Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Problem - Urgent

Mark Akers

Hi All,

I'm new here and only been driving 3 weeks ago, passed my test in November and also have no idea about cars!

I'm running an '03 plate Mk6 Fiesta, 1.4 Zetec - Fully standard apart from wheels / springs. (not too bad for a first car!)

Anyhow, recently, since the weather started getting colder, on the odd occasion my car has been going VERY slow & "AEC Failure" has appeared on the dash but when I switch my car off/on it's fine.

Also, tonight, I was driving and going down a hill, nothing un-usual, doing 45 Mph and I heard a "click" from my clutch and my clutch pedal appeared to lose any compression and do nothing. It has raised higher than the other two pedals and when pressed down does nothing and almost falls down.

I managed to get the car towed home, but it is not also stuck in reverse! I can not tow the car to a garage as I can not get it out of reverse so I'm all round at a loss really.

Was just wondering if this could be a simple problem or a large thing?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks, Mark

post-39254-0-49404500-1355439064_thumb.j

Don't know what AEC failure is, but if it's lost power but then recovers when you switch off then on again, I'd suggest it's probably some sort of "limp mode" to protect the engine (You'll probably need a diagnostics check to find out what is wrong)

As far as being stuck in reverse is concerned, the gear selector linkage is on the front of the gearbox on a Mk6 Fiesta (I know, I have one, same year as yours, but the Black edition)

It's under a black plastic cover. If you take the cover off, you should be able to move the selector about and pop the car out of reverse so you can get it towed

Good luck!

That's great - thanks for the reply!

I'm not to clued up on cars so don't suppose you'd be able to post a pic of where it is under the bonnet?

& yep, been told to get the AEC Failure checked out by connecting it to a code reader so I shall be getting it all done together (once I manage to get it out of reverse!)

look at the rear of your clutch pedal, i will put money on it that the hydraulic actuator part has detached from the pedal.

it will clip back on but it will work its way off again eventually

Thanks for the reply.

However too late now:( Got it too a garage and they've said it will be £250 because it needs a new Hydraulic something or other.

Mark

Thanks for the reply.

However too late now:( Got it too a garage and they've said it will be £250 because it needs a new Hydraulic something or other.

Mark

oh dear, sounds like you are being ripped off to be honest mate. it can be fixed without the need to replace it

all you need is a good cable tie or even a small jubilee clip. IIRC there is a guy on eBay selling serated washers to fit them for a couple of quid.

ok a slight rip off for a little clip but..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-MK6-CLUTCH-PEDAL-REPAIR-KIT-LOCKING-WASHER-/181041816205?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AFiesta&hash=item2a26eee28d

Oh yes I was looking at these but have never seen them before so wasn't to sure what it was!

I'd much rather pay £5 then what I'm going to have to lol but I suppose the good outcome is, I'll have a full new clutch system so that shouldn't go again and I'm guessing it hasn't been changed within its 9 years.

Mark

Oh yes I was looking at these but have never seen them before so wasn't to sure what it was!

I'd much rather pay £5 then what I'm going to have to lol but I suppose the good outcome is, I'll have a full new clutch system so that shouldn't go again and I'm guessing it hasn't been changed within its 9 years.

Mark

well you will have a new master cylinder, but yes i would like to think you wont have any bother with it again.

I once fitted a new master cylinder (supplied by customer) to a fiesta which had done this and it lasted 2 months before it did the same thing. I normally take off the pedal and drill a 2mm hole in the post which the arm hooks onto and put a split-pin through it. Basically a design fault.