Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Courtesy Light, Boot Light And Glove Box Light Upgrade

koosh34

Lmao how long you owned the car mate and never noticed? Nice one for confirming it's a 42mm I need, thought it looked bigger than the 38mm I've got in the front

Some of you guys really need to get acquainted with their back seats (with the help of their other half's if available, or someone else's if not ;))

I was actually on about my second courtesy light in the back of the car for rear passengers. But I think it's the same size.

The rear courtesy light (with the single bulb) is indeed a larger festoon (about 42mm) than the ones in the front with the maplights (about 38mm). There is a slight margin of error on these as you can bend in/out the pins a bit. The smaller of the two for the reg plate lights too as shown above.

Stan, did you remove the actual light unit when fitting the bulb or just the actual plastic lens? Much less fiddly if you pull the whole unit down, and no risk of losing a bulb in the roof lining! Also, recommended to pull the fuse, or at least make sure the lights are all switched off when you intially insert the bulbs. ;)

EDIT: Just replying to My Content this morning and got a bit confused...think this would be better fitted in response to Goldenleaf's thread, but we all get the jist anyway!

gforce - very timely - I only removed the plastic lens - do you just pull off the whole unit?

And yes - I blew the fuse

For some reason that particular fuse is very sensitive to bulbs being removed.

I've blown a couple in my time.

Stan, as far as I remember, you should be able to just pop the whole unit out of it's surround yes. It will dangle from the roof with the wiring plugs still attached then...you could unplug it to make things easier again.

just be careful and you should be fine. My experience with Ford fittings is they often need a tad more than gentle persuasion, but there's a fine line between getting it out and breaking something, so if you ever feel too much force, don't proceed unless you're confident with it!

hi guys,

could I just check I've got the right bulbs for the coutesy (middle) light and the two map lights before I go and order them?

courtesy light (festoon) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261121985255?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

map lights - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121011984171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

cheers

hi guys,

could I just check I've got the right bulbs for the coutesy (middle) light and the two map lights before I go and order them?

courtesy light (festoon) - http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

map lights - http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

cheers

If your courtesy light unit looks like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-INTERIOR-MAP-LIGHT-INTRUDER-SENSOR-01-07-/290811555561?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b5b82ee9&clk_rvr_id=411996916719&afsrc=1

Then yes those bulbs should be right as they are the same fitments as in mine

The bulbs you linked should be all good then as I have the same unit and those are the fitments I have.

Bulb fitments vary between the different courtesy light units though.

Just to confirm, the 42mm LED was right for the rear courtesy.

I found that putting it on a decent sized blob of whitetack as a holder, stopped it slipping in my fingers and made it quite manageable

Still need to get a decent 42mm blue led for my rear courtesy light. Wanna get one similar to the 38mm i got in the front with 9 big leds

• 1 month later...

thread dig on the front light situation

i noticed all the ones gforce posted all had the bigger grey border (like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-INTERIOR-LIGHT-INTRUSION-ALARM-SENSOR-/261147854933?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ccda00855 )

but surely one without the border will allow more light out ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-Mk3-Interior-Light-2000-2007-/130824617350?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e75c13d86 )

so do you think the none border one will not allow LEDs?

and ofc both fit the 06 focus sport?

thanks guys

I don't believe either will fit.

They're too deep for the headliner and the mounting method is different.

You need to look for one for the focus or c-max.

thinking about replacing the single bulb courtesy light for 1 with map lights myself - are the extra plugs likely to be in the headlining or am I going to have to splice into the loom?

Its all plug and play.

No modification of the wiring needed at all.

Clive, I'm pretty sure both of those linked by Aldoo will fit. Can anyone else confirm/deny? The only time I ever had any issues with clearance between lining and roof was when I trial fitted a sensor/maplight version to the rear (on both Focus and Mondeo).

Aldoo, I know what you're saying about the expected greater light output from the non-border ones, but I think any difference is negligible really, as there's only a few mm difference in bulb size, so with a nice bright LED in there you'll have more than enough light.

The only reason I vouch for the ones with the border is personal preference really...I think they're just that bit nicer and more modern looking, and the maplights are standard 501 as well rather than BA9, so no issues with reverse polarity etc. Again, this is probably an issue easily overcome, but as I said it's just my personal preference really.

Heidifrst, you'll not need any extra wiring or plugs for the maplights to be functional, they'll work fine off the standard wiring. It's just the intrusion sensors that require an extra plug and wiring, but if you don't have them already you'll not really miss them!

I thought the focus/mondeo/cmax all look the same so i looked further. D

On eBay some people are selling just the mondeo light surround, and if you find a good picture it looks the same fitting as the focus

As for depth i think you maybe right about the roof gap, but i found a light cheap enough so i thought i might as well give it a go. The issue could possibly be fixed removing the alarm part.

Should be here soon, ill report back ;)

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Hi, My 59 plate 1.6 Zetec didn't have any of the wiring in for the rear interior light, footwell lights or vanity lights. I got the lights along with the wiring from scrappy and spliced it all in. Works well.

As for the overhead glasses holder, the Mondeo Mk3 one does fit, same colour too. I had to cut the legs off the Focus light surround and bond them onto the Mondeo one so that the whole thing could be screwed back in (the Mondeo one just clips in and I thought it was a bit insecure) the screw holes needed to be elongated to get them to alighn with the fastening in the roof. it is big enough for my glasses case. Just take care marking out and cutting. Remember measure twice, cut once.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Following someone's recommendation I bought some LED panels for a boot light replacement.

Well I have received and installed today. BLIMEY OH REILLY they are bright. Look at this:

20141111_180504.jpg

(apologies of this picture has since been deleted in the future)

I bought these: ebay...listing

Its a shame I have to close the boot whilst driving around. :-)

• Like 2