Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Progamming A New Key?

talksy

Hello, I have a 2009 focus. I bought a spare flip key from eBay with the view to getting it cut and programmed to use as a spare.

The instuction book for the car says it is just a case of inserting the key and doing a certain procedure. I ensured that the key I bought had the same codes etc.

Is it really this easy to programe it in?

I need to first find somewhere near N London who can lazer cut a key - harder than I thought.

Any help from people who have already done it would be good :)

The ignition procedure only programs the key to the central locking.

To make the key able to start the car you will need an auto locksmith with access to programming equipment (VCM/IDS).

The key needs to be authorised through the OBD port to set up the transponder chip in the top of the key.

I did this mod myself and found like you that

1/ Ford removed the ability to self add keys after the Mk1.5 focus

2/ some key cutting places freak out when they see ford laser keys as they reckon their machines will break cutting tips and get very pissy about it.

It's a pity you weren't in the south west as I have a very good mobile locksmith that I have passed details on to people I have come across while on duty who have lost keys or locked themselves out of cars.

I would recommend then that you ball a couple of auto locksmiths in your area and get a quote.

Put it this way, ford would charge a lot more for a new key than one of the locksmiths would.

I asked one dealer once and was told £185 plus was informed they insisted on a diagnostic and two hours labour (for something that takes literally 10 minutes to do).

Hope this points you in the correct direction.

Btw, I've had my flip key for nearly two years and it works perfectly every day.

The ignition procedure only programs the key to the central locking.

To make the key able to start the car you will need an auto locksmith with access to programming equipment (VCM/IDS).

The key needs to be authorised through the OBD port to set up the transponder chip in the top of the key.

I did this mod myself and found like you that

1/ Ford removed the ability to self add keys after the Mk1.5 focus

2/ some key cutting places freak out when they see ford laser keys as they reckon their machines will break cutting tips and get very pissy about it.

It's a pity you weren't in the south west as I have a very good mobile locksmith that I have passed details on to people I have come across while on duty who have lost keys or locked themselves out of cars.

I would recommend then that you ball a couple of auto locksmiths in your area and get a quote.

Put it this way, ford would charge a lot more for a new key than one of the locksmiths would.

I asked one dealer once and was told £185 plus was informed they insisted on a diagnostic and two hours labour (for something that takes literally 10 minutes to do).

Hope this points you in the correct direction.

Btw, I've had my flip key for nearly two years and it works perfectly every day.

Hi, thanks very much for your post. What a joke tho, can't believe that. It doesn't mention that in the manual!

Cheeky Ford and their expensive charges.

Well at least I have a spare key in case I ever loose one or damage the housing.

Unfortunately, I have never been near SW. I am near London and occasionaly go North as far as Middlesborough.

I will have a look around and see if I can get any ideas on pricing.

If you ever speak to your mobile locksmith and get any ideas on what sort of charges I would be looking at, I would be grateful to know.

I guess it is better to be safe with the locking system. I remember recently reading about how BMWs could be stolen in seconds using an ODB port. It was for the keyless models. -Can't beat a good old fashioned key. :)

It cost me £50 to have mine cut and coded. That was a mobile locksmith as well.

Hi, thanks for the post :) That isn't too bad. Hopefully the prices will be roughly the same in my area..

Who was that with & where are you located ?

cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club