catch people's impatience. Cruise control is one of the best ways of ensuring you don't get a ticket through average cameras ;)

you cant use cruise control on the a14 most times!

try them mobile vans round my way despite them meant to have signs up and be visible they hide in any little corner they can ive usually got the kids in the car so im not speeding but the sneaky way they do it gets up my nose its a money making exercise if they wanted to decrese speed on those areas they would have proer cameras up

Dash decent of you dear chap. :D

Well I have to bribe my police officer friends with something ;-)

Well I have to bribe my police officer friends with something ;-)

Are you trying to influence an officer of the laze

Naughty ;)

It's ok, I got pinged by a mobile van myself a few months back, they do have a habit of parking in a blind spot at the point of a rise in a road to catch people coming over the top.

One of the local favourites is a flyover that goes from 40 to 30 and they sit between that speed change point and an existing fixed camera.

just have some dinuts in the car im sure they would let you off lol

Hint- I like custard ones ;)

Lol ok I shall remember this !

Gatso speed cameras aren't licenced for use on traffic coming towards them because of the flash being dangerous when facing you, so even if you were flashed by one, the police are not legally allowed to act on it. In any case, Gatso speed cameras should flash twice (so that even if the radar measure in the camera is wrong, they can measure your speed against the ruler on the road) and it's rumoured that they function differently when the film is full or not installed, i.e. they allegedly flash drivers as a deterrent even without recording the images!

Interesting reading but i have a question about these !Removed! average speed cameras. Does anyone know how they actually work or how they calculate the average speed. Ok on the face of it, it might look like a stupid question but i have heard a lot of different stories about these things i just wanted to know fact from fiction. i'm asking because whoever decides to widen roads had decided that my beloved A23 needs an extra lane so speed had been reduced to 40 and road works till 2014 yes 2014!

this is how the SPECS average cameras work - Using a pair of Video cameras. The first is positioned at a fixed point on the road a second camera is positioned further along the carriageway. As vehicles pass between the cameras they are digitally recorded. The time which it takes the vehicle to travel between both points is used to calculate the average speed of the vehicle.

this is how the SPECS average cameras work - Using a pair of Video cameras. The first is positioned at a fixed point on the road a second camera is positioned further along the carriageway. As vehicles pass between the cameras they are digitally recorded. The time which it takes the vehicle to travel between both points is used to calculate the average speed of the vehicle.

Cheers mate but I've heard that if u swap lanes lanes between the cameras you will be fine and guessing by that explanation it might MIGHT just be right as there are two cameras for two lanes. Or are they both wired to the same thing? So it wouldn't really matter what lane you are in. I have had enough of the !Removed! things and they are gonna be there for the next at least 18 or so months. Looks like I've got a new hatred of the damn things .

Average speed cameras in a zone are wired into the same system so changing lanes will make no difference whatsoever.

A zone recently set up in Plymouth catches approximately 80% of all speeders in the city and all within less than a half mile.

The problem is people still don't know how an average speed system works and still speed between cameras dropping back to 30 when passing them.

I have nothing to add, except I LOVE CUSTARD DOHNUTS aswell, always sold out by the time I get there!

I've never come across specs cameras myself but if what I read some years ago they record you speed going in and out and y our suppose to stay at or below the posted speed ? although my brother in law says when he passes they he regularly sees people blasting through.

fingers crossed you don't get a ticket

Specs systems know exactly how long it takes to travel from one camera to another at the calibrated speed.

You go over it, you pay.

I recently did a speed awareness course (yes i know, i should be setting an example and all that tosh) and out of 24 of us there, 23 were caught on the same average speed zone. (not me, i was caught by one of my fellow Officers in a camera van, the b'stard)

ive heard that if you have had a 3 year clear of any points/convictions you get the chance to pay £70 and a speed awareness course and not the points. however if you dont pay the £70 and do the course you get the points.

well thats what they seem to do around these parts.

have you seen in the news regarding a bus crash with an audi r8? that was related to a speed camera. basically they reckon the audi was doing over a ton, saw the speed camera for a 30mph zone and decided to go on the other side of the road and head on into a bus...obviously this killed the r8 driver but only whiplash to the bus driver..,..

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news//tm_headline=gosforth-horror-crash-answers-still-being-sought%26method=full%26objectid=32101581%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

This speed camera is very popular and i used to drive through it all the time when driving the buses. especially on a night you would see the taxi's being flashed. very bright so you know when its gone off.

The course I did was £80, no points and no notification of insurers.

You're correct that you get one chance in 3 years.

Typical Audi drivers, they think that they can do anything they like. A-holes.

£70-£80 still that's nothing compared to gaining 3 points and having to tell your insurer as no doubt premiums increase to a ridiculous price.

I had a good butchers when i was in the depot at the bus... and it made me think how lucky i was...as i spend most of my time driving in gosforth.

The audi owner is known on a bus route and always complains to the drivers and company that buses get really close to his car (even though he parks it in a certain way that makes it really hard for a bus to get past) well safe to say he pushed it and got too close to a bus on this occasion and it cost him and his family dearly.

the bus that he smashed into, is known, to be cursed. The first accident was within the first two weeks of being delivered to the depot. This involved my father, he ran over a student...the student lived but had a sore head. a few weeks later in august, when newcastle was flooded, the same bus was trapped and was flooded out... several passengers had to be recovered by emergency services. ive drove this same bus and had several close calls... probs now see why we call it cursed.

they have to send the letter out within 14 days on cameras you have a 10% +2 grace before you get pinged so at 30 you need to be over 35, 40 is over 46 and so on and a friend of mine who was quite high in the police said that most units wont bother pulling you on a motorway unless your over 81.

in regards to the main post if the lens was circular then you could be in trouble as I think they are front facing where as the boxed lens is captures the rear of the vehicle.

they have to send the letter out within 14 days on cameras you have a 10% +2 grace before you get pinged so at 30 you need to be over 35, 40 is over 46 and so on and a friend of mine who was quite high in the police said that most units wont bother pulling you on a motorway unless your over 81.

in regards to the main post if the lens was circular then you could be in trouble as I think they are front facing where as the boxed lens is captures the rear of the vehicle.

We've stopped the + 2 in Sussex I'm afraid, B) not sure about other forces, check Devon with Stoney.

Thats interesting about tolerances I didnt know about the 10% + 2mph but now only 10% with some forces. Does anyone know the tolerance in Dorset ?

No real issue for me I drive as slow as miss daisy! lol I drive for economy and a a cheap so and so! Always it means I leave the petrol without crying as much!

I do have to admit over in Dorset there seems an ever increasing amount of speed/safety(my bum) vans littered dangerously and sneakily. I do get a bit sick and tired about hearing there caught no excuse campaign all a load of tosh 100% pure money making.

It does seem a harsh penalty for people who stray a few miles over, but fair play to people who bomb it around like maniacs and get caught! Its no so much they speed they drive its the lack of driving ability that makes them lethal.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club