Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Focus Boot Problems (Help Plz)

Scotsman79

My Boot has started to play up and everytime I start my car the boot unlocks . Has anyone had this problem before ?

If so have u got a solution ???

Any help would be much appreciated

My Boot has started to play up and everytime I start my car the boot unlocks . Has anyone had this problem before ?

If so have u got a solution ???

Any help would be much appreciated

Ah, the Focus boot wires rear their ugly head again!

Common problem Buddy, the insulation on the wiring in the rubber tube between the roof and the hatch gets hard, with repeated opening and closing of the hatch they snap the wires.

I'd pull the boot lock fuse until you get the wire patched or you'll blow the lock solenoid and then need to do a replacement (not a hard job but why do it if you don't have to?), if you have an owners manual it will tell you which fuse it is.

You could patch the wiring yourself but the seals on the rubber tube are sods to get back on their mounting points.

If you do want to do the job yourself, the broken wiring will usually be very obvious.

Tnx for your reply stoney871 .

So the wire has snapped and u say this is located in the roof ?? How much would this cost ? And do I take it to ford or any car electrician ? . Tnx again for your reply it has saved me a day of anger lol . Oh I just pulled the plug out of the boot catch and this has stopped the problem so far but I will need to climb into the bak to connect this again lol

Had something similar on a previous car.

Basically there is a rubber boot thingy :) near the hinge of the boot, opening and closing the boot eventually wore it to breaking. So you can either use a similar bit of wire and patch in situ using a soldering iron/heat shrink or replace the entire run of wire which is best but more time consuming. Patch it for now is my advice, then in the warmer months tackle it.

That Said that was on a previous car not a 100% on the focus one but would think its similar.

Any decent garage or auto electrician will do the job, it doesn't take long.

If you do the jib yourself just patch with a couple of inches of cable and a couple of crimp connectors.

You usually find that where the wire goes the ends will turn black, just cut back to clean wire and patch from there.

Tnx for the reply folks . I'm working most eh the week then I need to fit my kitchen so il be busy for a while but as soon as I tackle it il post bak to let u know

Hi guys I went out to Have a quick check with the wires to see if I could see what wires were damaged and i plugged te connector bak in ( as I had disconnected it from the boot and didn't take the fuse out ) anyway everything was fine . Dunno why but all is good so far . Dunno if it's Jst moisture or something got in the switch or that . My central locking sometimes doesn't lock all doors or unlock all doors I hope that the boot isn't temperamental like the doors . ( with the doors I have wd40'd them and tried taking the panels off to see what's what but it Jst confuses me so I've learned to live with it now lol . Il post bak if this happens again or if u can suggest anything for the doors n boot problems . :)

Tnx again guys

Went out in the car yest and it has started playing up again . Will Jst go to a auto electrician and get this seen to ... :(