Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Name: Nash
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2007

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hi guys, just had my car code read and the results were P1408 EGR flow out of self test range and Turbo boost pressure not detected, they said its in limp mode, but the guys at the garage could not establish the location of the egr valve to remove and try and dislodge any soot on it, so my question is, does anyone know where the EGR valve is located on a 1.6 tdci sport 2007 and also how much roughly is it going to cost me to fix these problems, also the other thing is that the turbo impeller is very wobbly it feels like its about to fall off, does that mean the turbo is on its way out or already gone hence the turbo boost pressure not detected?

Thank you in advance.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 mick85

mick85

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

If there excess play in turbo replace if it breaks up could be bye bye engine an egr valve at back of engine closer to gearbox u be look min 2 hour to remove an clean best cleanin intake at same time

#33 Fuzz

Fuzz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

ohhhhh ok, I guess its time to look for a turbo then, any suggestions on where I can get one on a rather limited budget and am I better off getting a used or reconditioned one.

Also how do I go about cleaning the intake and which part do you mean ecxactly..sorry I dint get that part.

#34 mick85

mick85

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

I would go for recondition turbo change oil an clean all turbo pipes has ur car good service history serviced right mileage an right time year intake manifold new air filter make sure no dirt wats ur mileage

#35 Fuzz

Fuzz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:24 AM

It was last serviced in Jan 2013 and its a month overdue, actually I was taking it in for a service when the problems started and the guys at the garage said to bring it in on monday so they can properly id the problem but am thinking they may end up telling me large sums of money to pay thats why I was thinking of diagnosing and fixing it myself and the other thing now is that I'm scared to drive it anymore before changing that turbo because the noise from the compressor blade got worse the last time I drove it home, it might be reaching breaking point.

the milage is 84k and its got the last 4 years of traceable service upto last year. 

#36 mick85

mick85

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

When u start ur car do u let it idle for couple min when u start it an let it idle before u turn engine off do u ever drive it hard before properly heated up all also remove intercooler an clean when replacing turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

#37 Fuzz

Fuzz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

Actually I dont do the things you mentioned, I just start and go and also when I stop, I just turn it off and yes I've driven hard from cold start some times in a rush, seems like I killed it then?..

Where do I find the intercooler 

Thankx again for your advise

#38 mick85

mick85

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

Not that u killed it but they just all steps to help keep turbo alive longer we both no it's not an ideal world sometime u in a rush an can't afford hang around intercooler in front of radiator

#39 Fuzz

Fuzz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

That's true man thankx for your help...

hope you're having a good weekend

#40 mick85

mick85

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Also does ur car be smokey in morning diesel injectors are common to leak over night past rings into oil contaminating it

#41 Fuzz

Fuzz

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

been busy most of the afternoon trying to get the turbo and egr valve off the car and had some trouble with the two nuts at the top, they wer a nightmare to get off but eventually got them out and as for the smoking bit, its never smoked ever the tail pipe is so clean you wouldnt think its a diesel engine its spotless and just passed its mot a few days ago.

whats the best egr valve cleaner out there, if i leave it soaking in white spirit over night do you think that could cause any damage to it? 

#42 martyntdci

martyntdci

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Name: martin
  • Ford Model: focus titanium x/comms/sports pack
  • Year: 2008

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Does your car have a Euro 4 EGR. My understanding is that a vacuum operated EGR is Euro 3 while motorised is Euro 4? The solid blanking plate should bring on the eml light on a Euro 4 .. as I understand it anyway. Did this happen with you?

i forgot all bout this, so sos sorry for the reply dude...  my car has a euro 4, and yes the egr is electric... no there is no eml light on, or there has never been on since i fitted the first plate...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1.8 tdci, egr, cleaning egr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users