Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

if the needle never drops in the cold you have summat wrong simple chemistry im afraid

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Daryll

Daryll

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Style 1.6 tdci

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I had this weirdness this morning..... in the 2 years i've had my 1.6 tdci I've noticed that it takes considerably longer to warm up in the winter.

My normal commute is a 15 mile drive along country roads and in the summer its up to temp within 5 minutes... this morning, at -3 degrees, it was only up to half way when i got to work. As I drove around site looking for a parking space the engine temp actually dropped even more..!

As there was no signs of gritting, and it had been below freezing for the past 2 days, I was driving gently, high gears and low revs etc..and I did have the heat turned almost fully up, and the fan on 2....

#18 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Its simple the thermostat stays closed coolant only circulates through the engine to the expansion tank where its drawn up cia the pump back into the engine where the temp gets up as soon as the thermostat opens the cookants too cold due to the coldness of the air thermostat shuts again if it doesnt get that hot to open the thermostat then the coolant goes engine to expansion tank back to engine niw you turn the fan on that draws heat away from the engine it will take a lot longer to get all up to temp 15miles isnt long enough simple physics since the fans drawing heat away from the engine the coolant will be cooler mine dors it too yet above 3degrees it sits bang where it should

#19 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,191 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

I had this weirdness this morning..... in the 2 years i've had my 1.6 tdci I've noticed that it takes considerably longer to warm up in the winter.

My normal commute is a 15 mile drive along country roads and in the summer its up to temp within 5 minutes... this morning, at -3 degrees, it was only up to half way when i got to work. As I drove around site looking for a parking space the engine temp actually dropped even more..!

As there was no signs of gritting, and it had been below freezing for the past 2 days, I was driving gently, high gears and low revs etc..and I did have the heat turned almost fully up, and the fan on 2....

Diesels are much more thermally efficient than petrols so they loose heat much more easily.

#20 soulman123

soulman123

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Name: Micheal
  • Ford Model: 1.8 ghia petrol
  • Year: 2004

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

I finally got round to changing this a couple of days ago. I held off posting soon to observe the behaviour. The needle sits bang on what appears to be 90 actual temp of 92 when checked with a probe. When aimed at the window as before in the morning it makes no difference what setting its on and sits in the middle. A lot of conflicting info about this but at the cost and annoyance I thought I could change it and reknew my coolant.

I used a little instant gasket seal on refitting the housing on the thermostat for extra peace of mind, no coolant has leaked. I was a litle worried that it would not go back togetehr properly but luckily it did. (used a genuine thermostat)

Thanks for all the advice.

#21 cragger89

cragger89

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Ford Model: 2011 Focus Zetec Sport MK 2.5
  • Year: 2011

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Told you so :-)

Glad you got it sorted before any expensive damage occurred.

#22 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,191 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

good result mate and thanks for the update

#23 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

Hopefully you are sorted but from past experience as soon as the temp outside drops bear in mind its mikder right now dont be surprised if the same thing happens again

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users