Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 1.6 Metal
  • Year: 2012

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Picking up my new metal tomorrow, been in touch with a company who besides being able to protect the ecu/obd port said they can fit new locks (if there is such a thing) that can't be picked. I take it you would have to get this approved by your insurer. Anyone got views on this it would appear that Ford's are easy targets.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Marcr1

Marcr1

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: S1600

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

You'd be better off getting a cat 1 thatchcam alarm, with a proximity sensor. Anyone who goes too close to the car & the alarm will go off.
You can also get an infrared barrier on the inside, i.e. the system knows the distance to th windows. It's shell if you like and the moment the barrier is broken the car alarm will sound also

#3 DieselPig

DieselPig

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2011

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Are the new locks recognised by the insurers or have Thatcham testing? If they've never heard of them you may be wasting cash better spent on a good alarm as above.

#4 Kentish Man

Kentish Man

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 1.6 Metal

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

I did not have the new locks fitted in the end but had the ecu/obd proctection 95 pounds + vat. they put the conection socket in a lockable box which has been security tested and move in up in the dashbroad. If the theifs break into the car when they pull the little compartment down looking for the ecu/obd port it is not there. Just remember to let let the techs know about it at service time. It was done by a family run company near Grays in Essex http://www.protectav...otection-device
Most of there work is on vans but it's now spreading to cars,they have been having talks with Ford at Brentwood, loads of transits being stolen at the moment,very friendly people one of the chaps there is a forum member drives a S1600. They even show a video of how these crooks steel the vehicles and program the keys etc.

#5 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,814 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

That is a very good bit of kit indeed.
I reckon that should be standard on all Fords, especially the keyless entry versions which seem to be the main target.
I'm even tempted myself.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users