Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

clubber

Anyone Retrofitted Power Fold Mirrors?

72 posts in this topic

Have read through this trying to work out if I can use the puddle lamps supply on my car to provide power for something else (logo lights) without having to do a big wiring job. Must be getting lazy in my old age!

Car is 3-dr ST3 with global closing and going off the wiring schematics it's got door modules too (not checked properly though could see something through the door pad when bottom of armrest/handle was removed)

Pulled the connection off door switchpack yesterday plus had a peek at the mirror connections, drivers side only so far.

My door mirror has 8-pin plug with 6 cables going off to mirror motors, heater and side repeater.

On the door loom side there is an extra cable in pin 8 of the male connector, colour orange/white which I understand from the schematics (page 72) goes to pin 2 of a connector on the door module. I've not got as far as taking the doorpad off to investigate further just yet.

From this am I safe in thinking that if I was able to enable puddle lights with an ELM or similar then this would mean I've got the wiring needed apart from whatever is in the mirror itself and could tap off this to power logo lights?

Got hold of a set of the folding mirrors plus puddle lamps etc, wired in the extra cable to the mirror on drivers side and fitted the other bits yesterday but had some fun & games with the puddle lamps.

The lenses fit fine into the mirror housing but the little rubber holder for the bulb doesn't fit onto the lens assy very well at all and it then fouls when you try and fit the lens into the mirror. Gave up in the end and left the bulb holders out till I sort it out :(

Have people come across this before? If needed I can try and get hold of a mate with an RS to have a look if he doesn't mind me pulling his mirror apart.

Hi, guys,

it seems discussion about folded mirrors seems like very interesting to me,

I also would like to add folded mirrors, and :

I have now buyed folded mirrors, mirrors have both 8pins attached,

on driver side I have 7pins, passenger side 8pins,

but know what to do with wiring to make those working,

one thing, I buyed also fold switch near inside door knob (see pic) and would like to know how it connect to DDM, have anyone knows maybe ?

I found something like from this link : http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/pelny/b229d7314547466f.html

greetz!

Hello guys,

I recently came across a set of side mirrors that the seller claims they are powerfold.

I haven't managed to make them fold yet, but that could be due to wiring in my car.

Can anyone confirm that 8M51 17682 EJ is in fact, powerfolding? It looks awfully like my current mirrors (inside the cap), and it only has 6 pins going to the plug like my current ones.

Thanks

The ones I bought recently, powerfold with puddle lamps are 8M51 17682/3 T*. I'd have to some more digging on Monday to find out what variant the EJ's are.

For powerfold your mirrors should have a cable in pin 4 of the mirror connector, possibly white and green if the colours match the wiring from the door.

Powerfold mirrors always end in TC or TD,TF anything else is a standard mirror

Guys,

I have managed to mount mirrors and from driver side I had 7pins (I had to connect another 8 pin as from instruction) and from passenger side I had 8 pins,

so now mirrors are working fine,

but the question is how to manage those mirrors to fold/unfold from car arm/disarm key ?

Has anyone have some idea maybe ?

regards

Thanks for your help guys. Terry, the seller claims that if they have six wires, they should be powerfold although my current ones have 6 wires too. Before i send those back, are you certain that EJ doesn't have powerfold? Just to clarify, those don't have puddle lights, just powerfold...

I'll back Terry up, the E-level variants are listed as Power, Heated, with indicators. Not power-fold.

From what I could see, EJ doesn't actually exist?

Great, thanks very much guys! Not the replies i was expecting, but at least i know have to return them...

Guys, I finally came across some mirrors that i'm 99% sure are powerfold. They are not TF but LF so I dismandled them and noticed two wires going to the place where the folding mechanism is. They also have 9 wires attached to them, so i'm feeling confident.

I've enabled puddle and powerfold and when plugged in, puddle worked fine. I've got the 4 window switch and i was hoping it would also fold, but obviously it didn't.

I purchased the simple switch, without the alarm bit. After i took the door card out, i couldn't find a wire that would plug to it. Could it be behind the large metal door card?

1. Any ideas where to look for it, or how to wire it? It has 3 pins and one is the signal which is described on the first posts, but i still need the other two.

2. I also tried to take apart the window mechanism hoping that i could somehow convert it to a powerfold switch as in RS, but my electronics skills are not that great and i couldn't see how to do it.

any ideas welcome

Guys, I finally came across some mirrors that i'm 99% sure are powerfold. They are not TF but LF so I dismandled them and noticed two wires going to the place where the folding mechanism is. They also have 9 wires attached to them, so i'm feeling confident.

I've enabled puddle and powerfold and when plugged in, puddle worked fine. I've got the 4 window switch and i was hoping it would also fold, but obviously it didn't.

I purchased the simple switch, without the alarm bit. After i took the door card out, i couldn't find a wire that would plug to it. Could it be behind the large metal door card?

1. Any ideas where to look for it, or how to wire it? It has 3 pins and one is the signal which is described on the first posts, but i still need the other two.

2. I also tried to take apart the window mechanism hoping that i could somehow convert it to a powerfold switch as in RS, but my electronics skills are not that great and i couldn't see how to do it.

any ideas welcome

Does your focus have one touch up/down window ? and rear electric windows as the power fold works of the door modules as if you don't have these your going to have problems :(

Yes, i've got all 4 windows with one-touch up and down. Since it's a fully populated switch, i was hoping it would act as powerfold too.

I have the correct modules (PDM and DDM?) and i only miss the wire between them and the mirror. I also miss the wires that go to the fold switch.

Ideally, i would like to have them folding with the switch, but also working with lock/unlock as I can currently open and close all windows and sunroof with the remote.

I suggest you buy the window switch 1694232 @ £ 49.60 with the mirror fold function as you only need to add one wire from the door module to the mirror

And to make them fold with the remote you need to get hold of someone with the UCDS adaptor as this is the only why you will get them to work via the remote

If you don't mind traveling to me i can fit them for you and i have the UCDS adapter so i can also make them fold with the remote

I had to order the new window switch part in through local ford dealer it arrived from Germany in about 3days then swapped it over with existing fitted part, then as already said only had one wire to install simple job.

I think the combined window switch is the way forward for you - not sure if cars which had the folding mirrors combined with the alarm sensing switch had a different loom with more wires or if the signal goes through a single canbus feed. Tried to see what the wiring diagram said but couldn't quite work it out.

On the other hand as mentioned above everything works tickety-boo if you get the window switch and put in the 1 extra wire, the extra signal from the switch for mirror folding is all handled by the canbus :)

Have i mentioned the car is a LHD? I did some more digging today and i came across the following:

There is no plug hidden anywhere that would power the mirrors switch.

There is no wire going to DDM (black) location 17

There is no wire on location 8 on the mirror plug and the DDM (blue) location 14

There is no relay at the back seats. I'm not sure if there should be one, but i read that it's needed and is located under the carpet at the rear door. Is this right?

It's probably going to be a bit harder than i thought. I do like the idea, of getting the window switch, but i'd firstly make sure mine doesn't work.

Its strange tho that Mcat shows some switches at around £120 whereas the one you suggested is only £50, even though it states power fold. Ford works in mysterious ways...

I take it the UCDS is different to the modified ELM right?

If your car has the door modules etc then the power-fold mirrors operate through the existing wiring connection to the windows/mirror adjust switch. On my car this is a 3-wire connection - 12V, ground, and CANBUS. All the extra functionality of the new switch (with powerfold) is covered by the canbus once you've enabled it via ELM 327 or similar. There's no connector hidden which you have to dig out, also from the wiring schematic there's no relay required or shown in the circuit, just canbus and 12V/ground to the folding mirror motors.

It's normal that pin 14 on DDM is not wired to the mirror connector, this does have to be wired in to make the mirrors fold in.

Hope this helps

Tezza likes this

Working for ford over 23 years it does not matter if it's left hand drive or right hand drive :)

As for the relay your talking about that only applies to the mk2 pre facelift and does not the facelift

Trust me if you have a facelift just fit the mirrors and the new mirror/ window switch and add a wire from the mirror to the door module pin 14 blue connector and all will work as I have done this to mine and a few others and it works perfect :)

Yes the UCDS is like the ELM but better as you can do the same as ELM but more :) cost more but worth every penny

jeebowhite likes this

Thanks for your responses guys.

My window switch has three pins too, so i'm guessing it's just a matter of its firmware. Internally it seems like a remote and there isn't anything obvious missing, or any blank spots that would give it the powerfold function.

I'll be adding the missing wire today as i just received the needed Dupont terminals... I'll also order the switch so i can test once it arrives.

If anyone closer to Manchester has a UCDS adapter it would be great, alternatively, i'll eventually bug Terry for that.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I installed the mirrors and the window switch you suggested and everything is now working fine.

Just some notes,

* The mirrors i mentioned above are in fact powerfold. One of them is -LF and i don't recall the other.

* They did have 9 wires, so i guess that could be an indication that they fold.

* LHD mirror glasses have different zoom to the ones used in RHD cars. I had to replace the glasses with my existing ones.

I now need just the UCDS adaptor to complete this mod.

Did i read correctly on their website, that their software charges you €10 each time you apply some of the main operations? Also, i believe they no longer sell them, until they receive the new chips. Is that right?