Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 Headlight Aligning

.Ryan

Hiya folks,

Kind of figured out that the problem with my dipped beams are the actual headlight unit alignment and not the bulbs. I have secured the headlight in the correct position using the single screw as per normal, but they are still aiming far too low. How do I ajust this?

You should have adjusters for each light, usually a screw inside a plastic hexagonal hole that you can adjust with an Allen key

Tried this but it doesn't seem to do anything, am I missing something? :(

Haynes is a bit vague when it comes to light alignment.

They just tell you where the adjustment screws are and then promptly tell you to go to a garage to get them done.

There are two alignment screws on each headlight, the one on the top appears to do nothing but it actually adjusts the headlight left and right. The second one is harder to get to but it is this second one that adjusts up and down. One turn will move the lights only a very small amount. When I was working in land rover they used electric screwdriver like things with the Allen key end, linked up to a light sensor to position them correctly. Maybe you could make an Allen key to fit an electric drill to speed up the process but it would be best to leave it to a garage to do

• 3 weeks later...

Took the car to a reputable local independant garage this evening who tried to ajust the headlights but could not do it.

The man said that the motor is not working, when he was turning, nothing was happening at all.

He reckons I may need a new set of headlamps as they are a sealed unit?

HELP :(

Had something similar happen in my dads Yaris when I just passed. It's only a ball joint that holds the levelling adjusters to the light reflectors and can 'pop' out of place when removing bulbs, big speed bumps etc... If you take the bulb out, and get a finger in the hole (yes I know what I just said :P) and pull the reflector towards the adjuster it should 'pop' back on

That may not be the case but will save some money if it is :)

Had something similar happen in my dads Yaris when I just passed. It's only a ball joint that holds the levelling adjusters to the light reflectors and can 'pop' out of place when removing bulbs, big speed bumps etc... If you take the bulb out, and get a finger in the hole (yes I know what I just said :P) and pull the reflector towards the adjuster it should 'pop' back on

That may not be the case but will save some money if it is :)

I will give this a go, fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

Still not got round to this, but the car is having a well overdue clean tomorrow so will give it a shot, fingers crossed.

hope you get this sorted mate, fingers crossed for you

hope you get this sorted mate, fingers crossed for you

Same here pal. I have the MOT at the end of the month, will probably fail on wheel damage, so the last thing I need is to buy new headlamps too :(

All of this before I can even Tax it and put on my private reg :( meh!

Cheers mate will have a read. Hoping they can be sorted.

• 1 year later...

A blast from the past this one, sorry.

Did this get sorted out? I've changed the bulbs in mine and the beams seem to be aimed low (driver side lower than passenger). It's a little hairy driving down unlit roads at the moment.

And what is the legal speak on how far dipped beams should be able to reach to?

Where are the adjustment screws I see mention of?

Cheers all.