Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not Starting Properly

Luke Fletcher

Evening guys,

I have a focus 2008 tdci 2.0cc. Recently it has been struggling to start the first time. I turn the key and it just kinda ticks and then if I turn the whole car off and then start it it starts ok. But when I do this the auto wipers and lights play up. On the odd chance it starts first time it works ok with mo glitches.

Any ideas as to what this is. It is out of warranty now as well. Could it be glow plugs or spark plugs or is it something more complicated.

If you want any mor info just ask

Luke

First port of call would be to get the battery checked, all your symptoms are classic failing battery ones. It will be the cheapest starting point. If it is the battery it will only get worse in this cold weather, and you could be left stranded, so get it checked asap.

Morning,

Thank you for your response. I will take a look in to this. Do you think I should just changed the battery or take it to a garage and get it checked????

Luke

You should be able to get a free battery check, I'd suggest getting this done as there may be other factors causing the poor starting but this would the best starting point. If its been on the car for a long time (years) you'd be just as well replacing it anyway. If possible, try not to buy the cheapest one, opt for a decent mid range battery, and you should be fine for years to come.

Ford will do a free one will they mate? Well I think it's Been on there since new in 08. Maybe will change it and see what happens. Yeah, will opt for a half decent one. Any suggestions what make?

Luke

Any really as long as it is a silver calcium one (most are now anyway) and the amps and amp hours are at least as good as the one that is already on the car. I'd think ford would test your battery for free, but if not garages like kwik fit will also do the same.

Thank you for all you assistant. If when the battery is replaced should I then investigate the alternator.

Are you familiar with alternators?

What should I look for, should a garage look at this?

Luke

Best just to check the battery first before digging any deeper, as you may not need to. Although I wouldn't associate an alternator with starting problems, unless of corse its not charging, then its a similar test to the battery, nothing complex, just a multi meter to test the charging rate. Check the battery first, and go from there, chances are its just a duff battery :-)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club