Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide: Fitting Bonnet Damper Strut Kit Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5

Lenny

I have purchased this very well built Custom bonnet strut kit for ford focus

From a company called Visual-PerformanceUK on eBay.co.uk

They stock and supply two different models of the kit depending on what model of focus you own,

For the Mk2 Focus (2005-2008)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-2005-07-GAS-BONNET-HOOD-DAMPER-LIFT-KIT-/250904330678?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6b1041b6

For the Mk2.5 Focus (2008-2010)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-08-GAS-BONNET-HOOD-DAMPER-LIFT-KIT-/290783697360?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b40f19d0

This guide shows fitting the Mk2.5 bonnet strut damper kit linked above.

So here is what you get in the kit:

IMG_20121122_173124.jpg

Image2462.jpg

Image2460.jpg

Image2461.jpg

As you can see in the images above,

Each of the fitting brackets are pre-labeled for straight forward easy to follow fitting.

Once the locations for each bracket have been noted. The labels can be easily removed for cosmetic purposes using a warm damp cloth.

The kit also comes with a small tub of grease and a Cotton bud for easy application of the stuff without messing up your hands or trousers.

Once you have set out all of the fitting kit and required tools.

Go out to your focus and open the bonnet, then position the stock bonnet support bracket for the last time.

IMG_20121122_173218.jpg

Then using a Philips head screwdriver and begin to remove the screw head grommet on the side wing panels.

I find it ideal to use a plastic drinks bottle cut in half and keep all small fixings in it until they are required for refitting. Costs nothing and helps to ensure no parts get lost.

IMG_20121122_120445.jpg

Once removed

Trace up to the top of the panel and lift the end off the rubber strip.

IMG_20121122_173458.jpg

I have looked in to removing this plastic panel for easier trimming but as you can see in the images below;

The side fender plastic trim panels are well bolted under the front wiper panel which spans the width of the car making complete removal of the plastic fender panels a bigger job than worth,

However fitting is possible without 100% removal of the plastic panels.

Remove the metal clips that grip the wiper panel.

IMG_20121122_173616.jpg

Gently lift the corner of the windscreen wiper panel to reveal a Torx Screw.

Using a 90degree elbow allen key; remove this screw and store safely with the other bits.

Once removed.

You should now have enough free play in the panels

To gently lift the plastic side panel and locate the side panel bolt.

Please note: lift the panel just enough to allow the socket wrench to remove the bolt, do not lift too high or fast because the panel would be liable to snap or crack when put under unnecessary strain.

IMG_20121122_173921.jpg

IMG_20121122_173639.jpg

IMG_20121122_173731.jpg

When the bolt has been removed.

Obtain the specific bracket for this side of the bonnet aswell as two serrated washers from the kit.

Fit 1 x serrated washer on to the bolt

Followed by the bracket,

And finally the second serrated washer,

IMG_20121122_173846.jpg

IMG_20121122_174128.jpg

Now bring back to the car and fit in place,

The flat edges on the bracket aswell as the pre-drilled hole make fitting a breeze because it lines itself up perfectly without fail.

When bolting it all down,

Just lightly tighten because fitting at this stage is just for cutting purposes and not final fit.

When in place it should look somthing like this:

IMG_20121122_120805.jpg

IMG_20121122_174820.jpg

• Like 1

I want some :) , great guide and great job Lenny , do they do the rear boot ones power full enough to lift it on it's own?

I want some :) , great guide and great job Lenny , do they do the rear boot ones power full enough to lift it on it's own?

Thanks mate,

Ive done some research in to the auto lift of the hatchback boot door by fitting the hydraulic arms from an Izuzu Cobra flat bed lid but the company who manufactures these custom hydraulic rams informed me that it would be almost impossible to achieve a perfect balance of speed and lift.

I asked if it would be possible to have it open with the press of the button on the flip key,

They said it wouldnt be safe because the force needed to lift from flat to horizontal would require so much force that it would need to travel at speed which could snap the boot hinges on stopping or throw a person to the ground if standing behind it.

So although i was happy with those odds,

They refused to take on the customisation.

So back to the drawing board, and the custom strut company wasnt visual performance it was a company in essex.

I have seen a mod where they use springs to kick the boot up a few inches until the struts take over. The only other way would be electric or pmeumatic , but they would not be cheap.

I have found a place that sells the springs . i'm going to measure tomorrow and see which ones will fit :)

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/search.cgi?undercat=0&search=springs&x=0&y=0

Sweet mate,

Good find their, company name sounds a bit fruity aswell as the red polyurethane rod they sell lol i can only think of one use for that one.

But the springs look good and the Green could pass for Tein spring, their not too expensive neither.

Im very interested to see how you get on mate i will follow in your footsteps.

Great find :)

I had a look a while back and found out on the standard shocks the boot will lift its self after about 2 or 3 inches of extension from the struts. So the springs would not need to be massive, just strong :S

Also got to think how easy it would be to actually get the springs on there.

Would defo be impressive if it works :) and also useful at the shops unless your parked in a multistory with a low roof :(

I have checked my struts and boot on my MK3 , the boot needs to be at least half way open before the struts take over. Struts compress down leaving 30mm of compression space.I don't think on a Mk3 with the weight of the boot lid and how far it needs to travel before the struts take over , that these springs would be enough , it would need stronger gas struts as well. :(. So i will keep on searching.

Has there been any progress on finding springs which would enable this on the MK2(.5) cars?

Definitely something I would be interested in!

Yea they are cool Lenny I want some, great guide to

Thanks mate,

They would make a nice Christmas present for your focus.

Also to all regarding the boot struts,

Ive found this video of a Mk3 Hatch Mondeo on the tube, anyone know how to contact the uploader for more information?

I reckon the Mk3 hatch Mondeo boot would be of similar weight to the focus

EVEN BETTER FOUND THIS!!

• 6 months later...

Great guide Lenny but do you have any pics of the cutting of the side trim?

wow like the video that a very gd idea, must be something in the boot lid triggering the boot mech, (i presume the struts are strong enough to lift the boot?)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

hopefully I will be tackling this mod on Saturday (bonnet struts)

lenny is there some info missing from this guide? is it self explanatory

any last minute tips?

Just bought a set of bonnet struts myself, doing the job some time this week.

• Like 1

just curious but which set did you buy? the item in the OP by lenny has ended and isn't listed in his eBay shop

ive emailed to ask about availability hoping he has some

I believe I bought the last set. Sorry :(

Had them on my watch list for ages and when I saw they were last ones I pounced quickly.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Take care when popping in the ball joints

I messed one of mine up when popping in the ball joint,

As result it kept slipping out of the bracket, so I rolled with one for a while but I've since removed both,

Collins performance also sell these kits for around 10 pounds more than linked seller,

CP have a good reputation in the world of engineering so they may be worth the extra 10 pounds

thanks lenny, think I might go with the Collins performance option as the original seller has these in stock for £55 +postage where as Collins is £59

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There's a set of these on sale on eBay at the moment if anyone's interested.

• 8 months later...

Can anyone tell me how long the dampers are fully extended on a mk2.5?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello. 

Don't suppose you would have an updated link to this for a mk2.5 focus? I've been having a look around but my google skills aren't the greatest. 

Thanks!