Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Ford Model: 2011 Focus Zetec Sport MK 2.5
  • Year: 2011

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Cool.

I am actually relatively satisfied with the audio in my car, I don't really want to add anything, but if there is a way to do it without sacrificing luggage space then it is certainly worth knowing.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#92 Hassen

Hassen

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Name: Hassen
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Mk 2.5 1.6TDCI 2010
  • Year: 2010

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

After a bit of research on the net, this is what I have found that could be a potential winner to replace the current sub.

It ticks all the right boxes for me:
1. Good quality sound
2. Small footprint and no major loss of boot space
3. Light and compact
4. Well made and that will last. Also, JL Audio are renowned for their sub woofers. Internet reviews are very good for this sub.
5. It can be transferred to the next car fairly easily.

http://www.jlaudio.c...-systems-93133#

I am thinking this sub paired up with the Vibe Slick 6 speakers up front, the Blaupunkt 470 GTA and hopefully the Sony XAV 601BT would be a great combination to have. It can all be transfered to the next car down the line and should not crap out anytime soon.

Would like to hear your thoughts about it all coz I know nothing of electronics and I am hoping the amp will be able to drive this sub.

#93 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

the link isnt showing any products, its takes you to the homepage?

#94 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

I have found the subs on the link, but there is at least 4 different ones, which one were you considering Hassen?

#95 Hassen

Hassen

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

This is the model I was thinking of was the JL Audio CP108LG-W3V3. It's got an 8" sub woofer and I love how compact it is. Sadly, I don't think there is a shop here in Ireland that would have that model. If anyone knows of a retailer that would have them here, please let me know. Lenny, any ideas? As I would like to hear it in person before commiting to get buy it.
I hope the link works this time. It's on the main JL Audio page

#96 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

I found it - its a neat little passive sub, 8" driver and compact dimensions, weighs under 8kgs

the amp you have buts out 70w rms per channel (4 channels) into 4 ohms, it claims to be safe into 2 ohms so 2channels bridged (potentially 280w into 4 ohms) should be ok with the little 250w/ 8" speaker,as long as you don't "thrash" it, ideally you may be better with a larger sub speaker that handles a bit more power, (i like the little sub too - i think people often put too big bubs in thier boots, that they dont need and just take up a lot of space)

only 2 of the 4 amplifier channels would be used (as now)

#97 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 8,691 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

This is the model I was thinking of was the JL Audio CP108LG-W3V3. It's got an 8" sub woofer and I love how compact it is. Sadly, I don't think there is a shop here in Ireland that would have that model. If anyone knows of a retailer that would have them here, please let me know. Lenny, any ideas? As I would like to hear it in person before commiting to get buy it.
I hope the link works this time. It's on the main JL Audio page

Halfords would be the only place if at all,
Not much motorfactors with a big turnover on car audio in the current climate mate, halfords would be the only place liable to stock

#98 Hassen

Hassen

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I found it - its a neat little passive sub, 8" driver and compact dimensions, weighs under 8kgs

the amp you have buts out 70w rms per channel (4 channels) into 4 ohms, it claims to be safe into 2 ohms so 2channels bridged (potentially 280w into 4 ohms) should be ok with the little 250w/ 8" speaker,as long as you don't "thrash" it, ideally you may be better with a larger sub speaker that handles a bit more power, (i like the little sub too - i think people often put too big bubs in thier boots, that they dont need and just take up a lot of space)

only 2 of the 4 amplifier channels would be used (as now)

Thanks for all the info Foca. Glad to know I can still use the amp with that sub. Any other suggestions for a small compact sub? I think these would suit me best as I realised that for my uses, I don't need a massive 12" sub in the trunk. I want decent sound quality in a compact size at normal volume levels. Don't want to rattle the whole neighbourhood with my music ;)
Any one else interested in these small subs that are around these days?

#99 Hassen

Hassen

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

Halfords would be the only place if at all,
Not much motorfactors with a big turnover on car audio in the current climate mate, halfords would be the only place liable to stock

Checked on Halfords and they don't bring them sadly Lenny. So far, the only two options available are to get it shipped from either the Uk(no taxes then) or from the USA(will have to pay the tax even though it does work out to be a tad bit cheaper but will take longer to get here).
Any other ideas how I could get it over without paying over the odds for it?

#100 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 8,691 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Checked on Halfords and they don't bring them sadly Lenny. So far, the only two options available are to get it shipped from either the Uk(no taxes then) or from the USA(will have to pay the tax even though it does work out to be a tad bit cheaper but will take longer to get here).
Any other ideas how I could get it over without paying over the odds for it?

Get the value marked down to 30dollars or marked as a gift to you, then you will pay little or no import tax.
Or
If you have a friend in the uk the postage within the uk may be free or cheap,
Your friend may ship to ireland for cheaper than the company supplying the sub.

For example;
Mountune want 80pounds postage to send me a set of !Removed! car mats hows that for peak performance and pushing the limits?

#101 Hassen

Hassen

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Get the value marked down to 30dollars or marked as a gift to you, then you will pay little or no import tax.
Or
If you have a friend in the uk the postage within the uk may be free or cheap,
Your friend may ship to ireland for cheaper than the company supplying the sub.

For example;
Mountune want 80pounds postage to send me a set of !Removed! car mats hows that for peak performance and pushing the limits?

That is ridiculous what retailers want us to pay for shipping to Ireland. A headunit was going to cost me £65 for shipping! I think that is just taking the !Removed!.
Might just get it shipped to Uk or Northern Ireland and then get it over that way. Always getting screwed on shipping here. Grrr!

I think I might just get it from the Uk instead of the USA as I had numerous issues in the past with import taxes on electronics. It's always a hassle which I don't need.
I am really tempted with this sub woofer but thinking that a headunit upgrade might be the first step and then get the sub further down the line. All this after the new year and thinking I might as well start thinking on how to upgrade the sound system in the wife's Seat Leon as she has decided to keep it for another while now.
Any recommendations for a decent sounding, double din, non touchscreen or touchscreen headunit with an aux port as being the main feature? Bluetooth would be a great bonus :)

#102 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

right, after much mucking about and not doing things properly i have finally managed to complete thesub conversion.

i did have an amplified Vibe 10" sub which i removed to fit the new face i put on the sub box i purchased (housed a shallow 13" sub). i used some spacer rings to give me enough depth and also added some padding into the box too.

i managed to add the amp on the same box and then carpeted the box, this took me a couple of attempts as i had a few curves to deal with and the adhesive is a pita as it goes everywhere and my fingers were covered in it.

Tried it out today and i am loving it. i secured it using 2 brackets that fix to the parcel shelf holder.

sub2.jpg

sub2 130113.jpg

sub 130113.jpg

#103 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,012 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Looking very mean, i bet the sound is nice and rich now.

#104 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

it certainly is Clive, looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow, dont care if it snows now!

#105 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 8,691 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

right, after much mucking about and not doing things properly i have finally managed to complete thesub conversion.

i did have an amplified Vibe 10" sub which i removed to fit the new face i put on the sub box i purchased (housed a shallow 13" sub). i used some spacer rings to give me enough depth and also added some padding into the box too.

Looks excellent mate, im sure their is a nice deep base from it. Fair play to you and the crafting skills mate, added bonus the amp installed in the box too.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users