Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus Stalling Above 3000 Rpm - No Management Lights

Jpetitt

Hi all,

I bought a 2007 focus 1.6 TCDI 2 weeks ago. The car drives well apart from one issue. As soon as the revs hit the 3000 rpm mark the engine cuts out. Obviously this is a real problem when pulling out into faster moving traffic. There are no engine management lights showing, so I'm a bit stumped. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon

Gurccay thanks for your reply. I have only just had the car serviced last week at the local ford dealer. Wouldn't they have spotted any problem then when tey did the diagnostic test?

I have booked the car back in for Thursday so fingers crossed they can locate the problem

I had similar problem with my old focus and the reason was EGR. So, you must go to somewhere where they have original Ford diagnostic tool!

The car is booked in with the Ford main dealer so they should have the correct diagnostics kit. I will let you know the results tomorrow.

The dealer has finally got round to looking at the car and diagnosed the problem as a blocked DPF. They are going to try and manually flush out the blockage and make some changes to the PCU to help prevent it reblocking.

Take a look what a friend of mine has written several days ago:

Hi, Fords don't have Eolys, they spray diesel fuel in the 4th stroke. Because of this part of the diesel fuel goes into the oil and raises its level.

Does your oil level raise? If there is a problem within the particulates filter - it definelty will. The first thing to do is to go to someone who has IDS (the original diagnostics software) and ask him to check the differential pressure sensors. If they're ok, ask him to run the manual DPF cleaning procedure. This may help a bit. There is one more solution to try before DPF replacement - remove it from the car and wash its internals VERY well with pressure washer (a real one with very high pressure and steam, not just hot water) and degreaser.

And the last solution is to remove it completely and remap the ECU not to seek for differential pressure :)

Cheers from Ford Club Bulgaria :)

Update. The ford dealer now says they dont think the problem is caused by a blocked DPF. They are now thinking its a fuel pressure problem, but haven't narrowed it down. They are suggesting replacing the fuel filter to see if this works. If not they are suggesting the next places to look would be fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator.

I'm just concerned as it doesn't appear they have a clue what the problem is. And it's going to get pretty expensive if they just keep replacing parts until the problems fixed.

It could well be the fuel pressure regulator but unfortunately they don't just replace that.

Apparently it's a full fuel rail job.

• 1 month later...

Update. The problem is now fixed. It turned out simply to be a blocked fuel filter, which was replaced for around £60 plus labour.

Update. The problem is now fixed. It turned out simply to be a blocked fuel filter, which was replaced for around £60 plus labour.

Glad you got it sorted out mate,

But woah thats alot for a filter, they cost 25pounds in motor factors, fit it in 30min