Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Tdci Titanium Fuel Economy 59 Plate Uk

John Bloomfield

Hi Guys

I have a 2.0 TDCI 140bhp Mondeo on a 59 plate.

I do a lot of round the doors driving with one or two motorway runs of around 40mile each per week.

I'm generally getting about 42mpg according to the convers+ dash. If I do a long run only it can go up to around 55.

I thought this was OK better than the merc I had before anyway. A mate has 55 plate 2 litre and does similar driving pattern to me (we both work from home and do the same job) he reckons he averages abou 55mpg per tank.

Is it just his model is more economical or should I be getting more than I am.

Intersted to know what others with the same version as myself are getting.

its because your mondeo being newer is bigger and heavier

I have the same car as you but a 08. I do mixed driving 35 miles a day 25 ish on the M56 i get 40mpg ave i can live with that. I hit it quite hard now and the too ;) better than my last X5 3.0i doing 15ave ha ha

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have a 2.0 TDCI 140bhp Mondeo on a 59 plate.

I thought this was OK better than the merc I had before anyway. A mate has 55 plate 2 litre and does similar driving pattern to me (we both work from home and do the same job) he reckons he averages abou 55mpg per tank.

His is a 130 bhp engine, which may make a small difference.

I'm generally getting about 42mpg according to the convers+ dash. If I do a long run only it can go up to around 55.

The long run fuel economy sounds about right - it is about what I get, I can see 60 briefly, but with motorway traffic, braking events and jams 55 mpg is more realistic over a run. The 42 mpg is the one that seems a bit low, but that depends a lot on how bad the traffic is and how much you are on and off the brakes, idling, how many cold starts, using air con, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 60-plate TitX estate 2.0 163 powershift and I used to get 38mpg round the doors until the fuel vaporiser thingy got replaced under warranty. Now I get 36.5!

Even on a long run on motorways and A-roads I only get 40.2 - which is WAY off the published figures (which I know are generous at best).

Anyone know a decent re-map company in the North East? I'd prefer a re-map instead of a plug-in unit / chip then I don't have to inform the insurance company!

Not to burst your bubble but all modifications have to be declared, including a remap.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know a decent re-map company in the North East? I'd prefer a re-map instead of a plug-in unit / chip then I don't have to inform the insurance company!

Assuming you never got this sorted, try giving your Mondeo an 'Italian Tune-Up'.

I have basically the same car as 'Engine Chris', albeit the manual and I was getting 33mpg average on last two tanks (450ish from a tank).

Then the 'Italian Tune-Up' was mentioned over on 'Talk Ford'.

Here's the bones of a message I posted directly after carrying out the 'Italian Tune-Up'

--------------------------------------------------

I managed to achieve and maintain 54.5mpg whilst doing 65-70 on the M6 and also on local 30-40mph roads too.

When I set off this morning on a 250+ mile round trip, I decided I was gonna give my motor an 'Italian Tune-Up' as mentioned in various posts on TF (Talk Ford).

On the motorway, I got up to approx 75mph @ 3000rpm in 4th gear and kept her there for 20 minutes using cruise control.

During this time, the fuel consumption stayed at around 32mpg.

The ECO symbols on the Convers+ dropped from full to one segment!ohmy.png

Just before setting off back home, I brimmed the tank with Shell V-Power as opposed to BP ULtimate that I've been using since getting the car back in August.

What a difference!

• Seems more powerful
  • Drive seems smoother
  • Consumption seems better
  • Engine sounds quieter

Now the reason I say "it may be to early to get too excited" is that there are so many variables.

• It may be due to the 'Italian Tune-Up'
  • It may be due to the change of fuel
  • It may be because the BBTB has had a good run out

Miles to empty at one point was reading over 520+ miles after covering 120 miles (overall total 640+ miles), which has never been the case since I purchased the car.

Calculations from previous two fill-ups:

356 miles from 49 litres (33mpg)

465 miles from 60 litres (35mpg)

So to anyone suffering the p!55 poor mpg with the 163, get it on the motorway and give it an 'Italian Tune-Up'.

In hindsight, I should really have brimmed it with BP Ultimate again to rule out the brand of fuel.......

--------------------------------------------------

So, in summary that is:

Fourth Gear

3000 RPM

75 MPH

20 Minutes

Hope you get it sorted.