Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Double Din Cd Player

PaulE

Hey, a few days a go I posted a topic and asked for help with a facia for my new alpine double din unit.

One of you guys sent me a link, and violla - It's done!

It's got bluetooth, aux and ipod, I've wired the mic from behind the stereo, under the steering column, up the drivers pillar and it's in the corner of my windscreen now. Very good call quality, steering controls work perfect, I can't fault a single thing.

I can change the colour of the LED's in it, and I'm thinking of either keeping them blue, and adding blue footwell lighting, and changing all the heater controls to bluue.

OR; I can change it to red, add red lighting, and add the submarine style interior light.

Not sure yet.

post-37634-0-09112100-1351117596_thumb.j

post-37634-0-78017000-1351117597_thumb.j

post-37634-0-39096300-1351117599_thumb.j

post-37634-0-26301900-1351117601_thumb.j

post-37634-0-41028300-1351117603_thumb.j

post-37634-0-24889500-1351117605_thumb.j

post-37634-0-52357000-1351117606_thumb.j

I think it may have been me :).

Looks nice and tidy, did you manage to fit the cage or did it not need one in the end?

I reckon blue with blue footwells and courtesy light, bit biased though as that's my favourite colour theme.

I think it was, thank you for your help!

In the end, I needed both the cage, and the fascia.

Alpine supply a 113mm cage, and the facia needs a 103mm cage.

I'm swaying towards the blue too, also because it's cheaper than adding the submarine lighting.

I might go for window tints too, It's a three door so I reckon it could look pretty cool.

That looks great. What model Alpine is it please, I want to do something like that.

Cheers.

Max

Hi Max,

Thanks for the kind words.

The alpine is;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_868945_langId_-1_categoryId_265857

You will also need this;

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-dfpk0717-ford-focus-2006-double-din-silver-fascia-panel-adaptor-p-26676.html

That includes both the cage, and the facia - You'll find them priced online separately too - but make sure you get both, because you'll need both.

You'll need a focus wiring loom;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_838413_langId_-1_categoryId_265880

You'll need the multistalk adapter for steering controls (currently 50p in the clearance!)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_230531_langId_-1_categoryId_237503

The microphone etc is included, literally everything you need is above, apart from ford focus radio keys to remove the existing 6000cd.

Hi Paul, that Alpine looks fantastic and you've done a great job on the install.

Can you tell me if it has a USB port on the rear?

I have an old iPod that sits permanently in my glovebox. It connects to my single-din Kenwood via a rear USB and the cable is behind the dash.

That way nobody can see it, and it stays permanently connected and always on charge, and I am able to skip tracks etc from the steering column control

But all the double-din units I see have the USB connector on the front, which is no use to me because I don't want a highly-visible lead sticking out all the time.

(this is why I've previously rejected the model in Scoobymax's link)

If the Alpine has a rear socket then it could be a winner for me (especially at that price). If not, then I'll have to keep looking

Looks really good that. :D

Hi Paul, that Alpine looks fantastic and you've done a great job on the install.

Can you tell me if it has a USB port on the rear?

I have an old iPod that sits permanently in my glovebox. It connects to my single-din Kenwood via a rear USB and the cable is behind the dash.

That way nobody can see it, and it stays permanently connected and always on charge, and I am able to skip tracks etc from the steering column control

But all the double-din units I see have the USB connector on the front, which is no use to me because I don't want a highly-visible lead sticking out all the time.

(this is why I've previously rejected the model in Scoobymax's link)

If the Alpine has a rear socket then it could be a winner for me (especially at that price). If not, then I'll have to keep looking

I'm afraid not, which is a pain - I do wonder if it's possible to open the unit though, and wire a second one to the back, even if it hangs loose - and just leave the first one there for show.

I'd like that feature also, but it does have bluetooth audio. My phone can transmit music through bluetooth without any cabling.

OR; The other option, which I may take a punt on is linked below;

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/27611962/648982607/Delock-USB-Stick-4GB-Nano/ListingDetails.html?_$ja=tsid%3a11518%7ccat%3a27611962%7cprd%3a27611962

Something like that would allow you to store 4gb of music on it, and remain in the front - still not ideal though.

I do wonder if it's possible to open the unit up, and take the wiring from the usb port out the back, adding a second, loose usb port which could be back loading so to say.

Yeah, it would have to be a rear socket.

bluetooth is not the answer because I have an iPod Classic with over 8000 songs on it, and they don't have bluetooth.

Unfortunately the 4gb memory stick you linked to isn't suitable because it isn't large enough, my iPod is 60gb.

The iPod lives in the glovebox, I never need to touch it, and I can select playlists etc from the head unit and skip track from the column controls (but is usually stays on random)

Odd that so few head units can accommodate a semi-permanent installation like this.

• 3 months later...

hi paule i know its a bit late to add to this but is fitting this cd player easy to do

thanks in advance

nick :)

Hi Nick, if you have fitted radios before, its not to bad really. The most awkward bit is having all the extra wires, extended looms and the bit to keep the steering wheel or stalk controls. Its VERY tight for space behind the headunit and can be difficult to sit the new unit back into position after fitting, but a bit of brute force works a treat lol.

+1 what mike says.

Hardest bit is wedging the thing back in with all the extra wires behind.

For your reference though i did make a guide while fitting my double din head unit. A link to it can be found in my signature and you can find it in the focus guides section.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club