Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stereo Upgrade

Delankster

Strange one that mate cause i thought 6metre was a standard length they supplied with the cameras. Don't see any way a 5 metre cable could reach that far. Was thinking maybe its cause your camera is further down the boot lid it has slightly further than mine to travel. But even then a 6 metre should be long enough so you must have 5metre.

I'm not sure exactly what to ask for mate, I just been called it video cable. So you've already routed it around the boot lid, threaded it through the rubber conduit, into the car, around the edge of the roof liner and its currently in the passenger footwell area? If so, what I'd do is purchase a short length of video cable if they do it, 1-2metres maybe and cut the plug off your cable currently in the footwell if you havent done already. Then cut one of the plugs off the new video cable and splice the video cables together to extend it, rather than pee about unrouting it. But if you'd profer, just unroute it and get a 6 or 7metre video cable n do it all again.

With the red and black wire from the camera, yup it needs to go to the reverse light. But the length i was supplied with myself was only

1.5metre which is way short. So if you've read my guide you'll know I had to extend mine by a few metre.

Once extended, route it the same way as the other wire into the car via the rubber conduit between the boot lid n car, but then what you do is remove a few trim pieces in the boot and route it down to the reverse light. If you go on my guide I've took photos of all the trim pieces to remove.

Concening having the camera on while driving, yup you can. On my head unit there is an option in the menu to turn it on while driving, except if you do this, you'll just get a black screen as the camera only has power while in reverse. So what you need to do is also wire it to a permanant live on ignition feed and install a switch, so you can swith the camera on n off as you please when not in reverse. If doing this though you really wanna fit a relay as well.

I'm still in the process of wiring it up to be used when not just in reverse myself, thought i'd done it all n had it working, but then while on the motorway i discovered that turning the camera on by the switch with the way i've currently got it wired, some how cuts out the cruise control. So i've got a bit more wiring to do yet once i completely suss it out n get time to do it.

Cheers for the reply, only just spotted it, and I was up and at it for 10 this morning, basically done what youve said anyway, everything is now connected, just waiting on my extension for the video cable, mums gone to pick it up for me lol. They sell a 1.5m extension in maplins, so once I get that, i can test it,,, the tension is killin me haha. Will update later.

have you extended the twin core red n black wire and spliced it into the reverse light? Soon as you got the extension you should be laughing mate.

oh yeah, on the wiring loom that came with head unit itself, is there an odd wire on it labeled 'reverse gear signal input'? should be violet/white in colour i think.

Do I need to connect that wire ??? I'm up and running, but the camera isnt switching automatically when selecting reverse, I have to manually select camera.

Yes mate, I found this out after writing up the guide. The reverse gear signal input wire also needs to go to the reverse light.

So what i did, was get a long length of twin core wire but only use the red wire of it.

Wire that to the reverse gear signal wire, route that the same way of the video wire along the roof liner, and then route it down into the boot where i spliced into the live feed for the camera.

Then to set it up in the head unit, you need the camera turned off in the menu, but then in the settings menu, find where it says camera polarity and you need to set this to battery. The head unit will now automatically turn the camera on when reverse gear is selected.

God dam it lol, so gotta run another wire down the car then,, good job the radio isn't actually fastened in yet, can't get it to click into place, it will only go so far, its almost there, but now I'm paranoid coz of the amount of wiring behind the unit,,, there is loads of it, and not much room grrr

Yes mate unfortnately

With the wire you've already connected to the reverse light, did you pierce a hole in the rubber thing in the boot like i did and thread the wire down under the car?

I know what you mean about the amount of wiring behind the stereo, theres !Removed! loads n it took me a fair while to ram the head unit far enough into the dash. All you can do is try and squash the bulk of it flat behind the heating controls.

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys

Can I pick your brains because you all seem very experienced and know your way around the ford audio wiring.

I have fitted an aftermarket touch screen with can bus but still can't get the steering wheel controls to work.

When I look in the ford quadlock at pin 6 and 8 which should have these swc wires there is nothing.

There are 3 wires separate not connected to anything white/purple white/grey and 1 black can you tell me if these are the swc wires that I need to connect appreciate any feedback.

Thanks