Show
Photo

Ford Mondeo Tdci 2.2 St 155 Egr Valve..............

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Better still, save yourself £119.99, £140, or £210 - fit a solid, stainless steel EGR blanking plate (about a fiver)

Car pulls better with a little less turbo lag/ less flat spots, EGR housing and inlet manifold stays clean,(no carbon/ muck) and it does not matter if the EGR valve is faulty/ fails - car stays running   

Only potential drawback is EML comes on on a Euro4 compliant engine, but that can be reset periodically with a code reader  

utter rubbish. much better pull & less lag when the EGR is working well. 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Mr Singh

Mr Singh

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name: Nanak
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 115BHP TIVCT Saloon
  • Year: 2006

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

blanking it off is the ONLY way to see if you have a duff EGR valve. its not a permanent solution.

#18 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

blanking it off is the ONLY way to see if you have a duff EGR valve. its not a permanent solution.

dont be silly. the only true way to test an egr valve is to see the voltages from it,and it opening/closing  while car is running.(like i did yesterday with a snap-on ethos reader. it tells you how open/closed the egr valve is& if the vacuum etc is operating normally.).blanking off is to combat smoke problems that older more worn engines emit.its not solving anything,only masking it,& in turn making the problem hidden

#19 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Stevegtuk

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: MONDEO

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

when the local fords chief mechanic blanks it after he has replaced the egr and all the associated parts and says its the only way to stop clouds of black smoke coming out, there has to be some truth to blanking them otherwise he wouldnt put his job on the line by doing it.

#20 Mr Singh

Mr Singh

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name: Nanak
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 115BHP TIVCT Saloon

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

dont be silly. the only true way to test an egr valve is to see the voltages from it,and it opening/closing  while car is running.(like i did yesterday with a snap-on ethos reader. it tells you how open/closed the egr valve is& if the vacuum etc is operating normally.).blanking off is to combat smoke problems that older more worn engines emit.its not solving anything,only masking it,& in turn making the problem hidden

i should have elaborated more in what i said. if you have starting issues and you suspect the EGR valve is stuck open then blank it to confirm the fault if you dont have a diagnostic tool at hand

#21 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

In answer to several posts -  

Ist of all lets not get confused with a working EGR,  a faulty EGR and a blanked EGR  

A working EGR is going to run a better MPG than a faulty one  

But for best possible Performance (including eliminating flat spots and reducing turbo lag) a Blanked EGR is best, it will improve the MPG a little as well

Apart from the instant boost in performance, a blanked EGR helps to maintain the performance in the long term, because a functioning EGR contaminates the EGR housing and inlet manifold with carbon/ soot (gunge) from the exhaust, which will "choke" the engine over time, reducing performance.  

If your EGR valve fails a solid blanking plate costs about £5, this wiill "fix" a faulty EGR and is cheaper than £119.99, £140 or £210, (obviously) 

I've ran a blanked (completely deleted) EGR for a few years now, i know it improves performance (+ i have dyno graphs to proove it) and i know it helps the long term reliability of the engine (if only by preventing the inlet manifold getting coked/ choked up)

Many FOC members have fitted EGR blanking plates to their engines with good results       

#22 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

the original arguement was that the car pulled better/no flat spots etc,better/cheaper,etc.

and i said the car will run better,have less lag,run cooler,etc,when egr is connected & doing its job.

i dont doubt that blanking will stop smoke though.BUT you're only pushing the problem outta sight. AND for a ford chief mechanic to take that short cut,is pretty !REMOVED! up in the 1st place

and when you say many foc member s have blanked with good results,compared to what?  you're only hiding the original problem with the engine,thats what i cant get my head round? why would you wanna tell folk to fit a blanking plate,when they should be finding the reason their cars are smoking like hell! if they spent a few more quid they'd probably find the right reason & not have to resort to shortcuts. egr's are NOT only for emissions,i keep saying,but whats the point,ya's have already decided on the 1 course of action,& to hell with the consequences.oh well

Edited by Stoney871, 22 April 2013 - 10:26 PM.
Bypassing swear filter with starred words is not permitted

#23 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Stevegtuk

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

In answer to several posts -  

Ist of all lets not get confused with a working EGR,  a faulty EGR and a blanked EGR  

A working EGR is going to run a better MPG than a faulty one  

But for best possible Performance (including eliminating flat spots and reducing turbo lag) a Blanked EGR is best, it will improve the MPG a little as well

Apart from the instant boost in performance, a blanked EGR helps to maintain the performance in the long term, because a functioning EGR contaminates the EGR housing and inlet manifold with carbon/ soot (gunge) from the exhaust, which will "choke" the engine over time, reducing performance.  

If your EGR valve fails a solid blanking plate costs about £5, this wiill "fix" a faulty EGR and is cheaper than £119.99, £140 or £210, (obviously) 

I've ran a blanked (completely deleted) EGR for a few years now, i know it improves performance (+ i have dyno graphs to proove it) and i know it helps the long term reliability of the engine (if only by preventing the inlet manifold getting coked/ choked up)

Many FOC members have fitted EGR blanking plates to their engines with good results       

mines been on 18months, no black smoke at all since it was put on, smooth all the way up the rev range, not had to clean the egr because of all the carbon build up and nothing has broken on the car because of it :D

#24 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Stevegtuk

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

the original arguement was that the car pulled better/no flat spots etc,better/cheaper,etc.

and i said the car will run better,have less lag,run cooler,etc,when egr is connected & doing its job.

i dont doubt that blanking will stop smoke though.BUT you're only pushing the problem outta sight. AND for a ford chief mechanic to take that short cut,is pretty fu*ked up in the 1st place

the car runs smoother since the egr has been blanked and less lag also. The only problem was that ford put the egr on in the first place.

#25 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

i didnt say you'd break anything,but you're not running the engine the way its supposed to run. go find a diagnostics kit,& plug it in,in a car with a fully functioning EGR,take it for a run,record the data then store it. blank the egr,reset ecu,take for a run,do the same run,record data(temps etc),then compare the two.Ive done it before. think you'll be surprised.

#26 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

the car runs smoother since the egr has been blanked and less lag also. The only problem was that ford put the egr on in the first place.

+1  exactly

#27 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

here here.i am not saying the egr was a good idea either.

#28 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Stevegtuk

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

i didnt say you'd break anything,but you're not running the engine the way its supposed to run. go find a diagnostics kit,& plug it in,in a car with a fully functioning EGR,take it for a run,record the data then store it. blank the egr,reset ecu,take for a run,do the same run,record data(temps etc),then compare the two.Ive done it before. think you'll be surprised.

it runs smoother, less lag and no black smoke, since blanking it, the diagnostics can say what they like, if its running better who cares if its not running how ford intended.

#29 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Stevegtuk

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

I have been informed by several mechanics, ford and non ford that the black smoke is due to the timing between the egr closing and the turbo kicking in is slightly out. They say the turbo pressure builds up before the egr has completely closed so there is a split second where there is back pressure and inlet air gets blown down the metal pipe from the egr into the exhaust causing the black smoke, this is a known fault but not worth recalling as it isnt of any danger and they cant fix it anyway due to the software system.

#30 stooge75

stooge75

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Firmware updates took care of these issues.Also took care of flat spots & lag issues with variable vane turbos. Better fuel consumption as well due to these corrections

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users