Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Diesel Engined C-Max To Go For?

Quantum Mechanic

Hi. I'm looking at buying a Focus c-max diesel in the next year or so, around a 2005 model and wondered which engine is the best of the three; 1.6 (109 bhp), 1.8 (115 bhp) or 2.0 (136 bhp). Each appear to be in a different road tax bracket but that's not too much of an issue as they are still fairly close together price-wise and the MPG doesn't seem to be that much different according to Ford figures? I'll probably go for the Ghia too trim to get the most out of the gadgets available.

I have owned lots of Fords over the years, including a 2001 Focus Est 1.6 LX Petrol) that was a nice car. I would be grateful for any advice/reviews etc... Thanks.

Hi. I'm looking at buying a Focus c-max diesel in the next year or so, around a 2005 model and wondered which engine is the best of the three; 1.6 (109 bhp), 1.8 (115 bhp) or 2.0 (136 bhp). Each appear to be in a different road tax bracket but that's not too much of an issue as they are still fairly close together price-wise and the MPG doesn't seem to be that much different according to Ford figures? I'll probably go for the Ghia too trim to get the most out of the gadgets available.

I have owned lots of Fords over the years, including a 2001 Focus Est 1.6 LX Petrol) that was a nice car. I would be grateful for any advice/reviews etc... Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

The 1.8TDCi is a great solid engine with good fuel efficency.

The 1.6TDCi is prone to turbo failure.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have a 2010 reg C Max with the 1.8 diesel.

6,000 on the clock when I got it. Now has 13,000. Mpg is 40 around town and not a lot more cruising the motorways.

Goes very well and lots of oomph compared to my 2002 ECO Astra with its £30 road tax and huge mpg.

Way above 60mpg cruising in the Vauxhall but no oomph at all.

Averaging 43 mpg in all conditions now. Auto trader suggests 50+ never seen anything like that.

Otherwise a lovely motor and way ahead of the Astra.

Not a load carrier as the seats tip and fold forward. Not tried taking them out yet.

No spare wheel, in the wheel well there is a pump and goo and not to my liking.

Ordered a steel wheel and the kit to instal it in the car inc new jack etc as it doesn't have that either.

Lets hope it fits. Comes with the kit to secure it to the floor etc. Will it sit proud. About to find out. If not then I will pack it out. Hoping that the wheel is full size. Never thought to ask. Just ordered the whole kit and caboodle. How can you go out and about and not have a jack. Scary.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or just restart this one given my query is of a similar nature.

I'm in the process of selling my 2005 3dr 2.0 TDCI titanium and getting a more family friendly :-( Diesel CMAX.

Financial considerations mean i've been looking at the 1.6 TDCI 110 [DPF]. However i've seen an exterior facelifted 07 which still has the old dash in it.But having asked the owner he is unaware as to which engine it has in it. NetworkQ site seems to think it's the [DPF] 08, but he says that he pays £100 tax a year so i'm pretty sure it isn't the newer version (He lives 100 miles away so I can't look at the log book even if that would hold the answer. He says it says 109bhp so it's not the 90 bhp version.). My questions are thus:

- Which engine is likely to be in it? It was registered June 2007.

- Was the Euro 4 1.6 diesel ever used in Cmax's?

There is also obviously a lot of concern about turbo failures on the 1.6 TDCI:

- Was this problem rectified on the newer 110 [DPF] 08 engines?

- Was this turbo failure a problem for the 2.0 TDCI 136 engines?

Sorry for the ramble. Hope someone with more nouse than I can shed some light on the above.

Cheers!

The air outlet circulation pipe on the newer 1.6TDCi has been re-designed to help relieve pressure from the turbo better,

If unsure about any ford; get the reg and type it in to ford etis for full information on build date to engine model and chassie number all for FREE!!

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=3FE0BFA1F460FC1CF92C53C7C490AAAA.eccvas502

The 1.6TDCi engine is helped if serviced in compliance with manufacturers spec.

As a precaution you could get the turbo oil feed pipe replaced as it is this part that blocks with oil causing oil starvation in the turbo as result overheats and PoP!

The air outlet circulation pipe on the newer 1.6TDCi has been re-designed to help relieve pressure from the turbo better,

If unsure about any ford; get the reg and type it in to ford etis for full information on build date to engine model and chassie number all for FREE!!

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=3FE0BFA1F460FC1CF92C53C7C490AAAA.eccvas502

The 1.6TDCi engine is helped if serviced in compliance with manufacturers spec.

As a precaution you could get the turbo oil feed pipe replaced as it is this part that blocks with oil causing oil starvation in the turbo as result overheats and PoP!

Cheers for that Lenny do I have to register to be able to use reg number as it's only giving me the option of using VIN number?

As for the turbo oil feed pipe is it a relatively minor job? The CMAX i've seen appears to have full Ford history but from what i've read this doesn't always make a difference due to length between service schedules?