Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ice Upgrades

Hassen

my box isnt that heavy but will be once I add the sub - its the weight of the sub that will make the difference.

The fitting of mine is pretty snug. I will try and get some pics this weekend.

I also need to make a mounting plate on the other side so I can mount the amp to it and need to re-route the wires.

Concerning the new head unit, have a look at the guide in my signature n see what you think of my pioneer. It's got ipod/aux inputs, touch screen, input for a reverse parking camera. N if you pay about 40quid more, you can get the bluetooth version which is the 2400bt. Total cost is around 300quid. (240 for the head unit, 60 for the fitting kit) you can even add satnav as a 200quid optional extra. Or if you own an ipod touch or something that has a free satnav app on it, you can connect the ipod to the head unit using app mode n get the satnav on the head unit for free.

The built in amp of the head unit is also great, so i'm noticing a great difference in sound quality just from my stock speakers. So if you already have aftermarket speakers you should be pleased.

Or if you don't wanna pee about with fitting kits n want a plug n play head unit for a decent price, have a look at the none brand head unit thats the shape of the stock oval 6000cd that liam has just bought himself. Looks quality n also has satnav.

http://www.fordowner...ly/#entry220970

Thanks for the info. Had a look at the headunit and had considered it in the past. Only thing that I feel will be an issue is that I don't have any Apple devices ( I just don't like them). My current mp3 player is an old Zune(totally outdated, I know) and my phone is an HTC One S. I was looking and hoping to be able to get google maps from the phone. So far my search has been limited to two models.

1. Pioneer AppRadio 2 SPH-DA100

2. Parrot Asteroid Smart - which is yet to be released and price might be an issue.

Both of them let you run your phone apps on the screen including google maps, which is the one thing I really want to have and have a better sound quality than the stock system. So far, I am leaning towards the Pioneer as it's already available and with all the bits ( steering wheel control, hdmi/mhl adaptor, fascia, cage, antennae adaptor and iso lead) it would be just a tiny bit over budget.

Any other headunits that would give you the same functionality as that one for the android phones?

I really feel that Android phone owners are totally left hung out to dry as there is very little out there and I am sure there is a big enough demand for it. Reckon the manufacturers should get there act together and sort it out as at present there are more android phones being sold than iOS phones. Rant over :P

Thanks for all the info Foca. It sounds great so far.

By the way, the Kenwood speakers I got didn't want to fit in the door. Any 165 cm circular speaker will do for anyone looking to change the speakers. Just cut out the Ford speakers with a hacksaw, leave the black plastic surrounds in the door and screw in the new speakers. No need for adaptors etc. The new speakers will have to be connected to the wires as the Ford connectors will need to be cut out. Not a hard job but a tedious one to manage. Well worth the hassle though :)

Sorry to be dumb...but I can't find any 165cm Speakers. I take it these are for the front door, or rear doors?

Thanks

Rick

dude you want 16.5cm speakers, 165cm are huge!

LOL I was thinking that and I thought, 'that can;t be right....' then I thought was it the perimeter of the cone....think I had a brain !Removed!.......

LOL Thanks Guys!

But I have to get the car sorted 1st, a polish truck driver decided to come into my lane on the motorway, not check his mirrors and take the side of the car off....even the door handles!

ROFL 165cm...my bad. I definitely meant 16.5cm. Speakers were Vibe Slick 6 and happy to report that they are much nicer than the stock Speakers.

RickG, sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you get the car sorted. Some woman decided to do the same thing to me on the motorway recently as she was in the wrong lane and was going to miss her exit. Had to slam on the brakes and nearly ended up in a total disaster as it was rush hour. Some people just don't know how to use their side mirrors and indicators.

As for headunits, further digging brought up another contender, Sony XAV-601BT. This ticks a lot of boxes but the Mirrorlink is not yet available for my phone. I reckon I might take a gamble and get it because the functionality of it all at this pricepoint is simply hard to beat. Plus, the sound quality is supposed to be great.

here's a pic of the sub box as promised, the current hole is 13" but i am replacing it so that it takes a 10" sub. The smaller hole is for the bass port but can be closed off using a Vibe port.

post-28472-0-95442100-1355674760_thumb.j

here's a pic of the sub box as promised, the current hole is 13" but i am replacing it so that it takes a 10" sub. The smaller hole is for the bass port but can be closed off using a Vibe port.

That looks well nice now. How hard is it to get it subwoofer installed in the box given that I have no prior experience? Very tempted with getting a nicer enclosure like yours with a 12" sub. Will have to get in touch with that seller on eBay to see if it could be delivered to Ireland for not a lot of money.

installing the sub isnt hard at all. all you have to do is make sure the wire from the sub to the amp is long enough and drill the holes for the sub carefully - mark them 1st and remove the sub out of the way! you dont want to slip and drill the sub!!!

if that seller on eBay doesnt have a template for the focus then let me know, i will try and get the details of the scottish company that made my box and you can ask them if they can make you one.

Thats a neat job and a good position for the box- it does not encroach too much into the boot space, you can still get at your spare tyre, but it is still quite a large box

13" is a strange size for a speaker drive unit, they normally come in 8" 10" 12", 15" and 18" sizes?

How much did it cost to have that cabinet made? Could I be cheeky and ask for a photograph taken from outside the boot looking in to see how much room it is taking up?

Thats a neat job and a good position for the box- it does not encroach too much into the boot space, you can still get at your spare tyre, but it is still quite a large box

13" is a strange size for a speaker drive unit, they normally come in 8" 10" 12", 15" and 18" sizes?

definately strange to have a 13" sub. I think it was a shallow one to as i am going to have to add some spacers to make my 10" one fit.

How much did it cost to have that cabinet made? Could I be cheeky and ask for a photograph taken from outside the boot looking in to see how much room it is taking up?

i got it off someone who had it made for him, i think he said it was around the £150 mark. i did post a link on this thread (maybe previous page) about a guy in sheffield that can make these too. i will try and get a pic for you so you can see how much space is taken up/left.

Cool.

I am actually relatively satisfied with the audio in my car, I don't really want to add anything, but if there is a way to do it without sacrificing luggage space then it is certainly worth knowing.

After a bit of research on the net, this is what I have found that could be a potential winner to replace the current sub.

It ticks all the right boxes for me:

1. Good quality sound

2. Small footprint and no major loss of boot space

3. Light and compact

4. Well made and that will last. Also, JL Audio are renowned for their sub woofers. Internet reviews are very good for this sub.

5. It can be transferred to the next car fairly easily.

http://www.jlaudio.com/cp108lg-w3v3-car-audio-microsub-subwoofer-systems-93133#

I am thinking this sub paired up with the Vibe Slick 6 Speakers up front, the Blaupunkt 470 GTA and hopefully the Sony XAV 601BT would be a great combination to have. It can all be transfered to the next car down the line and should not crap out anytime soon.

Would like to hear your thoughts about it all coz I know nothing of electronics and I am hoping the amp will be able to drive this sub.

the link isnt showing any products, its takes you to the homepage?

I have found the subs on the link, but there is at least 4 different ones, which one were you considering Hassen?

This is the model I was thinking of was the JL Audio CP108LG-W3V3. It's got an 8" sub woofer and I love how compact it is. Sadly, I don't think there is a shop here in Ireland that would have that model. If anyone knows of a retailer that would have them here, please let me know. Lenny, any ideas? As I would like to hear it in person before commiting to get buy it.

I hope the link works this time. It's on the main JL Audio page

I found it - its a neat little passive sub, 8" driver and compact dimensions, weighs under 8kgs

the amp you have buts out 70w rms per channel (4 channels) into 4 ohms, it claims to be safe into 2 ohms so 2channels bridged (potentially 280w into 4 ohms) should be ok with the little 250w/ 8" speaker,as long as you don't "thrash" it, ideally you may be better with a larger sub speaker that handles a bit more power, (i like the little sub too - i think people often put too big bubs in thier boots, that they dont need and just take up a lot of space)

only 2 of the 4 amplifier channels would be used (as now)

This is the model I was thinking of was the JL Audio CP108LG-W3V3. It's got an 8" sub woofer and I love how compact it is. Sadly, I don't think there is a shop here in Ireland that would have that model. If anyone knows of a retailer that would have them here, please let me know. Lenny, any ideas? As I would like to hear it in person before commiting to get buy it.

I hope the link works this time. It's on the main JL Audio page

Halfords would be the only place if at all,

Not much motorfactors with a big turnover on car audio in the current climate mate, Halfords would be the only place liable to stock

I found it - its a neat little passive sub, 8" driver and compact dimensions, weighs under 8kgs

the amp you have buts out 70w rms per channel (4 channels) into 4 ohms, it claims to be safe into 2 ohms so 2channels bridged (potentially 280w into 4 ohms) should be ok with the little 250w/ 8" speaker,as long as you don't "thrash" it, ideally you may be better with a larger sub speaker that handles a bit more power, (i like the little sub too - i think people often put too big bubs in thier boots, that they dont need and just take up a lot of space)

only 2 of the 4 amplifier channels would be used (as now)

Thanks for all the info Foca. Glad to know I can still use the amp with that sub. Any other suggestions for a small compact sub? I think these would suit me best as I realised that for my uses, I don't need a massive 12" sub in the trunk. I want decent sound quality in a compact size at normal volume levels. Don't want to rattle the whole neighbourhood with my music ;)

Any one else interested in these small subs that are around these days?

Halfords would be the only place if at all,

Not much motorfactors with a big turnover on car audio in the current climate mate, halfords would be the only place liable to stock

Checked on Halfords and they don't bring them sadly Lenny. So far, the only two options available are to get it shipped from either the Uk(no taxes then) or from the USA(will have to pay the tax even though it does work out to be a tad bit cheaper but will take longer to get here).

Any other ideas how I could get it over without paying over the odds for it?

Checked on Halfords and they don't bring them sadly Lenny. So far, the only two options available are to get it shipped from either the Uk(no taxes then) or from the USA(will have to pay the tax even though it does work out to be a tad bit cheaper but will take longer to get here).

Any other ideas how I could get it over without paying over the odds for it?

Get the value marked down to 30dollars or marked as a gift to you, then you will pay little or no import tax.

Or

If you have a friend in the uk the postage within the uk may be free or cheap,

Your friend may ship to ireland for cheaper than the company supplying the sub.

For example;

Mountune want 80pounds postage to send me a set of !Removed! car mats hows that for peak performance and pushing the limits?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club