Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Identifying A Part, X Reg Fiesta Zetec

Fiestatailpart

I'm looking for a part which as simply as I can put, are Electronic tailgate connector touch-pads. It's the part where the prongs on the boot-lid connect to the actual body.

I currently have no rear wipers.

Will be ringing a few scrapyards but I need to know the actual part name so I can locate it! Any help would be great guys.

I had exactly the same problem a few years ago on a Ka and I eventually traced it to the earth connection which passes through and relies on the conductivity of the hinges. You can easily test for this by connecting a wire from an earth point on the body (eg around a rear lamp cluster) to the earth point on the rear wiper motor. If this makes the wiper work then the hinges are the culprits.

If this is the cause, I seem to remember tapping the hinge pins slightly to one side, sanding down around the (painted) contact points, and then tapping them back into position. Never failed again.

I had exactly the same problem a few years ago on a Ka and I eventually traced it to the earth connection which passes through and relies on the conductivity of the hinges. You can easily test for this by connecting a wire from an earth point on the body (eg around a rear lamp cluster) to the earth point on the rear wiper motor. If this makes the wiper work then the hinges are the culprits.

If this is the cause, I seem to remember tapping the hinge pins slightly to one side, sanding down around the (painted) contact points, and then tapping them back into position. Never failed again.

Thanks, I'm sure that's not the problem as the part actually seems to have burnt out! It's black and honestly looks like its melted, so I think I need to replace it completely. I just want to avoid having to buy a whole tail gate from a scrapyard. When I get on a laptop I will try and upload a picture of the part. Appreciate the reply however.

Yes, I know the part you mean as I spent a long time thinking the same as you with mine. It has (or should have) 3 or 4 sprung brass coloured "fingers" which make contact with metal plates in a black plastic surround in the tailgate housing. Have you tested for a voltage present at any of the the fingers with the wiper and ignition switched on? If the fault has been searched for previously there will likely be scrape marks on those metal plates!

If it looks burnt out it would suggest a past short circuit but that should have taken out the relevant fuse fairly quickly. Have a look around the tailgate hinges for any sign of burning there also.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club