Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

david295

Constant Whineing Noise

7 posts in this topic

My car has developed a whineing noise, and i am 99.9% certain its coming from alt as done the trick with screaw driver on alt and ear to screaw driver., when i first start car a squeak can be heard coming from belt end of engine, this has allways done this, but whineing noise only happened 2 days ago.

A mate said he can change bearing in alt and this will solve it, saves buying new alt.

By the way it's a 2.0 zetec. 2000.

Is changing bearing an easy job.

and is it worth changing anything else whilst alt and belt is off.

Its just ticked over to 150 thosand miles.

A trick i use to see if its the bearing is spray wd40 onto it whilst its going if noise goes then its the bearing try it

Good idea, be careful not to get WD40 on the belt.

Tempted to say, check it's not the other half making the whining noise. :D

If it is the alternator bearing there is a risk of it breaking up or seizing so I wouldn't hang about getting it fixed

thanks for all advice, much appreciated, its getting done today.

it was not the alt, it was alt belt tensioner pulley, tried all motor factors, they all only sold the full tensioner not just pulley, so I temporary put one on from a scrap car, untill i can source a new pulley wheel, car is nice and quiet again.