20 replies to this topic

#16 good old reliable

good old reliable

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 ghia
  • Year: 1999

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

hi mate ain't got any money yet to play around with and its too dam cold to mess. i have noticed when you lift the clutch up a bit quick and the car jerks i can hear a thud noise. so i was thinking of looking at the rear gearbox mounting to see if there is any movement in that. apart from that i am still at a loss without spending shed loads with no results...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 good old reliable

good old reliable

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

ok up date
checked rear engine mount to chassis no movement back forwards only can move end on engine side to side a bit.
checked engine mount on drivers side no movement
checked gearbox mount on passenger side can't move the engine but when put screw driver down between body and centre mount there is quite a bit of movement. the mount seems to have cracks and splits on either side. the mount only seems to be joined left and right side with kind of bump stop at the rear i suppose to stop engine moving backwards too much is this right?

could this cause kind of like thumping when moving very slowly in traffic and you lift the clutch up a bit quick and when the clutch bites hits i hear a thump....

#18 bt_cav

bt_cav

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 330 posts
  • Name: Brian
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2004

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

If it is split and cracked then in my option it cant be supporting the engine as well as it should. I would think thats where the noise is comming from.

I would also be questioning why has it failed in the first place?

Previous driver abuse??

Keep us posted

#19 IINexusII

IINexusII

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 332 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate
  • Year: 2006

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

I would get that mount changed asap. i had mine drop on the mk2 which is very similar to your mount. it caused the driveshafts to bend also and lucky that i stopped the car immediately before causing even more damage.

#20 good old reliable

good old reliable

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

ok changed mount
small splits both sides but nothing major thumping still there also vibration
i have had the car for 11 years now so no boy racer there! lol.

i did how ever when checking things found fair play in n/s driveshaft when twisted backwards and forwards can hear gears in box knocking.
i also have thumping when going over uneven road sounds like coming from front suspension somewhere??

#21 good old reliable

good old reliable

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

ok update on the vibration thing.
found two of my alloys we slightly buckled,!! had new tyres put on all of them and no one said anything.
this is how i found out, but not saying you do this.
jack drivers side wheel up, hand brake on other wheels chocked, traction control off.
put in 4th run speed up to 35mph got slight vibration in the car. took it up to 50-60mph the car vibrated like hell.
swapped other wheels for the same hub and found 2 wheels no vibration but another slight vibration.
took wheels to garage and they checked wheels again and found my wheels were slightly oval.
changed for another 2 wheels had them all balanced again and the vibration a lot better but still slightly there.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users