Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Cutting Out After Motorway Journey

Broken_focus

Hi

I've got a 2009 58-plate Focus 1.8tdci Zetec S that had done 78000miles, and it's been fine up until a month ago. I was on way down to Northampton, and after leaving the motorway after a 70odd mile stint the car just die when I came to stop at the roundabout. The car then would start. I had no warning lights up at all, when tried to start it it just never fired up. Anyway after a long wait Green Flag came out and diagnostic it and it came up with fuel pressure issue. I had to get recovered home, but cos it was a weekend garage was closed so go recovered home. Then on Monday, tried it and still wouldnt start, got towed to garage and then it magically started!! So I ran it for next month, just local driving and it was fine. Then at the weekend when on motorway again, shorter journey this time, but same thing happened when left motorway and came to stop, but this time it started after 20mins and was fine for rest of journey. Took it to garage again and diagnostic it again, but it came up with no problem.

Been told it might be fuel pump or fuel rail, but don't want to chuck money at the car if it's not going to fix it, and we won't be sure if it's fixed becuase when it's at the garage it's not broken!

Has anyone else had a similar problem or know what the problem might be?

Regards

Mike

Start with the crank position sensor as it's a cheap part then if no help i'd get the fuel pressure sensor on the common rail checked.

When was the car last serviced?

If not recently then I'd look to air or fuel filter.

Cheers for the quick response!

It was only serviced at 75000 and it did have fuel filter done along with the other filters.

Would the crank sensor only cause it to happen when it's been running constantly at high revs (80mph is about 2700rpm) for a sustained period of time? It's fine round town and when in the country when you're accelerating and deaccelerating all the time.

I'm not a mechanic, but am I right in thinking that basically this sensor is getting 'stuck' in a position when I'm doing motorway speeds for a period of time and when I change speed the sensor isn't changing so it's then not the right conditions for the engine to work?

Cheers for the quick response!

It was only serviced at 75000 and it did have fuel filter done along with the other filters.

Would the crank sensor only cause it to happen when it's been running constantly at high revs (80mph is about 2700rpm) for a sustained period of time? It's fine round town and when in the country when you're accelerating and deaccelerating all the time.

I'm not a mechanic, but am I right in thinking that basically this sensor is getting 'stuck' in a position when I'm doing motorway speeds for a period of time and when I change speed the sensor isn't changing so it's then not the right conditions for the engine to work?

A lot of the time they seem to cause problems after the engine has heated up and switched off. Leave it half an hour and they work again.

To answer the last bit of your question, no as the crank sensor is constantly picking up a signal from the flywheel rotating

• 2 months later...

We having the same problem in a 2005 Foucu 1.9TDCI. Did you get to to the bottom of it?

I have actually changed my car now, however the cause of the problem in mine was too much air getting into the fuel mixture. It might be the fuel filter housing that is drawing air into the fuel, causing it to cut out on long journeys.

I seem to have missed this thread! I would have recommended the fuel filter from personal experience... Sorry that I didnt come across it sooner!

Hopefully exchanging the cars wasnt too problematic, did you stick with Ford or have you moved away from them?