22 replies to this topic

#1 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hi,

I have a 1.8 TDCi Zetec - Diesel. 05 plate (66,000 miles on the clock) was registered just before the new shape came out so it is a Focus (A)

Last year, I had some major problems starting the car up. It would chug and tick but eventually start. I took it to a garage and the guy changed the glow plugs, This made the car start better for a couple of months then come November the problems returned. So I took it back to the guy and he couldn't diagnose it, Suggested I go get a diagnostic at a Ford garage.

I did that and they came back that the issue was the Flywheel, Clutch and Starter motor, quoted me £1200 to fix this - I nearly cried.

I was recommended a small garage in the area and he said he would do it for 800, still pricey but thought well I need the car and I'll get it sorted. He stripped the flywheel out and it was pretty much in a bad state. He also replaced the clutch, But didnt replace the starter motor as he said it was fine, there was the worry that if that needed replacing too it would cost more.

I got the car back and it was starting better, however it still struggled to start was just making a quieter tick to try turn the engine over. This problem has been on the car since last November. I have since had the exhaust replaced also.

This morning I tried to start the car and it struggled to start (As it normally does) but this time just gave in eventually.

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with their focus, or any suggestions? It certainly points to the starter motor, any ideas what cost I would expect for that etc.

I am also going to check the battery tomorrow, If i can get it started!!

Thanks in advance!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Lawman

• Super Mod
  • 12,875 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'd start by getting the battery checked, start at the cheaper end and work up.
If you do move onto the starter then shop around.
Look for a local place that sells new or reconditioned units and see if a local garage will do the labour for you.
That way you'll save a bit of cash.

#3 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'd start by getting the battery checked, start at the cheaper end and work up.
If you do move onto the starter then shop around.
Look for a local place that sells new or reconditioned units and see if a local garage will do the labour for you.
That way you'll save a bit of cash.

Hi Stoney,

Thanks for the reply. I took the battery out Saturday, charged it up overnight and put it in on Sunday and its starting again.

However when starting it sounds very, very flat.

It took me two attempts to start it this morning and I cant help but think a frosty morning and it just wont start. I'm thinking of going to Ford for a diagnostic check on it. I did do this last year, this was when they said Flywheel and Clutch were the issue. I have had since had both replaced so unsure on what they are going to say next.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

#4 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

sounds like a simple glow plug or glow plug wiring issue

#5 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hi artscot,

Thanks for the reply. I had the glowplugs replaced in September last year, So could potentially just be a wiring issue? Although I cant remember whether ALL glowplugs were replaced or some. I'd imagine it was all, would that make a difference.

Thanks for your answer. Looks like I'm needing to get this checked out asap, Cold weather could cause more damage I fear.

#6 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

If all 4 glow plugs weren't replaced it WILL make a difference, especially with the cold weather kicking in now. I recently replaced mine, and all 4 were dead, and this would have caused a large headache now its cold. Though saying that, mine did throw up a light on the dash, but more than likely because all 4 had finally given up the ghost.

#7 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

as said check to see how many were done sometimes they just replace 1 or 2 other than that it isnt unknown for the wire connecting all the plugs to have a break and only 1 or 2 plugs light

#8 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

It seems that I haven't replaced all glow plugs, so that's my next port of call.

Don't like the throwing of a dice to see whether I get home / work that's for sure.

#9 alz

alz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus LX 1.8 TDCI
  • Year: 2005

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hi, this is a bit of a long shot, but worth a look, it was the egr vavle that whent on my mk2 it took several months of hard starting befor it packed-up, try and block the egr vavle its not hard to do, just around 10mins with 10mm spanner and a small piece of thin tin, lock it between the pipe and egr unit, this was how i got mine going, this fix is only temporary, it cost me £450 with the vat for a new one. fitting cost £100 as a favour.

#10 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

I now have a flashing glow plug light on my dash. Car spluttered to a start on way to work this morning, Then just after I pulled off at a roundabout the light started to flash, Managed to get to work as was about 1 minute away.

Going to garage in the morning with it. I'm assuming this could be almost certainly be glowplugs, however I fear it could be something else.

#11 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

time will tell but it usually is the plugs or associated wires that connect them

#12 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hi, this is a bit of a long shot, but worth a look, it was the egr vavle that whent on my mk2 it took several months of hard starting befor it packed-up, try and block the egr vavle its not hard to do, just around 10mins with 10mm spanner and a small piece of thin tin, lock it between the pipe and egr unit, this was how i got mine going, this fix is only temporary, it cost me 450 with the vat for a new one. fitting cost 100 as a favour.

I take it your car isn't a 1.8tdci then, because as far as I'm aware, its much more than a 10 min job to blank the egr valve on these models...

#13 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

time will tell but it usually is the plugs or associated wires that connect them

Fingers crossed, Cheaper fix I guess haha. Just hope it gets me home tonight :wacko:

#14 stublackett

stublackett

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

Guy at garage seems to think its the starter motor.

I drove to the garage direct from work, the engine started ok at his garage, suggesting glow plugs were warm enough and good enough to get engine started.

Does any of these diagnostics suggest starter motor issue?

#15 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

the engine would start fine its warm and takes less effort from the glow plugs so they dont have to warm as much in honesty it can be anything from a sensor to an injector /ecu and reading the diagnostic code should point you in the direction you need to go i know starters have been replaced on these before and it hasnt solved the issue

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users