• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reynardthefox

reynardthefox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: mondeo

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hi guys-compliments on an excellent forum.
I have a 1996 Mk 2 Mondeo 1.8 Turbo diesel with 109000 miles on the clock.Just recently the clutch pedal has started to slip to the floor-only on first starting and not every time. After that it returns back to normal and operation is fine with no slipping or difficulty in changing gear.
I think it may be getting worse as the other day I had to pump it a couple of times.
I have topped up hydraulic fluid but only a small amount just to keep it on the max level.
I cant see any leaks but of course there is a engine weather protector panel under the car.
My local garage said it might be the slave cylinder on the clutch itself and said it could cost big bucks.
I was wondering- given the age and value of the car -how long is it likely to be before it fails completely and would bleeding the system help,any advice much appreciated
.BTW the brakes are fine

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 oilburner79

oilburner79

Feet Under The Table

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Name: darren
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec Collection
  • Year: 2000

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

If the slave cylinder is on the way out it'll be a matter of weeks! Most places say its a subframe off job to do but it is possible to change it without get a new clutch while its being done as well

#3 flying clutchman

flying clutchman

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Ford Model: transit2.5D
Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Check the master cylinder (behind the clutch pedal). There should be no sign of leaks at all. If there is any leak it needs changing. If it needs a slave cylinder and clutch it should cost under £400 all in. Obviously you have to decide if a 16yr old car is worth spending the money on!

#4 reynardthefox

reynardthefox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: mondeo

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for replies guys-still running-touch wood.I had a quick fumble behind pedal-no major leakage but might be a bit greasy-will have a good look at weekend.Would it be possible for the master to fail internally-ie no visible leak?
Also I have realised the symptoms described above are more likely to happen the day after my daughters driving lesson-!!

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clutch, Master, Slave, Hydraulic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users