Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alloy Wheel Nut / Cover Loose

Peterjones

Hi,

My Fiesta has come back from the garage and the wheel nut covers now seem loose. One you could pull off. Made me think these must be pieces of metal covers over the actual nut.

Do these just push on in a certain way? I thought it was all one nut, however now seem like it is a cover over the nut which is underneath it.

This is mk7 Fiesta with standard alloys fitted. Any help would be grateful. I can't see why the garage has removed these caps / covers in the first place.

They are very poor quality covers on the nut. They will split apart and fall off.

Oh so they are a cover? I've never noticed before as when I have taken the wheel off before I've never taken the nut cover off.

Is there no way of "pushing" them back on to keep them tight?

Can you buy new covers or do you need new nuts?

Have a dig around on eBay, there are quite a few sellers with nut covers available.

They're just simple push fit cosmetic touches.

Just make sure you order the right sizes.

I super glued the one loose one we had on the SportKA and its been holding OK for the last two years.

So if they are push on, then does that mean they have not been pushed on properly before? They wont pull off completely by hand when I pulled this morning, however they are sliding up and down.

I never knew they were covers, thought they were all part of the nut.

I think there are two types of Ford alloy wheel nut as we found on my son's Mk6 Fiesta when we changed the alloy wheels. Open nuts and closed nuts. The open nuts do not have covers whereas the closed ones do and will require a slightly smaller wheelbrace size to remove if the covers go missing. I thought it was strange that the standard wheelbrace didn't fit one or two of the wheelnuts until we spotted that there were the two different types of wheelnut fitted to his car.

• 2 months later...

Ford standard nuts are extremly low quality,

Ive had my wheel brace socket put out of shape due to loose nut caps rotating on the nut when turning.

I had to remove the caps by tapping the centre and pulling them off, took alot of wasted time,

I plan to purchase some replacment ones but not from ford they are a disaster.

Image2006.jpg

Image1526.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi these chrome alloy wheel nuts are a manufactured disaster.Ford really need to address this problem as i come across this every week and customers have been left stranded unable to remove the wheel nuts.Once the cover comes off the nut size changes to 18MM from the normal 19MM therefore the wheel wrench does not do the job it has been supplied to do.Your choice is to carry a second 18MM sockett and power bar or replace the nuts costing £3.46 each from a Ford dealer.This is not what you would expect from a car manufacturer as big as Ford.

• 1 year later...

Wow, what a stupendously stupid design/idea this was, I'm rapidly falling out of love with my Fiesta and today was the more or less final nail in the coffin!! I went to remove the n/s front wheel and assumed the nut covers had to be removed but I only managed to get two off (with pliers!) and I was thinking what the hell is going on!! The third one refused to budge so it was at this point I wondered if perhaps they didn't come off and one simply used the correct size wheel brace and ignored the fact that there was a flimsy cover on the nut. This proved incorrect as the cover simply turned around the nut so I was getting nowhere so decided to chisel the ruddy cover off!! Also the locking wheel nut appeared to be a completely different size so I had to use three different sockets to eventually remove the wheel. Again, when compared to my wife's Honda Civic which has simple chromed nuts this Ford is rapidly driving me crazy, how could anyone think this was a good idea, come on get real Mr F! They should be forced to do a recall and provide us with fit for purpose nuts!!

Also, as someone has pointed out, what happens if you get a puncture and one of these covers plays up and you can't then get the wheel off

..anyone know where I can get hold of some simple chromed nuts to replace the completely useless things currently on the car? :-)

WOW! Shocking pictures Lenny :w00t: The covers on my wheels nuts have always moved/rocked and thought it was just 'normal' for this type but after seeing this... I think not! Thinking out aloud but would using an air gun to take nuts off ruin the covers ? Always take off my nuts by hand :whistling:

When I got the Focus (nearly 2 years ago) it had a couple of loose nut covers.  My mate works at Ford and has loads of spares so sent me a few FOC.  Since then the nuts have only ever been touchd by me with hand tools and a few more have become loose which I replaced...and now some more have too which I havent been able to eplace yet...the rattle is really annoying lol! :laugh:  I would assume impact guns don't help but it's certainly not the only factor.

Just out of interest but would these 'rattling covers' make an annoying rattle over bumps or un-even road surface ?

I'm having this problem too.

Lost one of the covers on the drivers front wheel and the passenger ones are rattling cause they are a loose fit...

Was talking to a Ford mechanic and he advises NEVER to use an air gun to take off & put on these type of nuts, his garage never uses the air gun on such nuts.

• Like 2

I love my car before anyone thinks I'm slating it/Ford..

Its a bit poor though ain't it that a major manufacturer and such a popular car is fitted with these?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stuart jj said:

I love my car before anyone thinks I'm slating it/Ford..

Its a bit poor though ain't it that a major manufacturer and such a popular car is fitted with these?

Have a look at the carpet under the foot-wells and see how short the carpet ends ? This is another shabby cost cutting idea from Ford...very poor :angry:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any idea or links where to get these covers from mine are shot to bits where I've been taking wheels on and off 

To be honest the Ford nuts with covers are pretty rubbish. I would buy a set of nuts that don't have covers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-16-M12-x-1-5-19mm-Hex-OE-Style-alloy-wheel-nuts-lugs-bolts-for-Ford-Focus-/261811680147?hash=item3cf5313393:g:z6QAAOSwstxVBDoW

Cheers for that pal good idea than buying them crappy covers. 

Will these fit a focus 2010 zetec s wheel I'm not sure 

7 minutes ago, maclee said:

Will these fit a focus 2010 zetec s wheel I'm not sure 

Yes, go to the eBay listing, click on the list of compatible vehicles, then pages 18-19 list all the 2010 models.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue, just ordered the 20 for £20 so i've got 4 spare if I decide/need to remove the locking nuts.

Tried to take my passenger front wheel off and a few of the covers just rotated/mangled and damaged the wheel brace that came with the car (plus I don't have an 18mm socket!). Annoyed was not the term!

Fitted all mine yesterday a lot better than the plastic caps or whatever they are. 

Big thanks again chaps