Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Charging On Car

Dave 68

Can anyone please tell me if it is quite safe to charge a battery with the battery in place in the car and the terminals still connected. Many years ago this method was quite safe but am not sure about today. Also do the filler plugs, if present, need to be removed during charging. Thanks.

Dave

Can anyone please tell me if it is quite safe to charge a battery with the battery in place in the car and the terminals still connected. Many years ago this method was quite safe but am not sure about today. Also do the filler plugs, if present, need to be removed during charging. Thanks.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Best to find the serial number from your stereo by following my guide in the list below this post,

Then disconnect the positive feed from the battery prior to connecting the charger to best prevent any chance of damage to the altinator,ecu or fuse board that can be caused by fluctuation in current flow when charging.

But make sure you have your stereo code prior to disconnecting the car from the battery.

Many thanks Lennie and Steve, you have saved me from a possible disaster as I was tempted to do it the lazy way and leave leads connected.

Excellent advice also on how to obtain stereo serial number.

Dave

Many thanks Lennie and Steve, you have saved me from a possible disaster as I was tempted to do it the lazy way and leave leads connected.

Excellent advice also on how to obtain stereo serial number.

Dave

Glad to be of assistance mate,

One last thing regarding batterys,charging and storage of car batterys.

Never store a car battery on the ground or on concrete because this effects the life of the battery due to damp in the ground and their is proven science to back this.

Best to store on a shelf or elevated platform more than 14" from the ground.

You can buy a battery conditioner that keeps them topped up without having to disconnect the battery but they are not cheap. Ive got one as I used to have a car that I rarely took out and you could leave the thing on all year round. But as the guys say, if you are using a normal charger you had best disconnect it.

Bruce, interesting about the conditioner. May come back to you later on that. Like you I don't use my car all that frequently--about once per week. We tend to use my wife's car for daily shopping etc. Am about to use my car today. Hope it starts after this week's cold weather hence the initial request re charging.

Dave

Try something like this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-and-Bike-12v-6v-Battery-Charger-and-Conditioner-/281036291217?pt=UK_Car_Exterior_Accessories&hash=item416f117c91

We use ones like this locally on our Police bikes when parked up overnight as the batteries on them take a lot of abuse from running lights, radios etc and do not get enough charge on a normal daily run.

They just clip straight on to the battery with no need to remove for charging and none of the bikes have failed to start due to battery trouble in at least 5 years that i know of.

This is the upto date version of the one I have:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/optimate/optimate-6-ampmatic-12v.aspx

I am sure there are much cheaper versions available. A friend of mine had a car he hadn't started for three years. I took the battery off and connected my old Optimate up to it for about a week and it fired the car up fine and went on to work for a good few more years.

Thanks Bruce and Clive for the info. I'd never heard of a conditioner but for sheer convenience I think it's worth having one.

Been motoring for 50 years ( always Fords) and still learning something new.

Dave

I have 2 fiestas 2008 and 2004 with only 16k also a spare battery.The 2004 car, came my way 4 years ago due to family bereavment and is used for quite short journeys and once or twice a year needs a help charge... I bought a new battery and it gradually ran down after probably 3 winter months. I had the old battery so tried charging it and it was fine. So now with a spare battery I have a very good chance of starting. . If you change a battery you get a few mins without the radio needing to be re coded. Not sure how long but plenty of time.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club