Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mondeo heater intermittent

benscab

my mondeos heater seems to just work as and when it wants. sometimes the temp guage needle goes up (then heater works) and sometimes needle goes nowhere (then heater doesnt work.

its a 2001 51 plate 2 litre petrol.

You will need to drain the cooling system. Best way of doing that is by removing the pipe at the bottom of the radiator.

Not sure exactly where or how easy is its to get to on the mondeos but at the bulkhead you should see to pipes leading into the car. Be roughly in the middle. You need to remove them as well.

The best way I've found to unblock it its to force water down where you removed one of the pipes and see if it comes out the other one. Don't put too high a pressure in there though or you could damage something. The sort of pressure you would get by sticking your thumb over the end of a garden hose.

I've used a pressure washer before but at a distance :lol: Wouldn't recommend you doing this though.

After removing any blockage connect all the pipes back up and fill the coolant back up. Leave the cap of and let the engine warm up to let it bleed out.

Thermostat sticking?

Could be...

benscab, did you try unblocking the matrix?

waiting for a mate of mine coming over as im not confident enoug to do it myself,just trying to get as much info as possible for him before he gets here.

From my old mondeo days I remember there was an issue with Mk1s that when you turned left the heaters blew cold, turn right and they blew red hot. Cant for the life of me remember the cause of it though I do remember Ford didnt have a clue. Got a funny feeling it meant a new heater matrix though, wasnt as simple as being blocked.

I would try a new thermostat first as there quite cheap. Not sure how easy they are to change on the mondeos though

If your just going to try see if its blocked and then unblocking it, its not that difficult. Just a bit messy. Lol

Depends where the thermostat is located on whether is worth trying is first