Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 Tdci 109Bhp Losing Power And Stalling

Andyr16

Hi Guys

I have a Focus 1.6 TDCi Zetec on an '06 plate that has in the last 3 days developed a problem, when accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear and the engine has gone over 3k revs the car seems to just lose all power and comes to a stop and the engine stalls, whenever this has happened I've pulled over and in turning the steering wheel the only error message I'm getting is 'Power Assist Steering Failure'.

Any ideas? I've not had chance to pull the air filter yet, and not replaced the fuel filter so wondering if one of them a cause thinking it's air or fuel starvation), it's also due for it's 125k service, just can't afford right before Christmas to put it in.

t runs fine if I don't let it hit 3k revs, short shifting etc. I had a similar issue on my Mk1 Tddi where it was the throttle pedal wearing out and every 115 miles it would go into limp mode.

On this car though this morning it happened on a roundabout after pulling off, so after restarting I tried my 3k theory and that out it into stall. Only had the car 5 months and got the dealer to replace the turbo as original replacement had a flaw in the casing, so not sure what to do now. Should also point out it starts back up fine and runs fine after restarting.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated as don't want anything to happen when I have my two young kids in the car with me.

Thanks

Andy

Are the fluids topped up for the dreaded DPF, Or has it ever had the DPF replaced ? If not, this could be one cause of the problem. Can you feel the turbo kick in, as you should be able to if it only cuts out a 3k revs ?

Hi Mike

The service report from Inchcape reports the 'catalytic converter' was replaced at 89K, this was done by Allen Ford, presuming as the car is a diesel, the 'cat' is the DPF..... no idea about fluids, last service was 100k, but it's dues for the 125k service now, so likely a possibility. The turbo is kicking in, took the car for a run tonight up the local dual carriageway, at 3k revs it was either cutting out or stuttering momentarily and then carrying on. The issues only seem to happen under hard acceleration, if I take it easy and let the revs and speed build gradually, it wasn't cutting out.

The car does does have a full service history, so the relative high mileage didn't bother me at pruchase as I assumed all okay. I did replace the cabin 3 months ago, looked horrific and extremely grotty, so have been wondering about the air filter, chucking it down right now, so will have to take a look when dry. Also thinking fuel starvation..... damn DPF's, wish I'd researched more into this initially.

Might give Allen Ford a call tomorrow, sure they should have something on record for the previous services.

Cheers

Andy

All newer cars have cats, petrol and diesels, a DPF however is NOT the same thing. It's name, DIESEL PARTICLE FILTER, and its function is to reduce the amount of crap that comes out the back of the car, same principle as a cat, but not exactly. It is not recommended to use cars fitted with these for short trips, ie, just town driving etc, and the car should be given a good run monthly at a constant speed for a set time to give the dpf enough time to heat up and burn off any built up sediment lurking around its inners. The system also uses a fluid to lube the system whilst operating. A garage can sometimes do what is called a 'forced regeneration' of the DPF, but if this fails, its time to replace and the costs really start to stack up. If it hasn't had one already it will be due replacing from what I've read. Like I said earlier, it may not be this causing your problems, something as simple as a clogged up fuel filter can cause the symptoms your getting. Might also be worth visiting a local garage and having the car put on a code reader, to see if there is anything stored on the cars memory. Fingers crossed its not the DPF for you.....

Would be useful if they had an additive warning light, well think it might be an air filter and fuel filter change ( I can stretch to that before Christmas) and keep my fingers crossed, not looking forward to having to bleed the fuel system though, so much easier on the MK1, new filter, prime it with fuel, job done :-)

Just as a point of interest, how much are we talking for a new DPF?

Andy

Well that could explaing it losing power, the hose from the air filter to the turbo has a whacking great split in it, price for a replacement, about £90 from Ford.......

You'd think so, but no, it's sounded the same the whole time, now have to pay the shocking prices ford charge for a replacement

Have a nosey on eBay or ring round the breakers yards if you don't fancy paying ford prices ?

Way ahead of you matey, already emailed Car Transplants out Winsford way, and going to try McGuinesses who are near me, there is one on eBay, but he's stating January for delivery, emailed him to confirm £30 plus postage is a lot less than £90 :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out it was the additive tank running on virtually empty that was causing the issue, £75 and a refill and reset later and the car is running sweetly again.... Damn you DPF!!!!!!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club