Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling/squeaking In The Rear Of The Car

King coz

Hi everybody,

I purchased a ford fiesta zetec s 59 plate in July

I have been over the moon with it until recently when I have discovered a squeaking noise coming from the boot area / rear window.

It is driving me crazy, I have even put people in the boot to try and identify what it is but they can't point a finger on it

I took the spare wheel out and the jacks as I thought it could have been that, even took the parcel shelf out but it still continues to annoy the hell out of me!

Not sure if this Is a common fault or not

I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out

Thanks in advance

Hi, I had a squeeking noise from the back of the car aswell not too long ago and I took it into my local ford garage who said its quite a common problem. If you look under the car just above the exhaust theres a kind of metal foil heat sheild and it will have come loose. You can either replace it or just remove it all together. The ford garage said its not important and its fine to just get rid of it altogether. Hope this helps

If your handbrake pulls up high then the squeaking could be coming from your rear brakes had it on mine just adjusted them and cleaned the drum out as there was a few bits of brake shoe rattling around

Our Fiesta used to rattle from the boot area and it turned out to be the boot latch - it's quite a common problem and has been covered on here in the past I think.

As a quick fix, I wrapped the latch in a thick layer of electrician's tape and it's never done it since. Give that a go!

Check that the rubber boot stops are making contact with the hatch, if not then sometimes the hatch will bounce a bit.

Check that the rubber boot stops are making contact with the hatch, if not then sometimes the hatch will bounce a bit.

True... our Fiesta also had longer rubber stops fitted by the dealer :)

Thanks for all your replies. I'll have a play around tomorrow and see what I can do

Fingers crossed i'll get it sorted!

• 3 years later...
On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM, King coz said:

Hi everybody,

I purchased a ford fiesta zetec s 59 plate in July

I have been over the moon with it until recently when I have discovered a squeaking noise coming from the boot area / rear window.

It is driving me crazy, I have even put people in the boot to try and identify what it is but they can't point a finger on it

I took the spare wheel out and the jacks as I thought it could have been that, even took the parcel shelf out but it still continues to annoy the hell out of me!

Not sure if this Is a common fault or not

I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out

Thanks in advance

Hey ....

I recently been getting the same noise as ur describing, a rattleing squeaky noise from the boot area/ rear window or somewhere around there. I can't put my finger on what the noise is, it's driving me insane. I was just wondering did u ever solve the noise from your car. If so please could u let me know how u sorted it or what it was. Many thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, 

Just created account. I am also experiencing the same kind of problem, something rattling from rear area. I took it two times to the ford dealer already and still nothing. 

Do any of you have the polystyrene tool tray under the boot floor instead of the spare wheel?  I had the same squeaking noise, only thing that got rid of it was to remove it and put a spare wheel in its place - that got rid of the squeaking at least.

I still have a rattle - which I think I've narrowed down to the trim panel on the boot lid, but I can't work out how to remove it.

I was in my local Evans Halshaw last week for something else and asked them to look at it - they took it on a 1 minute test drive and because it didn't happen basically told me I was hearing things...unprofessional hacks, and these are meant to be the experts?  I won't be going back.

• 1 year later...

Hi folks l too experienced noise from rear of car. Garage I had car from did a service on the fiesta 2006 plate. Also asked them to investigate noise and blamed it on a shock absorber which they replaced but did not solve the noise. Run it into Kwik fit no charge for checking the exhaust for rattle or other solutions,  but the fitter had a brother with same problem found the offside rear seat catch had play while in contact with its catch. You can simulate the noise by removing the parcel shelf and taking hold of seat catch bracket and hear the noise by tugging at it with the seat in locked position. This was the same noise and cured it by folding seat forward then only a small amount of electricians tape wrapped around where the catch connects, make sure red indicator on latch folds flat. If it does not remove some tape and try again. In my case l have cured my problem. Hope this does same for someone else. Bye John.

• 10 months later...

I had same fault and symptoms (Squeaking/squealing noise seems to be coming when I'm turning right on the steering wheel, even slightly. When turning back even slightly left it appears to stop). There is a nut at each of the suspension lower ball joints, located behind each wheel. One of the nuts was turned the wrong way, touching the wheel plate. Definitely not the wheel bearing as this fault creates high pitch screeching. Wheel bearing is low pitch whining noises. *** Check the lower suspension behind each wheel.

• 2 years later...

had the same problem, turned ot to be where the back seat connects to the floor, bit of grease on the connectors fixed it 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club