Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 Whining Gearbox/bearings? *videos*

Britishhawk

Had a whining noise for a few months, it seems to have developed. Under acceleration and deceleration it whines, more noticeable and loudest in 1st and 2nd.. continues to whine in the background in 3rd especially around 2k revs. Tonight however, when accelerating in 1st then depressing the clutch I can hear a whining /whirring noise that seems consistent with the engine revs, it continues when at a stop and gradually slows down and stops after a few seconds.

Sounds like something spinning after the clutch has been disengaged? Higher the revs the louder the whine. Higher the revs the longer the noise continues until eventually whirring down to a stop.

Few videos that pick up the whining on acceleration/coming down the revs. Not sure if this is normal.. Very hard to pick up with an exhaust too, turn the Speakers up..

Any Ideas?

Listened to both and I can't hear anything out of the ordinary.

Is this an econetic model?

1.6 Zetec-S - When youre actually in the car it sounds like reverse in 1st and 2nd, background whining continues in 3rd and 4th. Its driving me mad !

How many miles has the car done?

Could be clutch release bearing if it's still noisy while stationary.

42,000 - 2009 Car. I did think that but there's no apparent noise when stationary. Think it could be the bearings, low mileage replacement gearbox is cheaper than a rebuild!

Did you buy this car second hand?

Could be a driving school car.

There won't be, a private owner to hide the past use and window stickers to advertise the driving school.

hi mate , i have the exact same noise , same car........i have noticed it worse when engine is cold and goes quiet when warm....mine has only done 25000....been told in the past it can just be a tight bearing not worn.....also noticed how much heavier the clutch is when cold.... :)

I cant hear anything out of the ordinary. However if your front wheel tracking is out, it can give you a noise that sounds much the same as you described. It may be worth getting that checked before you start spending any big money. The next thing would then be to get the gear oil level checked.

• 4 years later...

I've got a similar problem with mine atm been to the garage I normally would use and they said mine is the gearbox bearing so it needs rebuilding with new bearings put back in. Also getting the clutch done at the same time they have quoted me £1173 for gearbox rebuild and clutch with labour costs etc. Is this a good quote or should I shop around? Mines only done just over 52,000 miles it's a fiesta titanium 1.4 petrol with zetec kit 2009 model