Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 1.8 Petrol Lx Stuttering On Acceleration

mik

Hi all,

I have a problem that when I accelerate, the car seems to have a flat spot/stuttering. I dont know if its related but in the past and as recent as yesterday when the fuel has run low the car hasn't started and acts like it is flooded. The next day we come back to it and its starts like normal and everything is fine.

I have replaced air filter, spark plugs and yesterday fuel filter (very dirty black fuel out of 'in' tube) but has made no difference.

Two questions: Any advise on above? and, I am going to replace HT leads and coil pack next and have seen this one on eBay -

FORD MONDEO III-Mk-3 2.0 16V IGNITION COIL PACK 2000 > 2007 1119835 *BRAND NEW*

can anyone recomend this or advise to stay clear?

Thanks in advance.

funny u say that mine dose it when u slow dwn and you go to throttle away and it misses then its ok again.i have found when i re-fuel i start the car with cap off then screw it back on then turn car off seems to stop that starting prob.as for that coil pack alot have found that the oem ones arent much cop.mind you mines on 206,000 miles on 51reg lol still pulls like a train though when going regards pete

Hey pete I have the same problem also but this is normal as ford use the old cable root but adjust the acc cable if it is loose

i dont get engine light come on i have a basic fault reader

no play in cable kory either but thanks for that info mate

You are on the right way. That is coil pack and HT leads. I had the excact same problem with my 1.8LX and it turned out to be the coil pack.

So JJ Smith. . . . can you remember where you got your coil pack from, how much you spent and has it been trouble free?

I first borrowed one from my father in-laws car and found that the car was running fine so I got one from Ford. I paid R660 (less than 50 pounds). And yes its been just over a year now and the problem has not surfaced again.

Innetialy I also explained the problem to people that it feels like a flat spot on an old carburetor engine.

A friend of mine had the same experience with an 2002 Icon 1.6 and we got a used coil pack and his car has also been problem free since.

Just to mention my father in-laws 2.0 Mondeo did the same, but in his case it was just HT leads. (Thats why I first borrowed parts from him since the HT leads and the coil pack costs about the same at Ford, over here at least.

My car just started doing similar today after 4 weeks of using it. Was told it was dirty injectors by garage just buy some cleaner to clean them. So going to Halfords tomorrow to get one and getting something different delivered on Monday from amazon .

Think Wynn's got best review on site and ordered d tox from amazon.

• 2 years later...

Nice one guys, Been searching for a site like this with answers as i have a mondeo lx 1.8 petrol on a 52 plate and recently i ran the tank dry and so i changed fuel filter and have replaced with new plugs but am still getting loss of power and spluttering on pull of and change of gears, should i now replace coil pack and leads as when i removed the two old middle spark plugs, they were wet with oil and black but the one on either side were normal, i have been told it could be piston or compression or oil rings as to why i am losing power but prior to running out of fuel everything was fine and hence no engine management light, as now it wont go off, can any members give me a solution please

• 1 year later...

Always start with the basics.

Has the Fuel Filter been changed recently? Had the same problem with my 2.0L Ghia.

Listened to all professional advise and changed, Coil, HT leads, Plugs, cleaned TMAP and EGR, Tested CAT, and O2 sensor, and it was getting worse with each check.

I was at my wits end and almost giving up, when I went a bought a fuel filter and a bottle of Injector cleaner. Put the cleaner in a tank of fuel, and changed the filter, and have done a 60 mile trip on a busy M25, in rush hour, without a glimpse of a stutter.  

Don't know what is going to happen later today when I get back on M25, and don't know what exactly was the problem. Cannot say for sure it was the Fuel Filter and/or the Injector cleaner, or a combination of all the changes made,  but IT WORKED for me.