• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GR8GUY

GR8GUY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Ford Model: ka

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Hi all. I have just bought a 53 plate ford Ka 1.3 today. The only fault I can find is that the battery warning light is constantly illuminated. I checked the battery voltage and it was 12.7 with ingition off. Once running it goes up to exactly 14 volts and stays there. Do these readings fall into the expected bracket for healthy circuit ?
What voltage would it normally dip to when engine is turning over ?
Are there any other checks I should be making to identify the problem ?
The car was sold as seen so Ive no issue whatsoever with this I just want to rectify the fault.
Any help and advice would be very welcome

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 delboy

delboy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Name: martin
  • Ford Model: c-max ghia 1.8 petrol
  • Year: 2004

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

the battery voltage sound fine so i would suspect the
alternator as i had the same on my fiesta. the red warning light tells you is the alternator m8
try the following

http://www.videojug....rs-alternator-2

try here for a replacement alternator
breakersyard.co.uk
unless you can source one locally that is m8

keep us posted but i would bet it's the alternator not the battery

i hope this is of help to you m8

#3 GR8GUY

GR8GUY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for quick reply ! It actually sounds like the alternator is working fine as the voltage wouldnt increase if it were faulty.The guy in video confirms this. Im going to see how long the battery holds its charge for to see if there is a problem.
Are there any common wiring / fuse faults to check on ford Ka ?

#4 GR8GUY

GR8GUY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Hi all, I think Ive identified at least part of the problem. Theres a cable with 3 wires coming the wiring loom towards alternator but they arent connected to anything. I think they should connect to the plug sitting on alternator. Can anyone do me a huge favour and send me a picture of what the plug should look like ? Im not sure if the wires should go directly onto the plug thats there or if there is a top part connector missing from that plug. A picture of the alternator connector would make it all clear for me. Hope someone can help :wub:

#5 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,194 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi all, I think Ive identified at least part of the problem. Theres a cable with 3 wires coming the wiring loom towards alternator but they arent connected to anything. I think they should connect to the plug sitting on alternator. Can anyone do me a huge favour and send me a picture of what the plug should look like ? Im not sure if the wires should go directly onto the plug thats there or if there is a top part connector missing from that plug. A picture of the alternator connector would make it all clear for me. Hope someone can help :wub:

these will be the wires for the smart charge system, they should be connected otherwise you will experience the battery light and also a conventional alternator voltage value (which is lower than the smart charge alternator as it reverts back if disconnected)

#6 GR8GUY

GR8GUY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Thanks stef !
Would I be correct in saying that the car charging system will still function with this disconnected ? Is only downside that the battery light will remain illuminated and car gets slightly less cranking power ? The car wouldnt start today (and coughed a bit yesterday) despite seemingly plenty cranking power .
I appreciate its not ideal but does that mean that I can continue with the current alternator setup and start looking at plugs leads or crankshaft sensor to identify the starting issue ?

#7 delboy

delboy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

http://www.google.co...9QEwAg&dur=1946

there is a 2 pin plug & a single wire bolted on from memory.
you should be able to remove both from looking at the alt from the top.

the wire plug your looking at sounds like it a non connected item as ford tend to use a std loom for
each model and connect the parts they need depending on the level of equipment fitted

i would have the alternator checked as it sounds as its had it day or ask a friend if you can try his battery if the same spec or
replace battery as you dont know the age of the one you have there.

http://www.advancedb...battery063.html

£35.00 inc next day delivery
this is where i get my batterys from

this is what i would do
go get the 2 items check by a garage as they will do it free then see what they say as
they will do a proper check then depending on what they say i would :-

replace battery so that way you have eliminated that.
if no good then replace alternator
you can get them for about £35.00 inc postage from the breakers yard

keep us posted m8

#8 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,194 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thanks stef !
Would I be correct in saying that the car charging system will still function with this disconnected ? Is only downside that the battery light will remain illuminated and car gets slightly less cranking power ? The car wouldnt start today (and coughed a bit yesterday) despite seemingly plenty cranking power .
I appreciate its not ideal but does that mean that I can continue with the current alternator setup and start looking at plugs leads or crankshaft sensor to identify the starting issue ?

yes the charging system will still function but not to the extent it would with the smart charge functioning. so you might only be charging the battery to 80% for example.

if the engine is turning over healthy enough then i suspect your battery is fine

Is there any chance you can take a pic of your alternator and this 3 wire plug? would help us out greatly.

#9 GR8GUY

GR8GUY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Posted Image

#10 delboy

delboy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

thats a pic of alt with plug on it. got a piccy of the 3 pin plug you have said about

#11 GR8GUY

GR8GUY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

I managed to get picture of another Ka owners car showing the plug with wires connected .Mine is same but my 3 wires have been snipped clean. I will need to get a replacement plug for mine to see if it solves my issue. Is there any way I can test if the smartcharge is working by checking any of the 3 cut wires ? ( Just in case Im wasting my time and money getting a plug ) .

#12 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Lawman

• Super Mod
  • 12,877 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Is there a possibility that the alternator is a non Ford replacement that didn't have smartcharge fitted to it?
That may explain the cut wires?

#13 GR8GUY

GR8GUY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hi stoney, The alternator on mine is identicle to one in picture above with the same connector.Im guessing its original

#14 GR8GUY

GR8GUY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi all, I managed to get hold of a replacement plug from scrapyard. I connected it to existing wires plugged it in and the car started.(Battery light still illuminates but at least its starting now)
The main problem I have now though is that once it starts it really struggles to reach tick over. If i touch accelerator it just cuts out. I have to start it leave it churning over and wait on it gaining a regular tick over speed.
Once its running it drives relatively fine. Can anyone suggest the most likely cause ? Help me get it running for christmas :lol:

#15 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,194 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

so does it idle and run ok once its warmed up?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery, alternator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users