39 replies to this topic

#1 bigjonbournemouth

bigjonbournemouth

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: 55 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

hi guys

just had a quote from two different garages to replace the clutch on my focus and both have come back different.

One garage has said that they would just replace the clutch and thats it, this is the cheaper option so am liking this muchly!!!

Second garage has said that the dual mass fly wheel would need changing as weel so i should go for a solid wheel conversion kit, however this is obviously more money to pay out but if is needed obviously has to be done!!

so dilema! whos right?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,252 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

The dual mass flywheel may not be popular but is fitted for a reason.
It's designed to make the engine power come through smoother and reduce engine vibration.
I have heard bad things about solid flywheel conversions, a dig of the internet will give you some facts.
As to just having the clutch plates done rather than a full kit? It depends on whether there is wear on the DMF or not and if you're experiencing starting problems or excess vibration.
I'm sure others here will have some more experience and be able to advise you further.

#3 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,252 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

This site for example talks itself into a sale by saying a standard flywheel can be fitted but then talks itself back out of the sale again by stating other problems the conversion is likely to cause-

http://www.newclutch...les/Page389.htm

#4 talksy

talksy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI 2009
  • Year: 2009

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

As an owner of a 1.8 tdci, I ran across some worrying posts on the internet which seemed to suggest it was common for the DMF to go at around 85k. All of them suggested clutch replacement at the same time, and as one of the posts said above, replacing to the solid fly wheel was mainly regarded as a bad idea due to vibrations etc. Found lots of posts saying the clutch gets a blue wearing mark. Average replacement costs seemed to be between £750 amd £1350 from what I could see.

Luckily, mine is under 30k, and I have had no signs of this problem (although one poster said his tdci went at 30k!). I found some tips on another site about how to minimise the wear and tear on these DMFs, main tips were the usuals:
  • don't ride clutch
  • don't do burn outs or wheel spins
  • don't sit in traffic with clutch pedal down, put it in n, and use handbrake
  • don't leave in gear when parked
  • don't pull away in second
  • don't buy a ford - how insulting -_-
I know this doesn't help the OP, but hopefully it will help you with your replacement parts. :rolleyes:

#5 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

If your not doing the job yourself, its quite costly to take out the gearbox to replace the clutch. Personally I'd bite the bullet and replace the DMF, as it probably will need replacing, as if you don't, then you find it does need changing, its the expense AGAIN, of removing the gearbox. Source the bits yourself through eBay, and just have the garage fit them.

#6 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,252 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

If your not doing the job yourself, its quite costly to take out the gearbox to replace the clutch. Personally I'd bite the bullet and replace the DMF, as it probably will need replacing, as if you don't, then you find it does need changing, its the expense AGAIN, of removing the gearbox. Source the bits yourself through eBay, and just have the garage fit them.

Good solid advice indeed.
Better to take one hit rather than two.
If in doubt do everything in one area for total peace of mind.

#7 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

get the garage to buy the bits needed. my previous car needed a clutch and dmf and i had it replaced by them. 2 weeks later the clutch went and as they bought the kit they replaced it. they said had i bought the parts i would have had to pay for the replacement.

#8 JCB

JCB

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Ford Model: 03 Focus 1.8 TDCi
  • Year: 2003

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

As I just found out through experience, the cheapest options not always best or cheapest. I may be wrong, but sitting a new clutch against an old flywheel doesn't seem the best idea. Might put extra stress on an already temperamental part and then as mike said bill will end up doubling.

If your getting it done at a garage, they wont guarantee any parts not bought by themselves, so if god forbid, it fails again they wont do a thing.

I got a quote for the DMF, clutch and slave cylinder for around £900 at a reputable 'back street' garage, the solid kit was only about £80 less.

#9 bigjonbournemouth

bigjonbournemouth

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: 55 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

so by the sounds of things replace the dual mass fly wheel and clutch and avoid the conversion kits..... i have managed to find a flywheel and clutch kit for £360 from europarts so i think this is the way forward! :P

#10 talksy

talksy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

get the garage to buy the bits needed. my previous car needed a clutch and dmf and i had it replaced by them. 2 weeks later the clutch went and as they bought the kit they replaced it. they said had i bought the parts i would have had to pay for the replacement.

Can't agree with this more. I needed a bearing doing on my old Astra. I sourced it from Ebay for a fraction of the price. My local garage had the car for a whole afternoon, when I got back to collect it, they said it was not working right but they had put it in anyway. My ABS had stopped working which is an MOT fail, I had to pay to have it taken out again and all the work doing again plus the price of a genuine part. I would be careful here as clutches are much harder to install then bearings.

#11 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

Agree in principal with what ppl are saying here about letting the garage get the parts. I fitted my own so if something went wrong it would be down to myself to sort it. BUT the parts I used were OEM equipment, and I can't see how a garage could argue if you are using a genuine part that you have sourced yourself, because that is more than likely what they would have bought for the work anyway.

#12 Pitmonster

Pitmonster

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: 2006 Mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec (Climate)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

My own DMF is starting to go (see here : http://www.fordowner...el-replacement/) and the garage has recommended that I get the clutch done at the same time. The two parts mate with each other, and if one is starting to go then the other will probably follow soon after.

The job is not cheap, but Labour is a massive part of the total cost, and you certainly don't want to pay twice for work in the same area. Yes it hurts (oh boy, do I know it hurts!), but it's better to get the lot done at once.

If you just change the clutch now, you may have to do the flywheel anyway in the near future - and that's TWO lots of labour charges. Better to do the job properly, and do it once.

To quote from the website that Stoney linked to:

In our experience and as a rule of thumb, the dual mass flywheel of diesel engined vehicles should always be replaced at the same time as the clutch, on petrol engined cars more often than not it can be re-used, obviously there are exceptions to the rule, eg Mini Cooper S and Golf Turbos.

Valeo have created a range of flywheel conversion kits for some of the most popular models that replace the Dual Mass Flywheel with a Conventional single mass flywheel and a sprung clutch plate, which means that subsequent clutch replacements are much cheaper which makes them ideal for Taxi’s, vans and other high mileage vehicles. The drawbacks are, an increased level of noise and vibration in comparison to a dual mass setup and increased wear on the gearbox syncromesh as they now have to cope with the increased weight of the sprung clutch plate

So maybe a soild flywheel might make future clutch changes cheaper, but how long are you going to keep your car and how many clutches do you think you'll go through in the future before you sell it?
If you were a taxi driver, and planning on doing 500k before changing the car then maybe I could understand. I'm not and so I'll stick with the DMF. As the site says, it may wear the gearbox synchromesh - and you're just replacing one problem with another.

#13 flying clutchman

flying clutchman

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Ford Model: transit2.5D
Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

I ALWAYS change the DMF on any diesel vehicles when changing the clutch. Very often the clutch outlasts the flywheel. As to the issue of buying your own parts - DONT! The garage fitting the parts cannot take responsibilty for any parts you supply, and will therefore charge labour for refitting. The parts being o.e. is irrelevant, even o.e. parts can be defective. It's very unlikely that you are going to be able to buy genuine LUK, Sachs or Valeo (the o.e suppliers) parts cheaper than your garage. DMFs are hugely discounted to the trade and a garage will probably give you a lower quote for labour if they supply and fit.I'm not sure why people are being quoted £900 for the job, £600 is more like it. Obviously NOT at a main dealers!

#14 talksy

talksy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

hi guys

just had a quote from two different garages to replace the clutch on my focus and both have come back different.

One garage has said that they would just replace the clutch and thats it, this is the cheaper option so am liking this muchly!!!

Second garage has said that the dual mass fly wheel would need changing as weel so i should go for a solid wheel conversion kit, however this is obviously more money to pay out but if is needed obviously has to be done!!

so dilema! whos right?

Just out of interest, what mileage is your Focus, so I know when to start worrying. :)

#15 Pitmonster

Pitmonster

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: 2006 Mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec (Climate)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

My Focus is 82k and the symptoms are starting

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users