Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pet Transportation!

b1g_dav3

Howdy guys, just thought I'd make a quick post.

So, how do you all transport your pets in your Ford's? Or how would you if you had pets? Tips and hints?

Mainly starting this up because a lot of the time in accidents where people have their pets in the cars, the pet is usually injured, killed or runs away (from working at a rescue centre).

Here's what I recommend, don't know if it's right and will be happily told so if not :P ;

Domestic cats - carriers are a must, you cannot have a cat free in the car. I also recommend strapping the seatbelt through the carry handle of the carrier, making sure all locks on doors are secure and in good condition. Some carriers have belt hooks (I had one for when my cat was a kitten, though she's too large for a carrier now!) and are great. Make sure if it doesn't have a 'liquid collector' in the bottom to take towels, just in case! And have a towel on the base just for comfort.

Small dogs - I would imagine a carrier can be used, depending on how small the dog is. Or a cardboard box or something, just so they can't fall down into the footwells. Harnesses are cheap enough with belt attachments, just don't put an attachment onto the collar as it could strangle them. Beware of fear related accidents, wee + nice clean seat = bad times!

Medium dogs - I'd imagine same as small dogs, just minus a box really seeing they're larger.

Larger dog - Here I would say you need a guard, just because they can be a distraction and such. Universal ones work best and put them between the seat rows, as I personally don't believe in putting a dog in the boot due to rear end accidents.

Well there you go, that's what I recommend! :P

My set for my cat up is a cage I have built that goes across the entire back seat of the car, clips in to the seat belts, isofix anchors and into a set of clips I have put below the back seats, with opening ends at both sides of the car. Not ideal really, but I don't have the ability to fold the back seats flat (which may be a deal breaker for my next car) so that's the best I can do. She's way too big for a standard carrier and she'd be quite heavy to lift in a large cage carrier, so it's a must, and she's too inquisitive to be left in the back without anything as a barrier. Oh, and she'd likely shred my seats too >.<

Thanks for your time! Please post any little tips you may have at all.

I have two dogs in the back of my car nearly every day and sometimes three if I include the non work dog too.

Most of the time I have proper dog carriers in the boot which gives enough space for two dogs to have a unit each and still leave enough space alongside to carry the usual boot items.

When carrying all three I remove the double carrier and fit a ford standard grill which hooks onto the rear seat locking brackets.

In the summer I have a cooling fan that I run from my boot 12v socket I fitted and also leave the rear windows slightly down and never ever leave the dogs in the car if I'm not in it (unlike some officers as reported in the news).

My work car is fully air conditioned in the rear and I have a dash thermometer screen which gives me an accurate reading of the temperature in the dog carriers fitted in the back.

Standard procedure in hot weather is to open the hatch whenever parked up with the engine off for more than 5 minutes.

My pet hate (forgive the pun) is people who drive around with dogs loose in the car, on parcel shelves and with leads tied around grab handles.

I quite often pull people with dogs in the cars over if I feel that they could benefit from a bit of friendly advice.

I have had a few occasions where I have actually seized dogs when I have felt that they were at risk due to the nature of their carriage.

I've smashed a couple of windows in the past to get dogs out of cars, I hate hot weather because owners just are so damn irresponsible. I don't have rear windows, but I rarely set off with my windows up unless it's freezing weather (got window deflectors, but don't want to end up with my windows frozen open), and never leave my cat in the car without me in it (besides, never seen a sign saying no cats except in zoos!) though with 3 dogs I'd imagine popping for dinner somewhere isn't so easy :P. One time this year there were like 15 people around a car all saying how horrible it was that a dog was in a car, it passed out and they just stood there -.- smashed the window myself as I was dammed if I was waiting for the police that nobody had even decided to try and call and took the poor animal to a sanctuary, where luckily the dog made a recovery and was re-homed later by the RSPCA. Of the 3 cars I've rescued dogs from, not a single one has bothered me for a replacement window :P.

How safe are animals in the boot? Just scared to put my cat in the boot, but she could really do with the extra room if honest >.<

Tbh dogs in the boot are just as safe as anywhere else in the vehicle.

My lunch breaks are usually taken sat in the patrol car anyway so the dogs are never left by themselves.

If anything like admin take me off the road then I have access to temporary kennels in the courtyard where they can rest and eat/drink in peace.

You should see the handbook I have concerning the welfare rules for working dogs, not exactly bedtime reading.

My dogs are spoiled, pampered and coddled like you wouldn't believe, they eat better than me.

Everything they eat is recorded, approved and I'm only allowed to give them authorised extras and treats but everything is top quality.

May look in to something to fit in the boot, although got a feeling with the curve of the boot it might not work so well; might have to get a Focus as my next car I think, my Fiesta isn't really pet friendly, especially only being 2 door >.<

Need something secure as the vet I use is nearly 30 miles away :P

I have 5 of these...

IMG_20120927_150148.jpg

and one of these...

IMG_20120910_120036.jpg

which obviously isn't a Ford.

But, I transport my doggies like this...

IMG_20120620_202859.jpg

IMG_20120607_212401.jpg 

Huskies. Oldest two (first pic) are 3 in May next year, Skye (in the cage) is just 2, and the other two are 14 months old.

Enough for two racing teams :-)

Do you actually race them or just breed/keep as pets?

Beautiful dogs, i have 2 friends with Malamutes and they are huge balls of fur and attitude.

I have a Malinois, a Springer and a Collie.

Jed-

jed23.jpg

Willow-

1.jpg

Jake-

HPIM0034.jpg

All mad as fish and a full time task to look after.

They're pets, but we do actually race them (although not competitively in organised events yet as the pups are still too young)

I guess Jed & Willow are your work dogs? (We use Mals as GP dogs and Springers as drug and explosive dogs in Hampshire)

Indeed, Jed is a dual purpose dog (AES and drug) and willow is patrol and armed response support.

Jake was initially training as drug search but didn't work out on initial training due to having a nervous disposition but still can smell drugs like a good un.

Indeed, Jed is a dual purpose dog (AES and drug) and willow is patrol and armed response support.

Jake was initially training as drug search but didn't work out on initial training due to having a nervous disposition but still can smell drugs like a good un.

:lol: I'm thinking of training Sully as a drug dog, because whenever I request one I'm always told "we don't have one on duty today!"

My cat caught a bird if that counts as working? :P

:lol: I'm thinking of training Sully as a drug dog, because whenever I request one I'm always told "we don't have one on duty today!"

&#33;Removed&#33; cutbacks, i'm on duty 6 nights in a row this week and have tomorrow off from 7am then back onto days on sunday at 7am.

My cat caught a bird if that counts as working? :P

Er nope! that's hunting :P

Damn, guess my cat is quite useless then, especially seeing she isn't actually allowed out of my garden without proper care. Though it was an achievement, she jumped from the back door and caught the bird as it took off lol. Mum wasn't so impressed at feathers all over the garden though >.<

Hopefully will be taking her into a school this week though :P so I suppose that counts!

Lizzie (Labrador) is transported in a focus with a dog guard which I think came from the local ford dealer