Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Up Problems

stublackett

Hi,

I have a 1.8 TDCi Zetec - Diesel. 05 plate (66,000 miles on the clock) was registered just before the new shape came out so it is a Focus (A)

Last year, I had some major problems starting the car up. It would chug and tick but eventually start. I took it to a garage and the guy changed the glow plugs, This made the car start better for a couple of months then come November the problems returned. So I took it back to the guy and he couldn't diagnose it, Suggested I go get a diagnostic at a Ford garage.

I did that and they came back that the issue was the Flywheel, Clutch and Starter motor, quoted me £1200 to fix this - I nearly cried.

I was recommended a small garage in the area and he said he would do it for 800, still pricey but thought well I need the car and I'll get it sorted. He stripped the flywheel out and it was pretty much in a bad state. He also replaced the clutch, But didnt replace the starter motor as he said it was fine, there was the worry that if that needed replacing too it would cost more.

I got the car back and it was starting better, however it still struggled to start was just making a quieter tick to try turn the engine over. This problem has been on the car since last November. I have since had the exhaust replaced also.

This morning I tried to start the car and it struggled to start (As it normally does) but this time just gave in eventually.

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with their focus, or any suggestions? It certainly points to the starter motor, any ideas what cost I would expect for that etc.

I am also going to check the battery tomorrow, If i can get it started!!

Thanks in advance!

I'd start by getting the battery checked, start at the cheaper end and work up.

If you do move onto the starter then shop around.

Look for a local place that sells new or reconditioned units and see if a local garage will do the labour for you.

That way you'll save a bit of cash.

I'd start by getting the battery checked, start at the cheaper end and work up.

If you do move onto the starter then shop around.

Look for a local place that sells new or reconditioned units and see if a local garage will do the labour for you.

That way you'll save a bit of cash.

Hi Stoney,

Thanks for the reply. I took the battery out Saturday, charged it up overnight and put it in on Sunday and its starting again.

However when starting it sounds very, very flat.

It took me two attempts to start it this morning and I cant help but think a frosty morning and it just wont start. I'm thinking of going to Ford for a diagnostic check on it. I did do this last year, this was when they said Flywheel and Clutch were the issue. I have had since had both replaced so unsure on what they are going to say next.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

sounds like a simple glow plug or glow plug wiring issue

Hi artscot,

Thanks for the reply. I had the glowplugs replaced in September last year, So could potentially just be a wiring issue? Although I cant remember whether ALL glowplugs were replaced or some. I'd imagine it was all, would that make a difference.

Thanks for your answer. Looks like I'm needing to get this checked out asap, Cold weather could cause more damage I fear.

If all 4 glow plugs weren't replaced it WILL make a difference, especially with the cold weather kicking in now. I recently replaced mine, and all 4 were dead, and this would have caused a large headache now its cold. Though saying that, mine did throw up a light on the dash, but more than likely because all 4 had finally given up the ghost.

as said check to see how many were done sometimes they just replace 1 or 2 other than that it isnt unknown for the wire connecting all the plugs to have a break and only 1 or 2 plugs light

It seems that I haven't replaced all glow plugs, so that's my next port of call.

Don't like the throwing of a dice to see whether I get home / work that's for sure.

Hi, this is a bit of a long shot, but worth a look, it was the egr vavle that whent on my mk2 it took several months of hard starting befor it packed-up, try and block the egr vavle its not hard to do, just around 10mins with 10mm spanner and a small piece of thin tin, lock it between the pipe and egr unit, this was how i got mine going, this fix is only temporary, it cost me £450 with the vat for a new one. fitting cost £100 as a favour.

I now have a flashing glow plug light on my dash. Car spluttered to a start on way to work this morning, Then just after I pulled off at a roundabout the light started to flash, Managed to get to work as was about 1 minute away.

Going to garage in the morning with it. I'm assuming this could be almost certainly be glowplugs, however I fear it could be something else.

time will tell but it usually is the plugs or associated wires that connect them

Hi, this is a bit of a long shot, but worth a look, it was the egr vavle that whent on my mk2 it took several months of hard starting befor it packed-up, try and block the egr vavle its not hard to do, just around 10mins with 10mm spanner and a small piece of thin tin, lock it between the pipe and egr unit, this was how i got mine going, this fix is only temporary, it cost me £450 with the vat for a new one. fitting cost £100 as a favour.

I take it your car isn't a 1.8tdci then, because as far as I'm aware, its much more than a 10 min job to blank the egr valve on these models...

time will tell but it usually is the plugs or associated wires that connect them

Fingers crossed, Cheaper fix I guess haha. Just hope it gets me home tonight :wacko:

Guy at garage seems to think its the starter motor.

I drove to the garage direct from work, the engine started ok at his garage, suggesting glow plugs were warm enough and good enough to get engine started.

Does any of these diagnostics suggest starter motor issue?

the engine would start fine its warm and takes less effort from the glow plugs so they dont have to warm as much in honesty it can be anything from a sensor to an injector /ecu and reading the diagnostic code should point you in the direction you need to go i know starters have been replaced on these before and it hasnt solved the issue

Hi,

Just an update, I had the starter motor replaced yesterday, Car now starts like a dream.

However when setting off at a little bit extra speed from say a junction or roundabout. The glow plug light comes on on the dash and starts to flash intermittently. The car also loses power - You can only seem to take it to roughly 3k revs before having to shift up.

Any ideas what this would be, this cars costing me a fortune!

as i thought they always change the starter motor and i dont think that was the issue mate it happens all the time really it needs to go to a ford garage to be tested now youre in limp mode and theres still an issue the glow plug light can refer to the ecu or the starter the glowplugs and preheat circuit as i said ide have held off on the starter and had a ford garage look at it and check the fault codes that will be in the ecu

I bet this is an EGR valve issue? Have you checked this out or asked garage to check the EGR. Had similer symptoms on my focus a while ago and it turned out to be the EGR valve...cost £400 for a new one and fitting...worked perfectly after that

Hi Mike 77, yes my car is a 1.8 TDCI 115bp, it only took the AA man less than 10 mins with a 10mm spanner to blank it off. it could be that mine is a mk2 and that the egr vavle is at the top rear of the engine, i think that the old type of egr vavle would be harder to blank off.

thi is my egr vavle

post-2425-0-31072500-1351784386_thumb.jp

Just a query about the current issue I have, it only seems to happen on a morning?

The limp home mode / flashing glow plug light comes on when you put your foot down a bit, say to get out at a roundabout or junction.

Switching the ignition off resets it and the engine seems fine after that again too. Driving home tonight no problems at all

Hi Mike 77, yes my car is a 1.8 TDCI 115bp, it only took the AA man less than 10 mins with a 10mm spanner to blank it off. it could be that mine is a mk2 and that the egr vavle is at the top rear of the engine, i think that the old type of egr vavle would be harder to blank off.

thi is my egr vavle

Mine is a mk2 also lol. But from what ive read its a simple job on the 1.6 and 2litre models, but not this one, but in saying that I was looking to remove the egr completely to clean it, this must be where things get more difficult then.

I am no longer able to replicate this issue. Not too sure why, But it appears to have fixed itself. I've had many drives in the car and no sign of limp home mode. Strange one thats for sure

Hi,

Sorry to bump this back up. But the startup problem is definitley fixed, Its now when the car is running. A slight shift in speed and the glow plug light starts to flash.

This morning the Engine Management light came on and has stayed on since. Putting foot down with the Engine Management light on, creates the flashing glow plug issue and the car also loses power / stalls. I'm reading out and about that this is a fault with the accelerator pedal?

Can anyone suggest?