Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaky Gear Stick

denwhit

HI, anyone got any ideas. a sort of dry bearing sort of sound when i move the gear stick either when the clutch is engaged or not. driving me mad and not due a service for 8 months. bit of oil or grease required? if so , how do i remove the gaiter and surround without damage? cheers.

Hi mate, interesting one.

I have the same problem with mine, makes a little squeak sound, most often from 3rd to 4th and vice versa. My car has just had a full service with ford and passed without any ambers so puzzled on how to correct!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys i had the same problem with my zs they greased mine up but soon came back. ive ended up having my gear

cables changed now i have no noise mine was in 1st and 3rd

gear x

I'm having the same problem, when changing from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th.

Looks like we all have 2010 Fiestas too, bit of a coinsidence.

I'll be sure not to get pied off with a re grease at my next service and ask for new gear cables.

Should this be covered under warranty?

yea bud mine was wouldnt wait till next service to be honest go and get it sorted now. yep mine is a 10 plate you had any other probs with yrs x

Got my service end of feb so might as well wait.

Only real problem is the passenger door seal which keeps coming off and a clunk on steering column on full lock. Both fixed at last service. But the seal is hanging off again!

How about you mate? my warranty runs out in march so wanting to get anything done while I can.

ive had quite a few bits done on mine i like a perfect car though im ott lol paid enough want it right lol. had roll bar bushes changed last week and top strut thing changed from creaky steerin bushes was cause of bangin over speed bumps. all the door seals are crap many people moan. had discs and pads changed they were warped !Removed! nightmate hey x

I'm exactly the same. Bugs me if things aren't right. Might get them bits looked at then before warranty runs out. Brakes seem rubbish! so i'll get them checked for sure! Cheers for the info.

i had loads of trouble with my brakes nearly killed myself there was loads of travel in the pedal i had the abs module changed and as i say discs and pads too been brilliant since stop the car great i had all judderin on steerin wheel when brakin did my head in. x

• 2 years later...

I've had this exact problem with my (59) plate fiesta, It seems to be worse in colder weather i was wondering if anyone else had found that the squeak improves or goes away completely when the weather gets warmer.

If not i'd better get it looked at by ford, as i have tried greasing it and found it to only be a temporary fix.

• Like 1

I've had this exact problem with my (59) plate fiesta, It seems to be worse in colder weather i was wondering if anyone else had found that the squeak improves or goes away completely when the weather gets warmer.

If not i'd better get it looked at by ford, as i have tried greasing it and found it to only be a temporary fix.

Hi,

It's a winter thing. Completely disappears in the summer.

I think it is a batch fault and is infuriating.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

My ford had same problem before, especially when the weather is cold. I did full service at local garage and checked gear fluid was fine, they said. But it was still happening a couple of weeks ago. Now problem solved by Cataclean ta daaa. I putted Cataclean fluid on when a fuel tank is 1/4 full, an instruction said to drive 20 minutes long then refill the fuel, as for me I drove 20 minutes then refilled some more 5 liters. Drove with that for till the tank was almost empty. Amazingly a car is very responsive and as well as gear problem solved, moreover it smoother to shift then before. It can buy on eBay or halford around £15 to £17 only, worth to try.

Save my money :)​ . Good luck with that all friends.

As per above comments mine had squeak sound as well.

I went to ford dealer, they asked me for £60 for diagnose, if clash has to change will cost £300, if gear box will around 1000. Luckily I didn't go with them.

As I posted here, try Cataclean. May be it will solved.

• 3 weeks later...

My ford had same problem before, especially when the weather is cold. I did full service at local garage and checked gear fluid was fine, they said. But it was still happening a couple of weeks ago. Now problem solved by Cataclean ta daaa. I putted Cataclean fluid on when a fuel tank is 1/4 full, an instruction said to drive 20 minutes long then refill the fuel, as for me I drove 20 minutes then refilled some more 5 liters. Drove with that for till the tank was almost empty. Amazingly a car is very responsive and as well as gear problem solved, moreover it smoother to shift then before. It can buy on eBay or halford around £15 to £17 only, worth to try.

Save my money :)​ . Good luck with that all friends.

As per above comments mine had squeak sound as well.

Hi Eric,

How long ago did you use Cataclean for your squeaky gear stick and is it still quiet? I've had the same problem and was thinking of trying Cataclean on my squeaky gear stick.

Kind regards,

Levi.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club