• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name: Scott
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Metal
  • Year: 2012

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much cash I would need to part with in order to trade in my white Zetec S for a similar age/mileage Metal. The ZS has 13k on the clock but I am putting 400 miles a week on it getting to work and back so should I be looking to trade up sooner rather than later?

My ZS is in immaculate condition but I am considering parting with a grand or so to have the leather interior, twin exhaust and performance boost, etc. I absolutely love the handling and driving characteristics of the ZS, I look forward to driving it every time I step into the car, but it just makes me want that little bit more power. I've looked into a Mountune upgrade but it would be cheaper to part ex my car for a Metal plus I would get all the extras as well.

Do you think it's worth it? Is the metal going to cost me more to run? (I do about 70% of my driving on the motorway).

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,592 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

400 miles a week? Surely you'd be so much better off with the economy of a diesel?

As for the new car, figure out what you think yours is worth then take a couple of grand off, that's what the dealer will offer you!

#3 scotthunter

scotthunter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

400 miles a week? Surely you'd be so much better off with the economy of a diesel?

Nah, diesel is the fuel of the Devil! Couldn't be doing with the greasy hands every time I fill up, even if I have to visit the pumps slightly more often!

#4 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,592 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

It's called gloves :P well worth it for 50% more mpg!

#5 Marcr1

Marcr1

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: S1600

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

I couldn't own a diesel, it sounds like a tank and is slow off the mark. I'm insured on my parents 1.6 focus TDCi and it's hard work driving it. Forever seem to be changing gears as well

#6 scotthunter

scotthunter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I couldn't own a diesel, it sounds like a tank and is slow off the mark. I'm insured on my parents 1.6 focus TDCi and it's hard work driving it. Forever seem to be changing gears as well

I'll second that. All diesels sound like vans on tickover no matter how sporty they look, and the sharp responsiveness of the throttle just isn't there like on the petrol. When I'm driving a diesel I just don't get the same feeling of poise and control, and the power delivery feels vague by comparison. To sum up I think petrol is for drivers who love driving and want to feel totally involved in the driving experience. It's a smooth operator for most of the time, but can be animal if you want it to be.

#7 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,413 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I'd be inclined to disagree strongly, having driven petrol and diesel focus.
The diesel is more economical as I get nearly double the miles per tank than an equivalent petrol.
True my car is tuned but even before that the acceleration on turbo ear outstripped a petrol.
Going through the gears means you're actually more in tune with the car and I find mine gives great feedback from the road and is responsive to all input.
Also the tax and insurance is cheaper to boot.
Fair enough that servicing and parts are more pricey and ones with dpf need to have an eye kept on them but every coin has two sides.
In summary, my car never fails to put a smile on my face and canes a petrol equivalent hands down.
Plus diesels can be tuned far easier than a normally aspirated petrol.
(standing by for flack)

#8 sambooka

sambooka

Sam Oglesby

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Name: sam
  • Ford Model: mk7 fiesta tdci zetec s
  • Year: 2011

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

No arguments from me having driven a 1.8 petrol focus before my fez deisel I will never look back

#9 Marcr1

Marcr1

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Look back to what? Owning a diesel again?

Also you've got to take into account diesels are usually 1500ish more than a petrol and diesel is around 8-10p a litre more expensive so you really have to pile the miles on to make it more economical

#10 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,592 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Look back to what? Owning a diesel again?

I believe Sam means he will never look at petrol again!

Also you've got to take into account diesels are usually £1500ish more than a petrol and diesel is around 8-10p a litre more expensive so you really have to pile the miles on to make it more economical

When I drove my Fiesta I was doing 24,000 miles a year.Scott (the OP) is doing 20,800 which is well in to payback territory on a diesel purchase. Petrol would cost just too much!

#11 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,512 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

My diesel is quicker than a petrol ZS I had a go in, can't say on the Metal/S1600 though. I got to 100 quicker in the diesel, after that the Petrol was about even. I love the torque in the diesel, it makes the petrol seem gutless, may change my mind on the 1 litre but for now that's how it is to me :P

All I've done is put in a diesel tuning box, not even a K&N filter!

#12 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,592 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

I got to 100 quicker in the diesel

Which private road was that on? ;)

#13 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,512 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Which private road was that on? ;)

Airfield at Bruntingthrope :P went with my dad and a charity on a day playing with Noble Supercars and decided to have a play in the Fiesta too :P

#14 Marcr1

Marcr1

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

I believe Sam means he will never look at petrol again!

When I drove my Fiesta I was doing 24,000 miles a year.Scott (the OP) is doing 20,800 which is well in to payback territory on a diesel purchase. Petrol would cost just too much!

Yeah I agree with you on that one. If you're going to do the miles then yes it's worth it, but if you're only doing upto 15,000 a year then it's probably not worth it.

On this note prices are the lowest I've seen in a long time. Asda by me are selling @ 129.7. Shell is always massively more expensive. It's currently 138.9. Every other shell I see is cheaper though. Really annoying!

#15 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,592 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Right, in answer to the "oh diesel's so much more expensive at the pumps" argument - it's really not!

Petrol MK7 has 42l tank, at £1.299 that's £54.56 for a full fill up. If you get 350 miles that's 15.6p a mile

Diesel MK7 has 40l tank, at £1.389 that's £55.56 (a whole £1 more!) and if you get 520 miles that's 10.7p a mile.

Case closed :P

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users