• PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name: Scott
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Metal
  • Year: 2012

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Right, here we go Scott ;)

Assumptions:

• I know fuel cost won't be the same for 3 years but lets assume the gap stays the same
  • As above for road tax
  • I've been generous with the petrol MPG..
  • Cost new was taken from the ford.co.uk configurator for a 1.6 petrol & diesel Zetec-S and is list price with no extras or haggling!
Posted Image

I honestly average about 42 mpg and I do 20% urban, 80% motorway on my commute. My miles per tank is normally 320-350.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 Kentish Man

Kentish Man

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 1.6 Metal

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much cash I would need to part with in order to trade in my white Zetec S for a similar age/mileage Metal. The ZS has 13k on the clock but I am putting 400 miles a week on it getting to work and back so should I be looking to trade up sooner rather than later?

My ZS is in immaculate condition but I am considering parting with a grand or so to have the leather interior, twin exhaust and performance boost, etc. I absolutely love the handling and driving characteristics of the ZS, I look forward to driving it every time I step into the car, but it just makes me want that little bit more power. I've looked into a Mountune upgrade but it would be cheaper to part ex my car for a Metal plus I would get all the extras as well.

Do you think it's worth it? Is the metal going to cost me more to run? (I do about 70% of my driving on the motorway).

I have just purchased a Metal to replace my petrol 1.6 ZS which was stolen. The thing is you don't get this car if you are worried about MPG. Depending how you drive the MPG will probably be only slighly less which in my case was about ave 39 mpg. The difference between the two is the extra performance, it is a joy to drive the engine has a nice purring sound to it.

#33 Marcr1

Marcr1

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: S1600

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

In my s1600 (same engine as your metal) I average 32mpg. Solely city driving. On a motorway run it does rise to 45 if you're careful but like you say I didn't buy the car to worry about fuel consumption

#34 Fastfordman

Fastfordman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Volvo V40 D4 SE
  • Year: 2013

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

I do about 17k a year and plumped for the 1.6 ti-vct petrol focus as I do a 25 mile commute each way plus local site visits in the day. The local site visits were killingly the mpg in my old work van as it never got warm enough. Getting 41 mpg and very happy. For comparison when I bought my focus the equivalent diesel model cost over 2k more at a year old and had double the mileage.

The difference between diesel and petrol is much smaller today due to improved fuel economy in both engines. Diesels cost more to service and have more to wrong such as turbos. Unless you're doing mega miles I think it's a very individual thing diesel vs petrol everyone prefers one over the other for whatever reason. I am no fan of diesels and much prefer the refined performance of a petrol.

#35 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,568 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
Contributor

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

My local dealer charges the same for petrol or diesel servicing.

#36 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,502 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

My local dealer charges the same for petrol or diesel servicing.

Mine too, but I swapped from the original dealer when they tried arguing my spark plugs were on their way out... Not sure how I kept a straight face if honest.

#37 andyedge

andyedge

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Ford Model: Panther Black Fiesta Metal 2012

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Mine too, but I swapped from the original dealer when they tried arguing my spark plugs were on their way out... Not sure how I kept a straight face if honest.

What! For a TDCi? Seriously? They should be named & shamed.

#38 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,017 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Idiots.
I had a garage I used to go to that recommended two years in a row that my brake discs needed replacing within 2 months.
Suffice to say I don't use them anymore

#39 scotthunter

scotthunter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name: Scott
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Metal

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Right, here we go Scott ;)

Assumptions:

• I know fuel cost won't be the same for 3 years but lets assume the gap stays the same
  • As above for road tax
  • I've been generous with the petrol MPG..
  • Cost new was taken from the ford.co.uk configurator for a 1.6 petrol & diesel Zetec-S and is list price with no extras or haggling!
Posted Image

Nath,

Here's some real world figures for you to put into your spreadsheet. Filled up an almost empty tank yesterday. Odometer was 341.1 miles from full, with 5 miles left until 'empty'. Put in 41.87 litres at 1.319 per litre (Shell, Exeter), which came to 55.23. So my 1.6 118hp petrol engine costs 0.16 per mile to run based on a my average driving routes of 20% urban, 80% motorway. I don't exceed 70 on the m-way and change up on the green light in town. But no, that doesn't mean I drive like a granny, and acceleration is still 'decent' even when driving economically like this as it pulls reasonably well at relatively low speeds in high gear.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users