Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Mondeo Stalling

whagwan76

Hi all,

Have recently purchased a ford mondeo 2ltr diesel and so far it's been a dream. Serviced at 82,000 miles and have just surpassed the 100,000 mark (which i believe means it's time for it's major service?)

Anyway, over the last week, i have noticed tha turning left, the steering wheel seems a bit more harder and more importantly, it sometimes stalls when slowing down. Th oil and engine light appear but the car literally cuts out. I can turn the car back on and continue driving but as you can imagine, its a bit of a safety risk.

Would anybody have an idea what this could be? Any help would be much apprciated

Thanks

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway, over the last week, i have noticed tha turning left, the steering wheel seems a bit more harder and more importantly, it sometimes stalls when slowing down. Th oil and engine light appear but the car literally cuts out. I can turn the car back on and continue driving but as you can imagine, its a bit of a safety risk.

There is a lot of power assistance on recent Fords, and the steering is very heavy without it. It is possible that you have some kind of 'partial power assistance' issue. First, check the PAS fluid level, and if it is low, check the (stupid) oil cooler, if fitted, for a possible leak.

Failing that, check the drive belt; if in poor condition or oily, it may be slipping and that may cause some loss of assistance. (Slipping drive belts are normally accompanied by an expensive-sounding screeching noise...and its not necessarily that expensive.)

it sometimes stalls when slowing down. Th oil and engine light appear but the car literally cuts out.

It seems to be too much of a coincidence that these two faults have started more-or-less simultaneously. It might just be that the load of the PAS coming in and out suddenly when the engine speed is already low/decreasing might be causing the stall, so, if you can and it is easy to sort the PAS problem first, it sounds advantageous, even if this is the lesser problem.

Otherwise, it could be all sorts of things (egr, injectors, clogged dpf, temperature sensor..to name but a few). Is the idle 'normal' at other times?