Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hole In Engine Block Spraying Coolant On Mk5

lpgaff

Help required...

Car details: Fiesta MK5 (2001) Endura-E 1.3 engine.

Steam started coming up from under the bonnet yesterday and we discovered a small jet of coolant spraying from inside the engine. At first we thought it was the pipe heading in to the oil filler cap, but on further inspection there is a hole in the engine block which is spraying out water when the engine is hot.

I've attached a photo of the offending hole. I'm sorry that there isn't much context to it as it's a bit of a close up. If you can't tell where it is I can try to describe it... As you look into the engine bay from the front of the car, it is on the right-hand side, vertical part of the engine block.

What I ask is, how easily can this be repaired? Anybody with any experience of this?

Cheers,

Liam

post-38255-0-76147600-1352246266_thumb.j

Looks like a leaking core plug to me. After the engine block is cast certain holes need plugging so as to allow the waterways to be sealed. One of your plugs is leaking.

Not sure how easy it is to replace on your particular engine - some of the more experienced mechanics should be able to further advise.

Should be an easy fix.

Get some new core plugs ordered and "plug that hole"

They say its easy. The problem is likely to be getting the old one out. I would let someone else do it as the only time I have done one was at the side of the road in a Ford Corsair back at the end of the 70's. The plug popped out and fortunately landed on the pipes and stayed there. I pushed it back in with some ring spanners and never had a problem with it after that. It didnt even leak.

My son had two leaky core plugs replaced in his Mk6 1.25 cylinder head recently and the cost was about £30 including VAT and antifreeze so it cannot be too difficult. The core plugs themselves cost pence. There are YouTube videos showing how they are replaced if you do a search for "Core plug replacement".

The core plugs in the later engines are in the top of the head and screw in. Unfortunately these older core plug types dont.

Thanks everybody. Took it along with the knowledge that it was the core plug. I was charged £40 to replace it, refill with anti-freeze and get rid of the airlocks. The last but took a while but it wasn't as disastrous as I first thought when I saw steam pouring up through the bonnet!

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Super!

Also, he said we were lucky because it's one of 6 (IIRC), and the easiest one to get to. The others require much more dismantling and a few more man hours.

Got the old core plug out too, amazing how much it had corroded on one side. Make sure you refresh your antifreeze/coolant regularly!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club