Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Focus Windscreen Sensor...?

Loz Cheung

Hi everyone,

Never really figured out what the sensor behind my rear view mirror is on my windscreen.

I dont have auto wipers/lights and the only thing I can locate it too is either the 'Active city stop' or Auto high beam' according to the manual.

Thing is, i cant find these settings on the info/trip computer though...? :huh:

Anyone know what it might be for?

Cheers :)

Search the web for ford etis and enter your registration or vin where asked.

That will bring up your build data and hopefully help identify the sensor.

Btw, do you have standard air conditioning or climate control? Maybe it's a sensor for climate control?

On the Mk2 focus, ones with climate control have a sensor on the dash which help to balance inside temperature with outside conditions.

could it be sensor for the central locking? unsure about the focus but that where it was on my mk3 cav

I have three sensors on mine , large one is Radar for City Stop and ACC , two smaller ones are rain and lights.

The one on yours could be an extra that they did not wire in perhaps. take a closer look at it see if its one or two sensors , if its two then maybe you can buy a switch and get auto lights working.

the climate sensor is only there if you have climate control

I did have a look on Etis but couldnt spot anything as such, i might post it on here to see if any one is more eagle eyed than i am!

I'll have a closer look for any possible sensors hidden in the blackness, I have standard air con so can cross that off the list :) and i havent noticed them on any other focus's apart from the Titanium upwards!

But yes, it could very well not be wired in, are the covers easy to take off?

But yes, it could very well not be wired in, are the covers easy to take off?

TBH not tried to get the covers off but i would imagine they will just unclip , then you will be able to see if the sensor is wired there are a couple of over people with Zetec's so i wonder if they have a sensor on the screen as well.

My car is a Zetec, do you mean these black tabs?...

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/64013_10151384881328478_881486805_n.jpg

I assumed they were either ariels for DAB or light sensors (you'll notice the brightness of the stereo screen changes depending on how dark it is, and ambient lighting comes on when it gets dark)

Just a thought :)

ahhh not not quite! it extends further down behind the rear view mirror :)

i'll get a pic this weekend as well as having a go dismantling it :)

I'll take a picture of mine too compare them then

Hi everyone,

Never really figured out what the sensor behind my rear view mirror is on my windscreen.

I dont have auto wipers/lights and the only thing I can locate it too is either the 'Active city stop' or Auto high beam' according to the manual.

Thing is, i cant find these settings on the info/trip computer though...? :huh:

Anyone know what it might be for?

Cheers :)

There's a lot of sensors behind the rear view mirror. My Focus has Lane keeper and a sensor for it (scanning the lane separator line i the middle of the road + on the road shoulder, Active City Stop, and camera that reads traffic signs. Have had a couple of error messages due to dirt on the sensors/cameras. This was solved by a single wiper sweep. The answer to your questions could be multiple, also adding the option that your car is equipped with a sensor pack in the window suited for cars with higher specs and some functions are not available on your car.

Regards from Norway

My car is a Zetec, do you mean these black tabs?...

https://fbcdn-photos...881486805_n.jpg

I assumed they were either ariels for DAB or light sensors (you'll notice the brightness of the stereo screen changes depending on how dark it is, and ambient lighting comes on when it gets dark)

Just a thought :)

Pardon, but the to black boxes seems aftermarket style . My DAB antenna is mounted on the roof (30 cm'ish whip type) and alle of the sensor are grouped in a console and not visible on by one

Heres the pic i took of it today.

Theres a 2 part cover that meet in the middle : The top part between the roof and mirror front - unclips if you pull downwards.

Then the larger part (that extends down) thats clips to the mirror mount at the back of the mirror itself that just pulls straight vertically down.

There seems to be something wired in, but not sure!

post-18560-0-84600500-1356545271_thumb.j

How many lens can you see from the out side?

That to me looks like an auto dimming mirror.

Auto dimming mirror has a small round sensor on the glass side to detect the lights.

That sensor has got to be rain and light sensor , but with out the switches fitted to the car.

if the front shows two sensors then they are rain/light sensors and the only other sensor you get on the Mk3 focus is the front radar which sit just under that sensor box in the picture.

I had a look from the outside and cant seem to see any sensors ! Looks like they just blacked out that section of the glass completely.

So i guess i have a sensor box....with no sensors! Nice.

Shame they dont wire up the rest of the car with the other missing bits, i miss the simplicity of plug-in footwell lights (simple things :rolleyes: )

Pardon, but the to black boxes seems aftermarket style . My DAB antenna is mounted on the roof (30 cm'ish whip type) and alle of the sensor are grouped in a console and not visible on by one

I also have a roof mounted aerial - usual thing on cars now. Nothing aftermarket has been added, apart from my GPS speed camera detector which i clip above the rear view mirror. The two black tabs have always been there. I am going into Allen Ford tomorrow so will have a look and see if their Zetec is the same. Anyone else on here have them?

I had a look from the outside and cant seem to see any sensors ! Looks like they just blacked out that section of the glass completely.

So i guess i have a sensor box....with no sensors! Nice.

Shame they dont wire up the rest of the car with the other missing bits, i miss the simplicity of plug-in footwell lights (simple things :rolleyes: )

Had a good look at a friend's brand new ZS yesterday, and he has the same thing. The box is there and ample room for the sensors underneath. Perhaps the box at the top is all wired in but just needs activating? We are going to have a play with an auto light switch and the IDS software to see if it can be activated - will report back what we find ;)

Can confirm both Zetecs at Allen Ford are exactly the same as mine, so clearly not an aftermarket fitment.

Had a play with an auto light switch and the IDS software on my Zetec and a mate's Zetec S (who has the sensor block on the windscreen) and no luck I'm afraid...

Well i finally got out in the cold and took a picture of the sensors :)

Large sensor on mine is the Radar for the city Stop and Lane departure

post-22424-0-59696900-1356882675_thumb.j

Cheers Pree, yeah none of that for me!

But there you go, maybe its cheaper to fit them all with sensor boxes rather than...not :huh:

Do you guys (and your friend Jimrex) have SYNC on your stereo? how do you find it? im hoping for an update soon as i find it really slow!

But there you go, maybe its cheaper to fit them all with sensor boxes rather than...not :huh:

Do you guys (and your friend Jimrex) have SYNC on your stereo? how do you find it? im hoping for an update soon as i find it really slow!

I dont think theres an update for European models just yet. I tried to download an update from the US site but they didnt accept my WIN number. Regarding the slow respond on some commands, I fiddled around in the SYNC settings and It appears now slighly more responsive and with some added functions. I dont know what i did step by step, but I can check the enabeled/disabeled functions in the menu

No SYNC on mine. I would be interested to know Loz if you ever take stereo out , on the left hand side rear is another 10 pin connection , i wonder if its for the SYNC module as it's not connected on mine , unless its for the boot Sub perhaps , so if you ever take yours apart let me know if yours is connected or not.

SYNC does it just add readback for Text messages , what else does it do i have not really read up on it.

I have just read through what extras SYNC would add , it seems a small upgrade on what i curretly have , with perhaps easier dialing without programming you phone book into the car.

When using my Phone i have Vlingo in Car App , which auto starts with bluetooth in the car , which i can do the same and more as SYNC, reads / writes text messages and easy dial etc , also i can just Hey Vlingo take to me too ! and it will start satnav . I was going to enquire at Ford about seeing if it can be installed , but looking at it they would charge hundreds for something i have free in an App.

Cheers Biggame, ive only had a brief scroll so i'll have a good look and play around.

it takes ages linking to the ipod and crashes mid journey. it just doesnt seem particularly stable? Could also be the ipod at fault, but hasnt happened in previous cars!

Pree, I may have a look for you when i update the software soon! Yes, it reads out text messages (yet to be done) and calls 112 via your phone if you crash and deploy the airbags.

Apart from that its essentially the same as your voice control :) you just read what commands are listed on the screen now rather than remembering them.

He's only had his for 4 days so it's all very new to him, it's exactly the same as yours! He's on the forum, used to have a MK7 Fiesta - jmbrown91

Precisely! The only reason we couldn't have a proper play with the IDS on his ZS is that it was too new for the software version but I'm sure we'll get over that hurdle and let you know what can be done - for instance, we enabled ambient lighting in my Zetec! ;) (though, may not be possible as it seems Ford dont put the sunglasses holder part in the Zetec or Zetec S now, certainly from the ones I saw yesterday)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club