Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Key Fob

AdamMc87

Hi everyone

I've just brought a 55 plate 1.6 tdci focus upgrading from my old 1.6 x reg focus. With my new car I only got a basic key when I brought it and have seen you can buy key fobs on eBay for under £10 and have read a few guides on how to program the new fobs but it says you need two keys, would I just need to go and get another key cut of the original key I have? Or will have to go to a ford dealer and pay through the nose to get it done?

You cannot buy a key fob for under 10 bucks. These are only key fob cases - without any internal electronics. You need a key that contains all the internal electronics ( transponder) and a new uncut blade. You need this - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cc6fae902

After you have your blade cut, you can program it with the mentioned guides only to lock and unlock your doors and windows. Unfortunately, you won't be able to program the key with your imobiliser without original Ford equipment.

Thanks for the reply

So I will have to go to a dealer then if I wanted the new fob key to start the car? That's about £100 right?

Not necessarily most auto locksmiths can do it for a fraction of the cost of Ford

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-3-BUTTON-FLIP-KEY-FOCUS-C-MAX-S-MAX-MONDEO-NEW-/160906442999?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2576c578f7

start here these are genuine keys by the way with new blades and transponders get any timpsons to cut the key then an auto locksmith to code it around 100 quid in total or go to ford who will charge around 270

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2576c578f7

start here these are genuine keys by the way with new blades and transponders get any timpsons to cut the key then an auto locksmith to code it around 100 quid in total or go to ford who will charge around 270

They're not genuine. They are however very good copies. There is one flaw with them, though. When you want to use it as a key, and turn the ignition, the thing nearly fell apart as the clips inside were not very strong. I had to glue the section that doesn't contain the battery.

Even the Auto Locksmith who cut the key and programmed it said it was not genuine as he can tell from the PCB inside.

All in all the Key cost £30 and the cutting and programming cost £50. So £80 in all. A big saving if you went to a Ford dealer. Be prepared to glue it though!

I've been using one of those keys since i got the car, so over a year, and had no problems with it at all.

I open the bonnet lock with it on a regular basis and if it can do that then an ignition barrel is no problem.

ive had one over a year as well with no issues as my main key its opened the bonnet and been used hundreds of times with no issues ..it is a genuine ford key in the sense that its where ford get there keys from i know because the dealer locksmith for ford up here is a neighbour he orders these fobs cuts and codes them for the dealers mate... all fords in fife use these fobs from the dealers as for gluing it i know of at least 40 people with the fob i linked to and not one has ever broken im sure a few people on here have them too from the same seller with not one issue

Funny, mine must be a one off then. They are not genuine Ford keys though. I did a comparison with a work collagues inside of the PCB.

It even says on the listing that it's an aftermarket key.

At the end of the day they work as required and cost far less than from Ford, all good in my books.

At the end of the day they work as required and cost far less than from Ford, all good in my books.

Without a shadow of a doubt.

what is a genuine key? all the dealers here when you ask for a key tell you that it has to be ordered and sent away to get it cut then it will be programmed what actually happens is the company who do all the dealers in my area including non ford order those fobs and with the pattern supplied by ford they cut it then come out to the dealers take 5 mins to programme it and thats you 287 quid lighter ford state 100 for the fob yet the cutter orders the ones i get at 30 and charges 50 so straight up the dealer makes 50 quid profit the cutting costs 10 quid the programming takes 5 mins and the guy charges 20 quid if you go to his door the dealer charges 1 hour of diagnostics at 80-90 quid so 60-70 profit on top of the 50 they already made £120 profit to the dealer for doing nothing.

the reason the pcb is different if you call the company is under the licence to ford they cant supply them with the same pcb so they are classed as aftermarket in reality they are the same item just like the spark plugs are Bosch but branded fomoco

The guy i use and recommend to people for keys is also contracted to the local Ford Dealers.

He'd charge about £80 direct and by the time Ford puts their obligatory diagnostic and faffing about on the bill you'll see the cost treble.

Cut out the middle man.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend someone in the South East who can program a transponder? I'll provide the key, just need the transponder programming, or cloning from my two other keys.

I emailed 4 locksmiths in my area who say they do transponder programming and not one of them replied. Maybe they aren't happy they can't fleece me for £250 for the whole new key? I'm not willing to pay that much for a third spare key.

Can anyone recommend someone in the South East who can program a transponder? I'll provide the key, just need the transponder programming, or cloning from my two other keys.

I emailed 4 locksmiths in my area who say they do transponder programming and not one of them replied. Maybe they aren't happy they can't fleece me for £250 for the whole new key? I'm not willing to pay that much for a third spare key.

CheesyPeteza; did u manage to find someone to program the transponder in the south east?

I'm looking to have mine programmed but no one has gotten back to me, the ones that have are nearly as bad as Ford themselves!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club