Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

geminiix3

Odometer Window Light & Ignition Key

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

In past few months a problem with my '03 Focus 1.6 that I've had about a year has cropped up: the small odometer sqare window in the instrument panel usually now remains dimly lit once the key is removed. It has increased until now it remains on mostly constantly, though occasionally it will go off. I have found that sometimes if I leave the spare key in the ignition the illumination will stay off when turned half-way on, otherwise it is constantly on. It recently resulted in drained (new) battery while I was away for two weeks, though battery seems to hold ok as long as I use car at least every 3-4 days. It gives the impression as though it is that like a bad earth/ground, in that there is a constant drain and the 'glow' sometimes flickers, but somehow I doubt it. I'm not too au fait with mechanical repairs, but some things I can manage. Electrics are hopeless...

Any thoughts appreciated. Many thanks

Take the clocks out and you'll probably find a wire back there that's shorting out

I agree, definitely something that's permanently live crossing over.

It may be something as simple as condensation on the board.

Give it a shot of WD40 and a good airing.