Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sneaky New Speed Cameras?

mjt

There's word going around about a new kind of speed camera hidden in the central crash barrier. I thought that the law had been changed a few years back so that all cameras had to be conspicuously marked with fluorescent orange panels and that warning signs had to be installed at a prescribed distance. Does anyone know anything about these?

post-757-0-26821000-1354875893_thumb.jpg

Not sure on this one, perhaps Stoney can shed some light on this.

As far as I'm aware though they don't need to display speed camera signs but the speed limit must be clear and well sign posted...

I've seen this reported on Twitter and the like, and it is always debunked as a hoax.

Every report I've seen uses the exact same photos you have posted.

See this German website from *2007* (which also declares them as a hoax)

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t59116.html

Same pictures....

I just googled for "crash barrier speed camera" and everyone says its a hoax. But like most Internet rumours, it just won't die.

Not licenced for use in the UK, not being trialled in the UK, not planned for introduction in the UK.

Don't worry.

Not licenced for use in the UK, not being trialled in the UK, not planned for introduction in the UK.

Don't worry.

Problem solved lol

It would cost too much to install as there is rarely anything to connect these to along a central reservation. Imagine the work required in supplying power and network links. I doubt we would ever see these here.

Ok, thanks for the clarification (especially Stoney).

there does have to be camera warning signs doesnt there? ..thats why they're all over the place, just so in the event a van pulls up you cant complain

and im not sure but dont the majority of cameras get you from a distance then snap a pic of the number plate when you pass? ..meaning it doesnt matter whether you see them or not, its too late!

Without markings also on the road and its low height it would not be possible to calculate the speed from photographs taken by the camera. :rolleyes:

Don't worry.

its a conspiracy, dont believe a word Stoney says - the money goes towards the Xmas champers lol!

its a conspiracy, dont believe a word Stoney says - the money goes towards the Xmas champers lol!

I'd be lucky to get a Christmas cup of tea.

Without markings also on the road and its low height it would not be possible to calculate the speed from photographs taken by the camera.

Surely the front-facing cameras (can't remember their name) don't use road markings and can calculate speed directly from the doppler measurement so presumably these barrier-mounted ones operate on the same principle.

Surely the front-facing cameras (can't remember their name) don't use road markings and can calculate speed directly from the doppler measurement so presumably these barrier-mounted ones operate on the same principle.

Truvelo Speed Cameras

The forward facing Truvelo camera system is designed to take photographs of the front of a passing vehicle, this allows the picture taken to show the driver of the vehicle as well.

To avoid the 'flash' which is given out by a rear facing Gatso camera the Truvelo system uses an infra red flash which produces no visible 'flash' to the approaching driver. These rely on 3 white-lines in the road, painted just before the camera, and are triggered by strips in the road, used to gain the vehicles speed.

Ok. Point taken, but from the description I think the camera uses signals from the strips buried in the road, and not the white lines, to measure the speed. Unlike the Gatso this camera only takes a single photo and doesn't require human interpretation of the image for speed calculation.

The system relies on sensors in the road, any lines are positioned for calibration and reference points.

Speed infringement is calculated by the time taken to cross the sensors.

As the cars details are logged with an ANPR system only one picture is needed which is more for driver recognition than anything else.

Take Stoney's word for it, he has experience with road traffic law. Those little critters are not in the UK.

Below is a link to a site which has a pretty good handle on all cameras currently in use and on trial within the UK (inc. Northern Ireland).

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/speed-camera-types.htm

It does not include data on dedicated ANPR (usually the PIPS P362 system) as used in london and various other cities to varying degrees (inc. my home city Plymouth) the data on which can be seen here-

http://www.pipstechnology.co.uk/index.php

My patrol vehicle, other Response vehicles and many Traffic dedicated vehicles in the Devon & Cornwall Police area are fitted with the SLATE system but quite a few still also employ the PIPS system due to interoperability with adjacent Police Services in the South West (Avon & Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire, South Wales).

PIPS is also increasingly being employed by local Councils, private car parks, toll booths and fuel stations in order to manage parking schemes and enable the issuing of civil enforcement Penalty charge notices (PCN).

With average speed cameras, there are only 2 cameras that actually work when you approach a bunch of them. So if you see 4 in a row then only two will work. Get your passenger to point your phone camera at one and you will see it glow. (don't do this driving.. its dangerous lol) Also they only work in one lane at a time. So changing lane in between prevents the camera catching you (thats why they always ask you to stay in lane ;) )

However, I know that soon, all of these cameras will be connected, in every lane. And also there will be a shed load of Average Speed Detection cameras coming soon.

Expect the pits of miserableness

I know this as I know someone who works in the development of these cameras.

SPECS camera's are awkward, but Steve, I dont quite get what you mean by "point your camera and it will glow" - care to elaborate, as I am confused :P SPECS have on some motorways already and previously been linked to each camera, so even flitting lanes doesnt help, you can try the hard shoulder and risk another ripping as they dont tend to be monitored (not that I am condoning it in any way).

There are many different means by which you can try and hide from the camera's - blind them with full beams at night, switch lanes, pull over, have a cup of tea then disappear again.

I find that the average speed functionality of the dashboard is helpful for specs, trigger it as you go in and review it as you go out the zone...

The camera will produce infrared light for plate illumination which is invisible to your eyes but phone cameras will pick up infrared and therefore you will see if the illumination is working.

BTW, changing lanes on SPECS cameras will make no difference as they are linked via a data network and the designers have covered all the dodges. SORRY.

Didnt realise that, might have to give that a go one day!