• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 santiagopilgrim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk6 TDCI

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

So here's the story so far:

My beloved mk6 TDCI 1.4 fiesta was travelling at 45mph when a car pulls out in front of me. I slam on the brake but this car hits me on the front right side and pushes me up a curb that was on the left.

The car was left with some minor damage, but the impact of the curb made the steering wheel offset considerably.

I got my baby back from the Accident Repair workshop and it's not been right since. First there was a grinding noise underneath which after changing various wheel bearings and many other things it was found to be a noisy driveshaft bearing, of course this was "due to wear and tear" and coincidentally started happening straight after the accident, i had to fix it myself.

I have fixed just about everything bit by bit. The only thing that beats me is the following.

There is a vibration on the steering at speeds of over 65mph as if the wheel was off balance.
Things i have tried:
-new alloys.
-wheel balancing (so many times...)
-swapping wheels back and forth.
-two front wheel bearings.

The vibration never goes away.

Last time i was in to try balance wheels they did the tracking, it was slightly off and upon correcting it to laser perfection (i saw it with my own eyes), the car was perfectly aligned although the steering wheel is pointing at 11oclock.

Another thing it has been doing which i am sure is linked, the brakes warped. I changed the fronts for new ones and it was perfect, but, slowly and surely they have started warping again in only a couple of months and now they are very noticeably warped. (ive been careful with them, the vibration has warped them not my driving).

Now i dont want to spend £100/hr for someone to check every single component and although i know its a long shot some of you guys might have an idea as to what component is bent or broken to cause what i described.

sorry about the essay, if anyone has any helpful comments please let me know your thoughts, i am completely lost with it and although i love the car to bits my wallet hates the bugger, and i will have to find a replacement vehicle soon if i cannot get her back to a still wheel on the motorway and smooth brakes.

Thank you so much for any help,

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 DieselPig

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2011

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

If you were pushed into the kerb the axle/strut/wishbone/anti-rollbar/subframe may be bent and the steering rack would suffer. You seem to have covered the most likely suspects such as wheels and balancing.

The vibration could be the discs rubbing against the pads the friction will cause the discs to warp. Do the pads look worn on one side or are they worn evenly?

I would strip the suspension and checked for bent/worn components.

You should not have accepted the car after the repairs, who repaired it?

#3 eyemdee

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Name: Ian
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.4 Titanium Automatic GONE!
  • Year: 2011

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

If it was an insurance repair then the work done to the car should be guaranteed and it should be returned for them to fix it! How long ago did they repair it?

#4 santiagopilgrim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk6 TDCI

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Well when it came back with a grinding noise I knew it wasn't right, but even after discussing it with insurance they just said it was wear and tear and I can't prove it was the accident that caused it. It's been an awful time ever since the accident to be honest. I didn't realise the vibration until a few months later when I was on motorway, and judging by how they dealt with the grinding noise they'll tell me my car is old and could be due to anything but the accident. It was a year ago it happened now, one very long year.

I've no knowledge of fixing cars and wouldn't know where to start to strip the suspension, and all thoSe components mentioned sound like it could be anything between the two front wheels... I was just checking if anyone knew for sure what it could be but the reality is I've missed out on a driving holiday and spent all my money trying to fix a car that's still f***ed.

I just want this to end and unfortunately not even ford have any suggestions other than pay a bloke 100/hr to check everything.

Perhaps someone that doesn't drive on motorway will find my car more useful than me!

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users